Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stab City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭smiling_time

i live in limerick and i dont think its bad at all.in fact more bad things have happened to me in nenagh when i was living there.it just seems that what happens in limerick gets a lot more attention that what happens in other parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Limey

Well, I'm from O'Malley Park & the biggest problem that has plagued the place is joyriding & a local travelling family, [for want of a better word] the Casey's, that is the nearest Southill gets to having a gang. Local government really messed this section of Southill up when they offered people who could afford it a way out of OMP, what effectively happened was, all the professional people took the opportunity to get bigger houses, and the corporation let anyone at all move into the houses, without involving the local community. To be honest, I'm glad I live in O'Malley Park in a real community then in a more fanciable area where people are so quick to judge.

The thing that made the feud so serious is that the two biggest drug gangs in the city have crossed each other, and they have taken it to another level, much to the disgust of everyone living here. What people must realise is that the same people have been bringing us down for the past 20 years [just watch the same family names popping up, time & time again, for the past 20 years] Limerick's problems are bacically the Ryan's[and their croonies] & the Keane/Collopy's, 2 of the main players are settled traveller families who have no brains at all, there is already a good few of them in jail, let them rot.

It makes me laugh when people mention "No go areas", there is no such thing believe me, the families that are at war with each other are located in a small corner of the city, dotted around on both sides of the Shannon, and as bad as they are, they keep it between them, the local community have no problems with them, if you discound the shame they bring on us, that is.

Let's face it, Limerick wasn't the prettiest place in the world in the 80's, or early 90's for that matter, but, for the last 5 years, or even moreso in the last 2, it has really undertaken big changes, and there is huge work coming in the next 5 years so it's going to be even better. People have visited Limerick and been really surprised at what they found, we have huge sports following, pubs/restaurent/shops that are forever winning awards, and the best looking women in Ireland, by not taking that chance on Limerick, people are missing out.

It's just a pity that we are painted with such a serious picture, especially with the charactors we have, the craic in the pubs is great, especially if you avoid the more "trendy" places, just take a chance some weekend, you just might enjoy it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by Skanger
    Limerick is basically a Decent place, only one estate that has all the real trouble (around keeper hill)....

Keeper Hill???? Last time I checked, Keeper Hill was about 20 miles from Limerick on the Limerick side of Nenagh...:D

Anyway, geographical inaccuracies aside, there's nothing that Limerick has that isn't to be found in any other city in this country.

Ok, the media DO have a hell of a lot to answer for, especially "Scrap Saturday". It was Dermot Morgan or "Scrap Saturday" that coined the phrase "stab city" back in the late 80's and unfortunately it has stuck since. And given the number of knife-related attacks that were in the city at the time, it may have been justified. But even up to a few years ago, the image of Limerick as a tough city was still being portrayed in the media. Anyone remember a quiz one morning on 2FM when Gareth O'Callaghan did the breakfast show? The question was something along the lines of "Robo Cop was a robot invented to stop crime in what city?.....New York....Chicago...or Limerick" He had to apologise at the end of the show for it - he seems to have gotten serious flak

Its time that the media saw the other side of Limerick.

Mike

I agree, the thing is the media were making it sound that Limerick was covered in roadblocks and that it was torn apart by the fued, what rubbish, nobody gives a crap about those 2 pack of scumbags, another thing being they would never be in the city, first of all, they'd never get into any pubs/club.

The bad thing at the moment is since this thing started [and is still far from being over] the media has sent people down to cover it [and the slightest thing that will sell as news]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Just taught I would add my 2cents.
    I am from limerick born and raised, lived here for over 20 years. Yes it is a rough city with loads of scumbags and knackers, if you can’t see that then you must be blind or stupid.
    But I know people who are from the worst estates in the city and people who there close family are supposedly involved in a lot of things happening in the city and they are the some nicest and most honest people you could meet.
    I have worked in a pub and have been out to all the pubs/clubs in the city both drunk/very drunk and sober, so I have been around the city at all hours and I have seen loads of things happen. From full scale rights outside a popular nightclub [with about 20-25 people involved, some wielding bats and metal bars], which wasnt in the paper.
    To people getting attacked on the main shopping street at 2pm on a busy Saturday afternoon, by 6 people ranging in age from about 10 to 25, one welding a knife.

People say that limerick is the same as any other city but what other city in Ireland had guards armed with automatic weapons patrolling the city? [Maybe there is I don’t know]

