Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skin problems on my back...

• 06-11-2003 7:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

Well,last time I spoke here about my skin, I was talking about how I had small dry patches on my forehead (and they're clearing up nicely now,found out it was my shampoo,of all things, that was causing the upset)... but a longer-lasting problem is my back. I have really dry patches all over the upper part of my back, and it isnt a very pretty sight. So once again,I must ask for advice on skincare. Does anybody know any sort of cream that can quickly clear this up? In under a month if possible...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

What I woul suggest is that you drink more water each day. Aim for between 1.5 - 2 litres.

I had dry skin and after about three days on the water it was a thing of the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

I had that for a couple of years, never bothered me much. Mainly like blotches, which only very rarely got itchy.

What cured it? the sun in spain.
    I've heard that the sunbed can clear up a lot of skin problems.
    Give it a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Mercury

Are they roughly circular??? Sounds to me like a fungal infection of the skin - took me ages to go see a doctor about it.

Turns out that you can get rid of most fungal infections with Nizorol shampoo - the anti-dandruff stuff that you can pick up in Boots for about €15. Just use it as a shower gel - you'll notice the difference within a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

YEh, drink lots more water and get into the habit of doing so everyday. Also, wear a t-shirt to bed and then throw it in the wash every morning. Repeat all that and it'll be gone in a week.

Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Are they itchy, scaly by any change??

I have Pityriasis rosea at the moment. It's untreatable but will go away after a couple of weeks according to stuff I've read and the nurses that I've gone to see about it. It started with me on the top of my back similar to what your talking about. It has no known cause and isn't contagious so I get to suffer without making anyone else suffer (damn my luck anyways :-) It isn't always itchy too which is why I'm suggesting it.

If it's just dry skin then any kind of detergents (shampos, shower gel etc) will only aggrevate your problem. Try to cut them out for a while and get back to basics. Get some aqueous cream (tis pretty cheap and is available in most if not all pharmacies) and start using that instead. Put it on the area before you shower as in will help to trap moisture into the area.

Just my two cense,
    A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Emulave moisturiser is damn good stuff. I have been getting dry itchy patches at the tops of my arms for the last couple of months and using the emulave has pretty much got rid of it.

Theres a shower gel too which doesnt contain any skin irritants. You might try that and see how you get on.

K-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by patch
    I had that for a couple of years, never bothered me much. Mainly like blotches, which only very rarely got itchy.

What cured it? the sun in spain.
    I've heard that the sunbed can clear up a lot of skin problems.
    Give it a shot.

DO NOT USE A SUNBED ON DAMAGED/IRRITATED SKIN!

I can't believe someone would advise that.
    It may 'clear it up' but it's not worth risking skin cancer for.
    Sunbeds simply focus intensified radiation on your skin. They can do serious and lasting damage (a 'nice' tan means you've REALLY done damage!) and in this day and age you need to be very careful in the sun, never mind those bloody things.
    They are 'ok' in small doses if you REALLY want a tan, but certainly not to treat dry skin conditions.
    Many people believe that it's only when you get burnt red that you are doing damage, not so.

1.) Drink plenty of water; 8-10 glasses per day, or more if you can put up with running to the toilet every half hour.
    2.) try using some camomile lotion for a week or two and see if there is any improvement.
    3.) If it does not improve, go to a dermatologist (or your GP if you prefer although a dermatologist would be better as skin conditions are notoriously difficult to diagnose/treat)

Originally posted by Kananga
    DO NOT USE A SUNBED ON DAMAGED/IRRITATED SKIN!

I can't believe someone would advise that.

Believe it. I'm just offering up what worked for me and people i know.
    There's no obligation to try. ;) Best get a small ladder for getting down off that horse.

Originally posted by patch
    Believe it. I'm just offering up what worked for me and people i know.
    There's no obligation to try. ;) Best get a small ladder for getting down off that horse.

Saying that "using a sunbed on damaged skin is dangerous' means I'm on my high horse?
    Ah you're dead right probably; if you have dry skin, best lie under something that dries out your skin. good 'un.

LoL.... you're funny. Well, you make me laugh at least. :rolleyes:
    Carry on about your business. There's prolly a cat in a tree you could save or some such.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭technobob

try going swimming in salt water
    (yes i know its freezing!)
    when i had exzema i found that salt water cleared it up the best

Try going to the doctor and finding out what it is first. €20, but at least you have a qualified answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭JessieG

Hey Tellox....

I know your pain my friend...but be grateful its just dry skin and not actual acne. Anyway if its just dry patchs then try some E45 twice a day.....also it could be the soap you use...A lot of the time ppls skin can be too senesitive for soap. Try dove or johnsons baby soap and if not then just stick to shower gels.
    Emulave moisturiser is great too.

Swimming in salt water is fanatastic for your skin especially if it starts to break out. If it is starting then anything with teatree in it.

Anyway tellox ive met ya in cyber mart cant remember which one ya are :) but anythign else and just send me an IM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by Kell
    Emulave moisturiser is damn good stuff
    Originally posted by JessieG
    Emulave moisturiser is great too

Have to agree there wholeheartedly!! I used to have Eczema, still do actually!! But when ever it flares up I just use Emulave body lotion on the effected area for a day or two and it clears it up for ages!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

And with with regards to using a sunbed. I've known doctors that have recommended their use in the treatment of certain skin conditions. In fact, there used to be a kid that lived on my road who suffered from severe eczema, poor kid!, but there was a documentary on RTE a few years back about his problem and they showed that part of his treatment was in fact UV exposure i.e. Sunbeds!!

I do remember a few years ago having a bad flair up of Eczema and during it I went on holidays and within a few days into the holiday it healed up quite rapidly due to the exposure to the sun. And before you start, when I say exposure, I don't mean sitting in the sun for eight hours a day sun-worshipping. I just mean general light exposure ussing an appropriate suncream.

B.

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    And with with regards to using a sunbed. I've known doctors that have recommended their use in the treatment of certain skin conditions. In fact, there used to be a kid that lived on my road who suffered from severe eczema, poor kid!, but there was a documentary on RTE a few years back about his problem and they showed that part of his treatment was in fact UV exposure i.e. Sunbeds!!B.

Yes, UV light is sometimes used to treat skin conditions; it's called "Phototherapy".
    It can be used for specific skin-problems (like dermatitis and bacterial infections), in a hospital, under controlled conditions and under the supervision of a doctor.

That is what your friend had, not a "Stand & Tan"
    Also, after these people have been treated, they are usually screened at least TWICE a year due to the increased risk of skin cancer.

Doctors do not (and certainly should not) recommend you go down to the local tanning salon and jump under a sunbed when you notice you have a rash.
    Hospitals use U.V. for medically prescribed purposes, and only on severe cases (due to the increased cancer risk) but they don't use tanning salons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Been using that nizoral now as shower gel for 4 days now,and the difference is already noticable, cheers merc :D

Originally posted by Tellox
    Been using that nizoral now as shower gel for 4 days now,and the difference is already noticable, cheers merc :D

Sweet!!! Glad it worked for you :D

Advertisement