Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Jedi Council ???

Options
  • 06-11-2003 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

To the owners/operators of boards.ie

Could you please explain (I realise you don't *have* to explain anything) why you've opened up an "Irish Jedi Council" board ?

I've asked twice on the board but "Vadar" has banned me from it so I can't even see if he's had the decency to reply, so much power in one so young... I also tried to inform him that him stating about the UK accepting Jedism as a religion was incorrect but I don't think he liked that so much...

This seems like such a bizarre idea, that's likely to bring ridicule on boards as a whole.

The concept behind the Jedi (as I wrote in an earlier post that's since been deleted) is fictional, it strikes me that the only people who'd want to play out this "fantasy" are young boys/teenagers.

I love the whole concept of the star wars films & can fondly remember queueing with my father & younger brother outside the ambassador to watch the original films way back in the summer of 1977 (yes I'm that old).

To allow a board devoted to an "Irish Jedi Council" is pure folly that will only serve to make boards.ie into a laughing stock. It's one thing to be a fan of something, but to be this "obsessive" about it is something else... something that should be activly discouraged... it's not like there's a shortage of star wars related websites out there...

There's so many other more worth causes that deserve a forum of their own, (you could even have a dedicated "Star Wars" forum), but "Irish Jedi Council" ??? Please...

If someone could get back to me, I'd really appreciate it, thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

this thread really doesn’t deserve a response. Cause ThreadKiller is a troll and is now crying cause he was banned. but I have some time to kill. And im afraid this muppet will gain support
    I've asked twice on the board but "Vader" has banned me from it so I can't even see if he's had the decency to reply
    Mods usually don’t reply to trolls
    This seems like such a bizarre idea, that's likely to bring ridicule on boards as a whole.
    This is a PUBLIC community, it will get no more ridicule than a board for "debating" or "battlefield 1942" . Don’t you understand that boards is just providing a place for this PUBLIC community to discuss things ?

The concept behind the Jedi (as I wrote in an earlier post that's since been deleted) is fictional, it strikes me that the only people who'd want to play out this "fantasy" are young boys/teenagers.

Thread Killer are you male or female ?
    the following things on boards are also fictional
    Humour (more often than not)
    COMICS
    ALL THE SCI-FI Fantasy FOURM including the amazingly popular star trek, star wars and Disc world
    ALL of the Games in the games forum..( I would like to point out that boards was originally a gaming forum)
    Pro Wrestling...Its not really fiction as these mean and women are real athletes but its still a fictional show.

Now People, have a Huge interest in all of these and some have such an interest that they form sub groups and communities ..Hence the Jedi council in the COMMUNITY forum

I love the whole concept of the star wars films & can fondly remember queueing with my father & younger brother outside the ambassador to watch the original films way back in the summer of 1977 (yes I'm that old).

it seems you have lost your imagination and love of the Jedi( which we all had)
    To allow a board devoted to an "Irish Jedi Council" is pure folly that will only serve to make boards.ie into a laughing stock. It's one thing to be a fan of something, but to be this "obsessive" about it is something else... something that should be actively discouraged... it's not like there's a shortage of star wars related websites out there...

Rubbish, we all find something we are so interested in we become a little obsessed. for some its GAA others its politics and others its SCI-FI. And if they are lucky they will find others with the same interest to discuss things with them and if there are really lucky there will be a place where they can have an online community.

Sein wars and LNA are such forums
    There's so many other more worth causes that deserve a forum of their own, (you could even have a dedicated "Star Wars" forum), but "Irish Jedi Council" ??? Please...

ITS A PUBLIC COMMUNITY.. people who want to be part of it will go there...people that don’t SHOULDNT
    Who are you to judge peoples interests and communities.

there is a starwars fourm.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

In reply:

I'm far from being a troll...

I'm male

I'm 34 years of age

I have a complete collection of "Original" ( by original I mean first released) star wars toys, I have the original theatrical posters (thanks to a friend of my dad who owns a cinema), framed & on my wall at home. I have every release of the films on VHS (& have them on DVDSilver too). I have not lost my "love of the Jedi"

Nor have I lost my sense of humour...

I freely admit I don't frequent here that often, but I think it'll be less often now...

There's people looking for Punk & Cycling forums, & something as blatently stupid as the "Irish Jedi Council" gets one ?

