Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voter Registration

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Large file http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/0/588f0ce7a372f8c480256b7c0042de9d/$FILE/euro99.doc

Mary Banotti (FG)
    Niall Andrews (FF)
    Patricia McKenna (GP)
    Proinsias De Rossa (LAB)

Originally posted by Imposter
    I know I can vote here in EU and Local elections but not in national elections as i'm not a citizen. The reason I asked was because of the rules for voting that you posted above. Reading them there is nothing barring me from voting providing I either travel home to vote or can somehow get a postal vote 'due to my occupation'.
    There is a section on the actual registration form dealing with this. If you are an EU non-national, your registration data is copied to your home country to prevent you being on two registers.

Reading here: http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/0/588f0ce7a372f8c480256b7c0042de9d/$FILE/register.doc
    4. POSTAL VOTERS LIST
    • persons whose occupations are likely to prevent them from voting at their local polling station on election day, including full-time students registered at home who are living elsewhere while attending an educational institution in the State.
    An elector registered as a postal voter may vote by post only and may not vote at a polling station.
    This seems to indicate that employment away from home entitiles you to a postal vote, whether from the main or supplementary register. I'm not sure if that extends to places outside the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

this may be a bit ott but one thing i love about the voter registration process is how pretty much every house in the state gets a form through the letterbox but if you live in a flat you don't (going by my friends anyway). there can't be any good reason for this. it should be fairly obvious to postmen where people are living as opposed to business premises.

it's counterproductive as probably a very large slice of the younger people who aren't yet registered or foreign nationals who need to register for local/MEP elections are flat dwellers.

never got my iodine tablets either, starting to feel like a bit of a second class citizen :)

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/2071745?view=Eircomnet
    Date set for European and local elections
    Tuesday, 2nd December, 2003

European and local elections will take place on June 11th, the Minister for the Environment and Local Government announced this evening.

Mr Cullen said polling would take place between 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Anybody over the age of 18 is entitled to be register to vote in the local elections and citizenship is not a requirement.

Every Irish and EU citizen living in Ireland aged over 18 and registered in the register of electors is entitled to vote in the European election.

More than three million people are currently registered to vote. A new register of electors will be published on February 1st, 2004.

Voting and counting for all of the elections will be carried out electronically, after the system was successfully piloted in the General Election and referendum last year.

Advertisement