Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Cut from) Eircom's last word moron thread

Options
  • 04-11-2003 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

I believe Dahamsta idea of a rapid reaction force definitely is in need of some serious consideration by Irelamdoffline.

I like dahamsta feel let down by Irelanoffline as of late, while the campaign to get alternative last mile technology in place is admirable, theres no getting past the fact that most of us would still like to get our broadband through regular Telephone lines ETC ETC.

So committee when youve stopped playing politicians for a minute, you might give an official response to the setting up of this RRF, whether you condone or not condone this idea, which in principal and if its done right is a very good way to proceed for the forgotten masses

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by shinzon
    I like dahamsta feel let down by Irelanoffline as of late,
    Shin
    Do you really. Well then either F*ck off and stop whinging or join the committee and do something useful. The committee are volunteers and don't need to hear about your disappointment.
    So committee when youve stopped playing politicians for a minute, you might give an official response to the setting up of this RRF, whether you condone or not condone this idea, which in principal and if its done right is a very good way to proceed for the forgotten masses

Shin

Already Done. In fact there are two, one by BK and one by me.

And if you think you can do better, I'll immediatly resign from the committee and make space for your invaluable contribution. If your as successful at getting broadband for the rest of the country as you were at getting broadband for yourself the we are all F*cked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

De Rebel, shinzon's crusade has often grated on my nerves a little but in this case all he was doing was asking a question, at worst prodding a little bit. Your response was totally over the top. Behaviour unbecoming of an officer I think they call it in the military.

I agree with your post in the other thread by the way. This was exactly what I was advocating to IrelandOffline in my previous posts. Pity IrelandOffline didn't take the time to respond or even acknowledge those posts.

Isn't it time someone called me a bully? Wah wah.

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta

Pity IrelandOffline didn't take the time to respond or even acknowledge those posts.
    adam

If this is a criticism of IrelandOffline, then it is a criticism of yourself and the rest of the membership at large.*

If this is a criticism of IrelandOffline Committee, then it is null and void. BK responded, and so did I. Unlike some people, we take a little time to consider before posting a response, rather than whacking off the first smart arse comment that comes to mind.

*And please spare me some tract about your various resignations and not being a member, if you post here you’re a member (honorary or otherwise) as far as I’m concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Excuse me while I step in and ask bickering parties to PM each other, I'd hate to think there are reps from Eircom et al reading this....

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Do you really. Well then either F*ck off and stop whinging or join the committee and do something useful. The committee are volunteers and don't need to hear about your disappointment.

Already Done. In fact there are two, one by BK and one by me.

And if you think you can do better, I'll immediatly resign from the committee and make space for your invaluable contribution. If your as successful at getting broadband for the rest of the country as you were at getting broadband for yourself the we are all F*cked.

Right DE REBEL, dont go off on one with me, I was asking a question and prodding a bit because quite frankly all Irelandoffline seem to be doing these days is

1) Appearing on talk shows

2) Advocating last mile technologies other than the existing copper.

There has been numerous threads here in the last while with people expressing there desire for irelandoffline to do a lot more in the way of providing a backbone for the ordinary members to get there point across as regarding the poor state of the copper in this country, and the committee stays silent on this while they go off to the oireachteas hearings and play at politicians for a bit.

Quite frankly you are way out of line for spewing that bile out of your mouth, and if a few comments like this gets you this wound up, then maybe you should resign.

Shin

oh and anoher ****ing thing dare you say ive been unsuccessful in getting broadband, at least ive stuck ****ing at it for nigh on 8 months, and i have no intention of giving up now, I will have ****ing broadband if its the last thing i ****ing do

DO YOU ****ING HEAR ME YOU ****ING TOSS POT

I will have broadband

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Yo Shin!

I thought you passed ?

How?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by Muck
    Yo Shin!

I thought you passed ?

How?