I really do hate to be pedantic but I did address the original post to "the owners/operators of boards.ie" so I'm not going to discuss it with anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Community boards are exactly that, boards requested for members for their own use (i.e. they have a certain amount of autonomy, especially for private forums). However, I don't like the sound of bannings just for the sake of it. Perhaps Vader can let us know why he banned you, and let us know why he should remain as moderator of IJC.

The IJC forum received a lot more support for its creation than Punk or Cycling, but they may yet receive it.

what part of community dont you understand

some people request fourms ..fine

others like vader request boards to provide them with a place to host their community and choose to make it eithe public or private. its just a community

Thanks cloud, I'd appreciate that, You can take a look at the board & see if I deserved it (if the post is still there).

• Advertisement

Vader posted his reasons for bannign him in the Mod fourm cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I read threadkillers post. I don't see what the issue with it was? He was pointing out a mistake. You guys are seriously going to need to grow some skin everytime someone questions you.

Incidently, you would be more a cult. They tend to try to silence any questions as they are unable to defend thier beliefs by rational conversation.

Btw...
    This Forum is for 3 types of ppl:

* People who want to take the Jedi religion seriously
    * People who like our political agenda
    * People who just wanna have a laugh

Just 2 rules
    Dont come in here just to annoy or insult the people in this forum(remember I can edit your posts)
    Try you should, to speak the way of the Jedi

I think Vader doesn't understand the "edit the posts" option. It is not there to changes people conversation when you feel like it. Also it appears more like a private community then public.

Lastly to ThreadKiller, I really wouldn't get worked up over it.

Not worked up at all hobbes, just pointing out a possible abuse of power to the ops

I really wouldn't want to be part of any organisation that would want me as a member anyway...

Originally posted by ThreadKiller
    Not worked up at all hobbes, just pointing out a possible abuse of power to the ops

really?, then why did you spend the whole thime complaining about the existance of the community in the first palce. make up your mind, is your problem with Vader or the community ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Can I have a "Lemonade" forum?
    I love it and believe strongly that it has powers beyond our comprehension.
    Or is that just stupid? (Wait, The Force........Lemonade.....I THINK I'VE CRACKED IT!)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Alany
    really?, then why did you spend the whole thime complaining about the existance of the community in the first palce. make up your mind, is your problem with Vader or the community ?

Look, I've gathered that you & "Vader" are all loved up as you keep rushing to his defence, but I really wish you'd give him the chance to speak for himself...

The comment I made that you're responding to is a quote by Groucho Marx (not verbatim), it was meant as humour not a stance on how I feel.

My problem is with the community.

Here's another quote especially for Alany & Vader, this time by the Irrepressible Kevin smith...
    TEEN 1

Yo--how was the service?

ALANY

What service?

TEEN 2

The one at the Unitarian church where you two got married to each other last week.

ALANY

What the hell are you talking about?

TEEN 1

Jay said you had a Star-Wars--themed wedding and you guys tied the knot dressed like storm troopers.

TEEN 2

Yeah. And he said you're the bitch and you're the butch. Oh, sorry-- the Leia and the Luke.

VADAR

I'm the bitch?!

ALANY

Well if we were gay, that's how I'd see it.

VADAR

Would you shut up?!

TEEN 1

(to TEEN 2)

Holy ****, dude. The honeymoon's over.

VADAR

We're not married to each other.

TEEN 1

Well, sure. Not in the eyes of the state or any real church, Skywalker.

ALANY

(heading for the phone)

That does it. I'm gonna do something about those two. I shoulda done a long time ago

TEEN 2

In a galaxy far, far away!

TEEN 1

(exiting)

May the Foreskin be with you. Hand Jabba the Hutt.

Who does this guy remind you of!!!!!!!

Damn you Kananga !!!

Someone wanna remind me how to get coffee out of a keyboard ?

I find a straw to be indispensible for such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Alany

Unless Vader went crazy and deleted all his posts I don't see a problem with what he had written. Nothing about wiping out the jedi, 'every last one of them'.

Clearly there is nothing to see here, move along.

indeed...

I love that starwars kid video ...did you know her became so famous he even go to meet george lucas ? or something like that.

threadkiller the little comedy sketch you did was wonderful. but I dont even know vader. so we are not married or loved up or anything ( vader call me sometime ;) )

the only reason I got involved is because you annoyed me so much i felt I had to. and i was bored.

anywho TK have you finished your little sulk. ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

I deleted Threadkillers post from the charter thread because it had no place there.