In what would be classed as my local I heard of a guy who got refused entry to the premises by a doorman, he came back later threading that doorman with a gun. And this isn’t in a bad area of town. I have seen kids no older than 12 breaking into a car at 7 o clock in the evening.
    And just last week there were 3 bombs in limerick, a drive by shooting at McDonald’s and a guy who got killed by his friend because he wouldn’t go to the chipper.
    Also if you have a read of Family Feud by Anthony Galvin, it would really open your eyes according to this in 2001 there were on average 2 knife related admittances to Limerick regional hospital [a total of 102 incidences ], they compared this to Cardiff in Wales [there were no Irish figures at the time] which has a population of c.300,000 and there was I think about half the amount of admittances [don’t have the book with me to quote].
    Now this makes Limerick look very bad, but there is also good points about limerick, there are great honest, descent people who love to have the laugh and the crack. With great nightlife and one of the most renowned nightclubs on the Island.
    Some of the best third level institutions in the country, with a massive student population. The business hub of the Midwest region and the rugby capitol of Ireland.
    Yes Limerick is a bit rundown in places but it is changing the whole time, everyday I seem to notice a new building been build or restored. Give it 5-10 years and it will be a totally different city. There are many other wonderful things about this city that you don’t fully appreciate till you leave the city for a while. Most of all is its where I grew up and I have many fond memory’s and great friends

btw
    I agree, the thing is the media were making it sound that Limerick was covered in roadblocks and that it was torn apart by the feud, what rubbish, nobody gives a crap about those 2 pack of scumbags, another thing being they would never be in the city, first of all, they'd never get into any pubs/club.

Sorry to tell you but they do, I have seen people [whose pictures have been in the paper regarding various charges including murder] in 2 of the biggest clubs in limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

And just last week there were 3 bombs in limerick, a drive by shooting at McDonald’s

I heard about bomb making equipment being seized, when was this drive by shooting.
    I'm off down to limerick tonight , should i pack some heat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

Now decentralistaion of Goverment depts - this is a pet hate of mine. Apart from one estate in Limerick all the areas with over 90% unemployment are in Dublin - still no sign of ANY Govt depts being decentralised to these areas..[/B]

I agree. The should be at least one State Department de-centralised down to Limerick. Namely the State Pathologist. Imagine how much time that they would save driving down to Limerick every second day.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Originally posted by Silent Death
    I agree. The should be at least one State Department de-centralised down to Limerick. Namely the State Pathologist. Imagine how much time that they would save driving down to Limerick every second day.:D

retard :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

Originally posted by IrishMike
    retard :rolleyes:

If you're going to make personal remarks like that, wait for me at midnight this Friday outside Roches in O'Connel Street Limerick. I won't be there, but feel free to wait there, someone will be sure to knock seven shades of shyte out of you. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Agent7249

got killed by his friend because he wouldn’t go to the chipper.

Didnt know it was his "friend":rolleyes:
    People say that limerick is the same as any other city but what other city in Ireland had guards armed with automatic weapons patrolling the city? [Maybe there is I don’t know]

That makes me feel safer :D, I would put it on a part of the publicity which has given the political figures a reason to put these armed guards in Limerick to win over the people of the county.
    Limerick is basically a Decent place, only one estate that has all the real trouble (around keeper hill)....

Where the hell is keeper hill? I live just about 2-3 miles out past south hill from the city, and never heard of it :confused:. Being where I am I hear more about what goes on in weston, south hill, garryowen and moyross, either trough word of mouth, sight or well the news. weston trough the news, southhill because I know some decent people from there, garryowen, well something that happened to one of my friends there and moyross, well simply seeing the stuff happennig from the offsite campuss down the road from LIT.

Just because I've said what I did there, it might seem like a crapload of stuff? Yes, yes it is, but guess what, this is over a 5 year period, and 5 years my friends is quite a long time indeed. The media are potraying things from the past, in statistics to further increase the impact of the story on the public, which indeed it does and I dont think it can be stopped. Ah well, I love limerick, been here all my life, the majority of my friends from the city are decent, honest, and the total opposite of scumbags. And although the media has given those of you who think Limerick is a "war zone" this picture of the city, go there for yourself for a day and you'll notice that it wont be as bad as you might imagine. (Just watch out for those "trouble makers" that you'd get everywhere:D )

• Advertisement

Originally posted by irishguy

Cork, that's where they are based and naturally Dublin, why wouldn't they be armed while the feud is ongoing?

The Limerick Leader published crime statistics last summer for the previous 12 months [government stats] & limerick was far behing places like Cork, Meath [which was the worse] & Dublin, sexual assault was rampant in Galway, nobody is going around calling beloved Galway Perv city.

I've seen many things happen around other towns and cities, Cork being the most frightening, but I wouldn't be as quick to point out other peoples faults.

The reality being, Ireland is run by a shower of gangsters in Leinster house who have no way of dealing with social problems, or dealing with drugs or drug gangs.