M

No i didnt pass MUCK, if you reread my post in the other thread, it was a glitch in there system, my lines still failing, but I contacted the waterford team leader, i think you said you had dealings with him before, hes supposed to ring me back but as yet nothing so im ringing him back tomorrow to see what he says

Now im off to bed before I add to my post above and say something i really regret to him

Shin

De Rebel, my posts were neither acknowledged nor replied to by the IrelandOffline committee, however I don't want to get into an argument about it. I've had my fill of being called a "bully" by recaltricant IrelandOffline committee members for a few weeks thanks.

adam

De Rebel, shinzon's crusade has often grated on my nerves a little but in this case all he was doing was asking a question, at worst prodding a little bit. Your response was totally over the top.

I have no problem with Shinzon’s crusade, its his business, and the best of luck to him.

He didn't ask any questions in that post.

I don't believe that my response was over the top. It was blunt and to the point. It’s known as "Put Up or Shut Up". He criticised and derided the committee. The committee are volunteers, who give of their time freely and willingly. If he is dissatisfied with the committee he should get involved and contribute something other than pointless criticism.

If he feels he can do better, my offer stands. I'll willingly step down and stop wasting my time and money and make way for him.

I'm not responding to Shinzon's more recent post as it doesn't merit a response, in particular the name calling. And to Mike65, I'm sorry if it appears to you as bickering. The committee were criticised. As a member I feel I have the right to respond and defend our efforts. The original criticism was neither well thought out, reasoned or logical, so I didn't see any reason to spend time end effort on a well thought out, reasoned or logical response. Something quick and to the point was called for.

Adam, I responded to your post shortly after you posted it, BK responded a day or two later. Links are dahamsta, original post De Rebel, first response welcoming your suggestion BK's considered response De Rebel's considered response There was also an amount of committee work in the background. Its a committee of volunteers, I'm not sure how much more we would have to do to help you lift that chip.

I have never called you a bully, nor have I endorsed any others calling you one, nor have I heard anybody calling you one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Split from the other thread.

opinion: Inflammatory remarks breed inflammatory replies. Neither really should be made.

Just for the record, the pushing of the last mile alternative was proposed and endorsed pretty much unanimously (may have been totally unanimously, I can't remember) at the IOFFL AGM this year. Nothing's being abandoned as far as I can see but this was voted in as the key aim for the coming twelve months at the AGM to which everyone was invited (and people did manage to make it from remote locations).

Oh and be polite to each other. All of you. There's a lack of copon all the way from the first post split. The right of reply does certainly exist (and should) (See the way I haven't locked this yet even though I probably should) but sometimes the framing of the replies count. You're all at fault really in this thread:) (and yeah, I know the amount of time you've all put into the effort, whether that's for your own benefit or that of others and yourself)

• Advertisement

He didn't ask any questions in that post.

I view his post as an implicit question De Rebel, I got a distinct impression when I read it that he was asking for IrelandOffline to respond by endorsing my suggestion, and I still get that impression now. We can argue till the cows come home whether it was a question or not and there isn't much point, but that's my POV.

I don't believe that my response was over the top.

I honestly think it was and I wouldn't have said so if I didn't. There's a difference between blunt and to the point and telling someone to "f*ck off", particularly when you're a member of the committee. This just isn't on in my view. Like I said, behaviour unbecoming, with power comes responsibility, etc etc, yadda yadda.

If he feels he can do better, my offer stands. I'll willingly step down and stop wasting my time and money and make way for him.

Offers of resignation are just, well, silly. No-one has asked for it, I doubt anybody wants it, so why bother proferring it? At the very least, it's a bad political manoeuvre. Do that in politics and see how long you'll last. ("Mr. Speaker, I accept the Right Honourable Gentleman's resignation." :))

The committee were criticised.

And the committee will continue to be criticised, no matter how good or bad a job the committee does. Such is life in committees. In all honesty, I think it's well deserved at the moment and I've been perfectly plain why, but you'd better believe that if you ever actually get me happy - which admittedly is unlikely - there'll be ten people along behind me who will find fault with the way /I/ like things.

Criticism is par for the course. Some of your fellow committee members have been there for a lot longer than you and still haven't learned this lesson. Get the jump on them, respond to the criticism in a calm and dignified manner and put it to bed.

