Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

network issues

• 06-11-2003 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭

ok ive a problem, basically i had my 2 pc network working fine but for unseen cirq i had to disable it for a while, but now its enabled and able to file share, but not share internet

my pc which runs xp the server which has access to the net is set to 192.168.0.1 and 255.255.255.0

this then runs to a 4 port hub where another cat5 cable runs to another pc that runs win98, this second pc is set to 192.168.0.2 and 255.255.255.0

i can file share perfectly fine but the second pc is unable to access the internet, anyone any ideas what can be causing this?

what should i set in Tools > Internet-Options > Connections > LAN Settings > should it be on auto detect or select ip?

another query is im looking to add a laptop to the setup thru a 3rd cat5 cable coming from my hub, will setting the tcp/ip settings on the laptop ethernet card to 192.168.0.3 add it to the network and have file sharing and internet access? or do i need to take another route

(where would you pick up 30-40metres of cat5 :D ? )

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

In win xp machine go to the dial up connection (or adsl connection) and turn on sharing (it's under advanced option on the connection properties, then set the other machines to get there ip addresses by dhcp, you will be in business. Cat5, go to b&q.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

yah thats on mate..

i can ping the other machine and the other machine can ping here, file sharing is fine but still internet will not share to the second pc

any ideas?

You said the second machine is manually set to 192.168.0.2 you need to turn on DHCP on it, or else set the gateway to 192.168.0.1 on it, but preferably turn on dhcp. No gateway set means the traffic isnt leaving the network. Lets not mention DNS, turn on dhcp on the other machine, let me know what goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

ok on the second machine i set the gateway to 192.168.0.1 and still the net would not work

how do i turn on dhcp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Michele

Have you tried changing the internet options of Internet Explorer to never dial up a connection and automatic LAN detection?

Another try:
    at the command prompt of win98 type:
    route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1

Also... did you set the dns of your provider on the w98 machine?

Can you ping it from your w98 machine?

Oterwise try winproxy. It's much better software for network sharing.

• Advertisement

where you are putting the ip address gateway etc, change it to automatically get ip address, you will have to restart and when the machine comes back round it will have got an ip address off the xp machine, and all the correct gateway and dns stuff.

Advertisement