Bring on the oppressing communists please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

Keeper Hill is in Newport Co Tipperary on the Clare Limerick Tipp border. Pass by it on the Dublin road. I know of no Keeper Hill in Limerick and I have been there for the last 30 years or so

Originally posted by SAXA
    Keeper Hill is in Newport Co Tipperary on the Clare Limerick Tipp border. Pass by it on the Dublin road. I know of no Keeper Hill in Limerick and I have been there for the last 30 years or so

Check out: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1389631#post1389631 :)

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Doctor Funfrock

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Stevie G

i live in cork but go to college in ul and i feel safer going out in limerick than in cork i've be in limerick for 7 months and never had trouble then i went out in cork for one night with a few buddies from limerick and some knacker tried to start a fight out of nowhere, we were just walking back to the hostel which was near patricks st.
    the lads from limerick were shocked to see that somebody could just walk up to somebody on the street and try and start a fight. i work in club in limerick city and i'm yet to come across any major trouble.
    limerick is great craic for students, and yes there's trouble around the city but it's no more than encountered in dublin or cork or any other major populas around the country

too right stevie althoguh you dont pass trough south hill everyday, one of my mothers friends was passin by there on her scooter, the new bridge, just passin it a group of lads came out from the sides knocked hre off her bike, tried to take it. Only for a car coming along and makin the lads scatter did she get her bike and get away.

that was 2 weeks ago. were your few buddies from limerick cultchies? or just college residents. either of each means they're secluded from the trouble areas. I go to LIT, goin past 9pm i would never walk from the college into the city nor to the college offsite campus simply because of the gangs around the place, heading to the offsite campus from the colelge, there is a small area where there is a walkway turn into a driveway with a few houses, ive been hearing of college students being mugged along there recently.

Yes I do feel safe in limerick though, thats because I know who to look out for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 George_h

I lived in limerick for over a year. I'm now in dublin and I felt safer in Limerick. The reason Limerick gets press is that when something does happen its splashed out all over the media. In dublin someone gets killed or seriously injured every other night of the week but its relegated to a small paragraph.
    If a guy gets beat up in Limerick, the next day the papers say "20 maimed in Limerick gangland feud"

Pure and utter bollix and i'm not even from limerick and I'd prefer it any day to the big smoke........

Originally posted by Agent7249
    too right stevie althoguh you dont pass trough south hill everyday, one of my mothers friends was passin by there on her scooter, the new bridge, just passin it a group of lads came out from the sides knocked hre off her bike, tried to take it. Only for a car coming along and makin the lads scatter did she get her bike and get away.

that was 2 weeks ago. were your few buddies from limerick cultchies?
    Yes I do feel safe in limerick though, thats because I know who to look out for
    thats sh** about mothers friend but that kinda stuff happens all over the country not just in limerick but my buddy was from limerick lives out the ennis road i think!!
    anyway it's such a shame that this city has such a bad rep but it will change just give it time anyway
    anybody going to the riverfest thing on the weekend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

riverfest? what's that? A mass suicide attempt from the bridge going over the Shannon?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sjones
    riverfest? what's that? A mass suicide attempt from the bridge going over the Shannon?
    no no it's a huge festivle celebrating the river and all it's use there's a big freestyle kayak event on saturday morning followed by a dragon race also there is loads of stuff happening around the place and the frames are playing on monday night shud be fun!

Hm, I was under the impression that it was a festival to welcome Estonia into the EU. All the 10 new entrants to the EU are being given parties/festivals by different towns/cities around the country - its Estonia for us.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

that too but i forgot about it sorry

Originally posted by John2002
    It's Slovenia ...

Yes, that's correct - mea culpa!!

Mike

Originally posted by Stevie G
    thats sh** about mothers friend but that kinda stuff happens all over the country not just in limerick but my buddy was from limerick lives out the ennis road i think!!
    anyway it's such a shame that this city has such a bad rep but it will change just give it time anyway
    anybody going to the riverfest thing on the weekend!!

Thats not sh!t you twat :mad:, if you'd like to explain to her yourself that she was imagining it all I'd be glad to give you the details of where she works, effn w@nker.(she happens to be from chzeckeslovakia aswell, so its a great thing to have happen to you :rolleyes:)

More $h!te goes on here than you hear about in the newspapers, most stabbings/beatings arent even mentioned unless they are gang related, its those isolated incidents which arent mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Agent7249
    Thats not sh!t you twat :mad:, if you'd like to explain to her yourself that she was imagining it all I'd be glad to give you the details of where she works, effn w@nker.(she happens to be from chzeckeslovakia aswell, so its a great thing to have happen to you :rolleyes:)
    I doubt that he meant she was imagining it - it reads like he said it was crappy.

Originally posted by sceptre
    I doubt that he meant she was imagining it - it reads like he said it was crappy.
    ya thats what i meant if i was saying it was made up i would of said bullsh!t but i said sh!t so calm down
    More $h!te goes on here than you hear about in the newspapers, most stabbings/beatings arent even mentioned unless they are gang related, its those isolated incidents which arent mentioned
    ya this happens everywhere two!! i know that other **** happens in limerick but every major city in the world has these problems and i'm not saying that it's an excuse for some people to behave the way they do but it happens!! and i agree it's unfair that limerick gets slated for the stuff that happens not only in limerick but in dublin, cork, ennis, galway and in any major city

Was sorta half asleep then & bad mood there. Sorry.

Recently heard on radio about a newspaper going to look at the problem of violence and gangs in dublin, know its done before btu from the way it was said on the radio made it seem more like a murder/action film than reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ensoart

www.limericktreaty.com

worth a look make your voice heard on limerick issues which will go toward the formation of a new treaty for a modern day limerick.

Advertisement