The criticism was neither well thought out, reasoned or logical

Probably not. I think mine is but I very rarely get back a satisfactory answer. That puts me and shinzon in the same boat.

Adam, I responded to your post shortly after you posted it, BK responded a day or two later.

On this I have to apologise. I genuinely didn't know that you and bk were on the committee -- up until the AGM everyone on the committee was clearly marked as such in their taglines. I'm honestly very embarrassed about this mistake, I hope you'll accept my apology.

I have never called you a bully, nor have I endorsed any others calling you one, nor have I heard anybody calling you one.

Two or three committee members have called me a bully in recent weeks or months, none of them publicly I might add. I have no idea where this came from, the only conclusion I can draw is that they see me as a bully because I won't back down from an argument. I don't see this as bullying and frankly it upsets me just a little to be described a such.

Finally, I concede that I tend to reply to posts very quickly on Boards.ie but I would refute very heavily the implicit suggestion that I don't think about what I post very carefully. There's a difference between kneejerk and quick. I have an awful lot of posts on these boards, but I consider very little of it junk or spam. (And I've got a Boards Award to prove it! :))

Again, my apologies for my earlier mistake.

adam

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

De Rebel, my posts were neither acknowledged nor replied to by the IrelandOffline committee, however I don't want to get into an argument about it.

Adam, just to explain why we don't directly respond to your posts is simply because we don't have the time.

Every member of the committee is a volunteer, we all have day jobs and we have only limited time to work on IOFFL matters each evening.

Because of this we simply do not have the time and resoucres to respond to every members post.

However we do monitor the forums and we do take on good ideas and criticisms. It may take us a few days to get things together and respond and we mightn't directly acknowledge or respond to your post on the matter, but we are taking on board the views and ideas of the members.

A perfect example is the RRF, also expect to see movement in the next few days on remerging the two forum.
    I am happy to say, this is all being done due to feedback from the members.

As I said to De Rebel bk, that was my fault and I apologise for it. On the time issue, I've already discussed this with Dave privately and he has my permission to forward my mails on the subject to you or the committee mailing list if he wishes. I think my comments on keeping the membership informed are particularly important here.

And on that note, I have to commend both you and De Rebel for pushing things forward in the last few days. I was genuinely delighted to see your post about tackling Eircom's bull and the same goes for the remerging of the forums. Do keep at it please.

adam

I hope you'll accept my apology.
    apology hardly necessary, but accepted none the less

Bullying
    Please PM or e-mail me the details. Thats unacceptable, and at the very least I'd like clarification. I certainly don't want to be hand act or part of a that kind of carry on.

Finally, I concede that I tend to reply to posts very quickly on Boards.ie but I would refute very heavily the implicit suggestion that I don't think about what I post very carefully. There's a difference between kneejerk and quick. I have an awful lot of posts on these boards, but I consider very little of it junk or spam.

I wasn't getting at you. I have responded to many of your posts in the past, and while I certainly don't agree with all you say, brief or otherwise, most of what you post is well worth reading. In fact you are one of the posters that I usually pay attention to in a thread. Off the top of my head the only time attacked one of your posts was when you used what I believed to be totally unacceptable phraseology to personally attack on the head of ESAT/BT. Apart from that IMNSHO you certainly are one of the more valuable contributors here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Adam, I responded to your post shortly after you posted it, BK responded a day or two later.

On this I have to apologise. I genuinely didn't know that you and bk were on the committee -- up until the AGM everyone on the committee was clearly marked as such in their taglines. I'm honestly very embarrassed about this mistake, I hope you'll accept my apology.

:) maybe we don't have the committee tags for the same reason officers during WW2 removed their identifying tags, for fear that they would be targetted by snipers :)

Just kidding, the real reason is that we simply forgot about it. Perhaps it is something we should look into changing.

BTW I think many of the rest of your points are covered in my post above (I posted this before seeing your above post.) - Edit: And another post now. I give up, your too fast for me :)

Advertisement