Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stab City

Options
  • 06-11-2003 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Well as you can see from my thread Im soooo p***** off with slagging from everyone I meet cos iM FROM THE DREADED STAB CITY. Jesus I get a lot of stick from my mates (not from the area) people Ive just met or even my college lecturers. Well Ive had enough now from Everyone!!!!

Give a girl a break so what Im from Limerick Do people think Ive never heard it b4 like 'not to mess with me or else Ill get u later with a knife ' whooopsie

People are so stuck up with their attitudes Ive hardly ever met any1 in Dublin who has even been to Limerick So what is their prob. Fair enough the media has nothing else better to talk about. But still I have it up to the teeth. Most of the country is full of knackers but our knackers seem to get more attention then any where else Why is that?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

She seems angry, quick hide the knives.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

For many reasons, maybe this would be better in the Midwest forum...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm afraid you're gonna have to live with it

I live in Dublin, I get slagged for being a culchie all the time
    go with the joke
    yup I'm a culchie, that makes me infinitely superior to the rest of you jackeens
    Or
    Yup I’m from Limerick and you say one more thing about my beautiful city
    I’ll feckin stab ya to death
    also
    you could say

wow funny joke
    never heard that one before
    you should be on stage :D

Humour is always the best way to go in these situations and shows you don’t give a crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 limerickbabe

its gettin on my nerves though

Funny enough some people from dub that are from what could be tagged as bad areas are quite sensitive if people say its a dive like blanch or tallaght

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Gordon
    For many reasons, maybe this would be better in the Midwest forum...

do what you feel is best Gordie
    my heads elsewhere today ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭robo

Hi limerickbabe, I am going to stick up for you. I spent a weekend in Limerick a few months ago, and I enjoyed it. The pubs were fine, the people were friendly...I had no complaints about the city. But yes I did get comments from my friends about my choice of location...so when I came back I did inform them that I felt safe, the city is fine!
    It is just narrow-mindedness!! And it will always be there! No way of getting rid of it unfortunately and the bad press coverage doesn't help! There are bad areas, estates in every city, town and village. Whether it be only 1 person or a gang that give the area a bad name...it doesn't matter, unfortunately in Ireland, mud sticks!

So I just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed my weekend away in Limerick!

jaysus ive got some dodgy pm messgaes telling me to stop ranting about limk!!

Im scared now :(

Originally posted by limerickbabe
    jaysus ive got some dodgy pm messgaes telling me to stop ranting about limk!!

Im scared now :(

Hey Mods, can she name and shame these users???

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

limerick feckin rules. ive lived here for 5 years, and never been in trouble. Seen some, caused some, but never been 'in' any.

recently with the new club, Trinity Rooms, opening (i know it was just Docs done up) all the clubs have had to do themselves up and let in people. No more, "Sorry, not tonight". tis great. plus if your a student, you get to experience "The Slodge" :)

ok, i agree that some people here are a bit dodgy (read: feckin deadly) but hey, thats every city in the world. there just a bit prouder about it in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Drazhar
    limerick feckin rules.
    Indeed - the only place where I have seen two french girls use the guys showers......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Indeed - the only place where I have seen two french girls use the guys showers......

care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by passive
    care to elaborate?
    Youth Hostel, Percy Place (?) c. 1997. Damned opaque plastic shower screen in the way though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

limerickbabe you should just laugh it off. It's just harmless fun. Or take the pi$s out of where they're from. That'll shut them up :D

I know people from the north and I start talking about bombs, etc. to annoy them when they start making jokes. Or start taking off the Dublin accent when you're talking to someone from Dublin.

And I must add that after they visit Limerick for a night out they all admit that it's not so bad and they like the crowd in the pubs, night clubs, etc., not what they expected at all!! Like anywhere else, it's only a minority of trouble makers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Victor
    Youth Hostel, Percy Place (?) c. 1997. Damned opaque plastic shower screen in the way though ;)

The life of a pervert must be so tough.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Meh, I'm from limerick, its got a bad rep (somewhat deservedly) but dermot morgan has a lot to answer for, scrap saturday started the ball rolling on the whole stab city malarkey, If he was alive today i'd give him such a stabbing....

I feel more threatened walking around here in ennis tbh, these country boys are unpredictable after a few beers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Limerick is only rough cos the media make it rough. Limerickbabe, just laugh off the slaggings.

I work in Dell (I'm a Tipperary man) and the slagging I get is unreal. I just slag back. Its in our Irish nature to slag each other.

Its all good clean fun, just slag back.

If you show that the slagging is irriatating you people will target you even more..... is kinda like a verbal form of bullying, fight back girl... you'll survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

If he was alive today i'd give him such a stabbing....
    - hehehehehe :cool:

Honestly, Dublin, I mean, really...why would you even care?

I remember these Dubs used to say, "I wuz in Limerick, it's a sh1thole."
    "yes", I would reply, "but it's my****hole.
    Memphis is right, just slag them back- I mean there's a lot about Dublin you can slag them about.

I remember when I was in Dublin, and yeah, Dubs seem to think their's is the nicest town in the whole wide world.
    Aw yes, and I can see why, the hanging highrise gardens of Killbarrack and affordable taverns, the colourful characters you meet coming back on the Dart after dark, "S'good stuff yeeh? Cookid up kwik will ye? Whadda youze loohkin' at?."
    Ah yes, mostly I remember the friendly non-judgemental and, most of all welcoming people, "excuse me, I need to get to a hospital..." "Ahh yeeh? Up frum d'****ry ahr ye?"