I was going to send a pm but he created a new thread first so I replied to it. I posted a link showing your point about the UK to be a bit inacurrate.

I didnt ban you for your first post, which is obvious because you created a thread asking why the first was deleted.

Your post was a bit insulting and the only serious thing in the charter is dont come to the forum if you think its stupid and dont insulte its members.Judging from your name thats what you do.

You were banned because you posted an insulting post twice and for not waiting for a pm from me or sending me a pm to discuss the problem. I did not want to degenerate into a public arguement.

You can come back if you send me a pm asking to come back. But judging from your posts you have no interest in the forum.
    Liking Sci-Fi is not a crime nor is having a laugh. You will find few serious things in the IJC.

Ps if you wanted to see if I made a reply, you could have logged out and then visited the forum, read the reply, seen the link.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by ThreadKiller
    My problem is with the community.

So, just stay away and leave them alone. They're not harming anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

I admit I acted a bit rash and maybe over the top.

Threadkiller made a reply in the charter thread saying I was a bull****ter and immature child. This had no place in the charter
    but I should have locked it earlier, my mistake.

The only serious thing on the hole forum is that nobody should be insulting to others. His post was inaccurate and insulting as well as being in an inappropriate thread. It should have been deleted.I did not ban him for it.

When he made a new thread he was banned. This was rash and a mistake, but I did explain myself for all to see.

This is the second time Threadkiller has asked for an explanation which leads me to believe that he is only interested in attention and giving the IJC bad publicity.
    He never sent me a pm when his thread was deleted
    He never sent me a pm when he was banned
    He never sent me a pm to tell me to come here and explain myself.
    I have no business here and so rarly come here. koneko had to tell me.

I do however still believe that Threadkiller has no interest and thus no place in the IJC. This has been made this clear with his little skit above.

Perhaps Vader can let us know why he banned you, and let us know why he should remain as moderator of IJC
    I am still learning. I admit I was over the top. I wont be making anymore bans if I am allowed to keep my forum.
    I do have many enjoyable ideas to bring to the forum. Please give me another chance.

Well all-mighty Vader, I'm afraid I don't posess "jedi powers" & thus am unable to read your mind about your reasons for deleting my post, I'd literally only posted it when you deleted it, hence my second post which you then banned me from so I can't even read any replies...

You seriously need to either develop a thick skin or take your little cult underground, because believe me, I'm one of the "nice" guys...

My handle BTW has been in place for a long time on other BBs & came about when I changed my original handle as I seemed to have developed a knack of killing off threads...

OK I've just logged in from another system & read it... You believe the register ???

Come on man (or boy), they've got their tongue firmly lodged in their cheek with it, it's designed to appeal to nerdy types who obsess about this type of thing...

Did you read the end of it ?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/18448.html

An official from the National Statistics office had called us up to complain about the story. Apparently they've been getting a load of phone calls asking if Jedi Knight is officially a religion.

This is the official line: the Census does not provide recognition to any religion in the official statistics nor does it attempt to define religion. The list that you can see by checking out the pdf file above is merely a list of possible answers that people have been known to put in the box marked religion.

As such, Jedi Knight is not officially recognised as a religion.

However, looking at it another way, neither is any other religion. We imagine there are a few followers of Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism but the National Statistics office will not provide recognition of them officially. It's job is simply to identify the number of people in the UK that have given a particular answer to a particular question.

The spokeswoman that clarified the situation for us was one Ms Knight (no relation but some irony).

To put it into perspective, remember the "US Irish in St Patrick's Day Iraqi banner outrage" story about the monaghan flag being mistaken for an Iraqi one ?

Well I was part of the group (there's quite a few of us) that spread that story, one of the register journos is among us, as are quite a few print journos, we spread mis-information for fun.

As a direct consequence of that I stand by my comments you are a bull****ter & an immature child.

They're my final words on it, now... This meeting of Nerds Anonymous will come to order!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by Vader
    I wont be making anymore bans if I am allowed to keep my forum.
    Deffo not mod material
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by Gordon
    Deffo not mod material
    :p
    Yea. Bang on Gordon. Talk about opening the flame gates!!

I wont be making anymore bans if I am allowed to keep my forum.

To Err is human, to ban that person is fun.
    As a Mod its your duty to Ban..people that dererve it ...like thread killer and gordon

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Alany banned from PI for inciting terrorism.

Advertisement