Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dialer going mad!!

Options
  • 06-11-2003 2:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

my internet is dialing by itself all in various times!!

i think some program is doing the call to the dialer to dialup to the isp

how the hell do i find it and stop it??
    ive tried everything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

install and run this

http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/

detects and removes spyware

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

have ad aware for the last 6 months and clean up regularly so its not spy ware (or it is spyware that ad aware can't detect)

i think its a program calling the dialer but cant find it

it dials itself every min and its really annoying cant do anything with my pc until i fix it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

Try Spybot Search & Destroy. You'll find it on www.download.com

That should find it and delete it. Make sure you update the definitions before you run the scan.

Good luck.

Wheeler_1028.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

probably that rasautou deelie, google it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Are you sure its your ISP that its dialling. Because it could be dialling some very very expensive number. Even the news on the Spybot site says that he cant source and find every dialler that is out there, which is why it might'nt be detecting it. Not ringing alarm bells or anything, but my cousin got a very large bill after on of these diallers installed on his system.

• Advertisement

no the number its dialing is my isp

me thinks it the rasautou.exe

i saw it come up in the task manager
    i could delete it but its part of the system right so i need to turn the damm thing off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Short term solution until you get it sorted:

Right click on the IE icon and open properties. Go to the connections tab and select Never dial a connection and click apply and ok. That should stop it dialling - if it doesn't you have some malicious trash running in the background. You can turn this off manually when you do want a connection - pain in the asre but stops the problem til you have it sorted.

You didn't happen to install an EA game lately? I remember a couple of them forcing dialling when there was no multi-player component a while back. Though I doubt they still do - caused no end of complaints.

What OS are you running?

Hijack this is fairly good at picking up what stuff is loading without your knowledge.

Otherwise, check what is running in startup. Go to Start, Run. Type msconfig click ok. Check the startup tab and look for stuff you don't recognise. Take out everything except systray and reboot. If it's still happening try the other tabs - sorry don't have a windows box in front of me at the moment or I could be more specific.

Also check the Run key in the registry - should be under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Check Runas and Runonce too, should be in the same place.

I recall there being a half-decent article on the MS Knowledge base on this at some stage but can't remember where and searching there is a pain but if you put some effort in you should be able to find it.

running xp my brother installed kazza lately with some peer points managewr thing

uninstalled the lot but it kept happening
    ill try out that stuff

cheers let ye know how i get on
    :cool: :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by henbane
    You can turn this off manually when you do want a connection - pain in the asre but stops the problem til you have it sorted.
    After that, you can always drag a shortcut from Network and Dialup Connections to the desktop as well. That way it's only one more mouse click, you can keep the above solution with less inconvenience and you've got a bit more control

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

just google 'rasautou' - that's your problem, well documented, so why are you trying all this other stuff ? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Originally posted by parasite
    just google 'rasautou' - that's your problem, well documented, so why are you trying all this other stuff ? :confused:

I would tend to agree. Sorry about my advice being a little late - was typing when you posted that it was rasautou.

Advertisement