Fair enough- Limerick's really tough in places, but I feel a thousand times safer there than I ever did in Dublin and a lot more welcome too. That might sound strange to some people (Limerick-bashers) but it's true.
    Having said that, I don't think I could ever move back there. It's being developed a lot these days and I hardly recognise the place no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Limerick is basically a Decent place, only one estate that has all the real trouble (around keeper hill) and only two families causing it, apart from that limerick is fine. Dublin on the other hand is a different story altogether and would be allot better if it could say the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

only one estate that has all the real trouble (around keeper hill)

There's more than one, "deprived area" (as RTE likes to call them) in Limerick.
    and only two families causing it

Well there's more than 2 families too for that matter, actually there's a lot of hardcases, headcases and scumbags in Limerick- and and a lot of drugs, guns violence, and yes, stabbings.
    But the media doesn't talk about any incidents that don't take place within the city itself. And there's a bias, if a kid from UL gets the crap kicked out of him in the city centre then you can be damn sure it''ll make headlines in the local papers. If a kid of the same age from Moyross, Southill or Weston gets a similar beating in their own area the only way you'll hear about it is if someone tells you. The violence in Limerick is there- I'm not gonna say it's not, if you think it isn't you're not really living there.

Still, it's not of a scale that one would find in Dublin.
    You can get on a bus in Limerick and there won't be guys at the back with a biro, a lighter, some tinfoil and a block of skag. Closest you'll get's a coupla winos hanging out near the bus station. Dublin has a HUGE drug problem- HUGE. I suppose because it's a capital city and that's what happens.

Basically, to say Limerick doesn't have a serious crime problem is a little silly. But for it to be demonised as the ruffest town in Ireland is wrong, really wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

I've lived in Limerick for the bulk of my life and to be honest I've never had any major hassles here. I lived in Dublin also and I feel much safer in Limerick than up there.

Limerickbabe, I guess you'll just have to grin and bear the slags from the ignorant people. They just don't know any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Having never been to Limerick I can categorically say it deserves it's reputation.

Originally posted by IgnatiusJRiley
    Having never been to Limerick I can categorically say it deserves it's reputation.

How or what gives you the right to say that about anywhere that you have never been to?

Btw, I am not from Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Originally posted by The Beer Baron
    There's more than one, "deprived area" (as RTE likes to call them) in Limerick.

Well there's more than 2 families too for that matter, actually there's a lot of hardcases, headcases and scumbags in Limerick- and and a lot of drugs, guns violence, and yes, stabbings.
    But the media doesn't talk about any incidents that don't take place within the city itself. And there's a bias, if a kid from UL gets the crap kicked out of him in the city centre then you can be damn sure it''ll make headlines in the local papers. If a kid of the same age from Moyross, Southill or Weston gets a similar beating in their own area the only way you'll hear about it is if someone tells you. The violence in Limerick is there- I'm not gonna say it's not, if you think it isn't you're not really living there.

Still, it's not of a scale that one would find in Dublin.
    You can get on a bus in Limerick and there won't be guys at the back with a biro, a lighter, some tinfoil and a block of skag. Closest you'll get's a coupla winos hanging out near the bus station. Dublin has a HUGE drug problem- HUGE. I suppose because it's a capital city and that's what happens.

Basically, to say Limerick doesn't have a serious crime problem is a little silly. But for it to be demonised as the ruffest town in Ireland is wrong, really wrong.

Mainly two families killing each other, mainly from one area. No body claimed limerick didn't have problems. I never said i lived there, I live in dublin, and yes there is a huge drug problem, most of it seems to centre around cocaine.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by robo
    How or what gives you the right to say that about anywhere that you have never been to?

I somehow imagine it was an attempt at humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I am from Limerick also and have been going out in the city centre at weekends for the last 13-14 years and have only ever had hassle once.

I love Limerick and wouldnt live anywhere else in this country. Sure it has its fair share of scumbags but which city doesnt. If you stick to where you know at night you will be grand.

As for the idiots sending you the PMs, best thing is to ignore them. By responding to them you are acknowledging them which they do not deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

passed through limerick for the first time in my life a while ago and i have to say that the city centre looks fantasic with all the new development, limerick probably gets its rep because its crime rate for a place its size. evey place in ireland has trouble wiht bad people. There are also gangs in evry major city in ireland. they mightent get any press but they are there trust me. Its just because the keanes and the ryans have decided to destroy each other, with limericks already established rep that causes all the attention.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone listening to the media would never think Limerick is the third biggest city in the country (fifth biggest on the Island ?) judging by the number of times it appears on the news / current affairs / other programs in contexts other than crimes and other bad news.

You need to get the media involved.

Now decentralistaion of Goverment depts - this is a pet hate of mine. Apart from one estate in Limerick all the areas with over 90% unemployment are in Dublin - still no sign of ANY Govt depts being decentralised to these areas..

(BTW: last time I was in Limerick overnight, my mates car radio was stolen :( )
    And a I've met a lot of people who left limerick in the 1980's and had no intention of returning.

But it used to have cheap houses - is this still true ?

Dublin is getting worse - lots of scumbags getting the Dart to Blackrock / Dun Laoghaire - bit a burglerary and back on the Dart again - those who live near the Luas might need to be aware :(

Let's not mention the pogroms back in the 20's

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oops that reads a little harsh..
    But if there was more good news coming out of the City or maybe get a soap or series based there.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

you have a better chance of getting beat up in ennis than you are in limerick i. there are only one or two places in limerick i would class as no go areas those being o malley park and garryglass.

People elsewhere wont bother you unless you bother them. you will find drunken fights and people who will rob the eye out of your head but you get that in every town and city in the world.

criminal gangs here tend to all be related to one another. I dont know if it is the same in the likes of dublin but that is the way it is here and where I grew up you would know which areas these families would live and anyone with any sense would not get mixed up with them.

Advertisement