Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copying DVD's

Options
  • 06-11-2003 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

can anyone tell me where I can get my hands on good dvd burning software

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭flangeman

Nero(nero.com) is the best, Pay full price for this as it really is quality software. I've always been happy with them.

If you want to 'backup' your DVD's I'm currently using DVD Shrink(http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Vobtools/dvdshrink30beta5.zip)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

I think u need 3 pieces of software

1) dvd decrypter (free)
    2) instantcopy 8

both these can be used to rip and burn <EDIT> dvd's.
    also dvd decrpty. is great for making .iso's

you also need primodvd for copying any data dvds (incl dvds you have made from <EDIT>) and is top for <edit> / <edit> burning

HTH

Edited certain parts so as not to be seen as condoning piracy...

V.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm currently using dvdXcopy express, single click to "back-up" ANY dvd, highly recommend

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

CloneDVD is alright too. Very easy to use (even for newbies - not that I'm saying you're one), along with DVD decrypter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PopTart

Thanks for all your sugestions do any of you have site were I can pick up these Software Gems
    and I'm glad to see a couple ppl picked up on the type of dvd burning I want to do.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Poptart, I get decent results with DVDShrink as the decrypter and ripper (it's easy to use), then either Nero or Clone DVD as the burning software.

By the way, try CDRSoft.cc for the software.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I've said it many times.....

To rip - DVDDecoder (free)
    To Resize - DVD2one (free)
    To burn - Nero

If your feeling adventurous you can rip your movie to a DivX. Encode to Mpeg2 using KDVD template and TPMGenc which will result in a 1GB video file (approx). Encode sound with virtual dub to Wav. Encode Wav to AC3 with Besweet. Authour and burn and you will now have 3/4 movies on 1 blank DVD with compariable quality to your origional DVD.

If anyone wants info on how to do this let me know. It's not difficult.

I'll prob regret asking cause it sounds super difficult but can you tell me .

Be interested to hear about that myself DaveG, DVD burning is new to me and your burner recomendation was already sound. (me strokes Pioneer A06)

• Advertisement

Ok firstly I'm going to approach this from the home movie to DVD rather than the copying DVD point of view other wise this thread might get locked.

I'll post back a tutorial that I'm making tomorrow which goes through each step.

Thanks dave
    talk to ye
    2moro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

Quick question guys! If you had a Time PC (Athlon 1.2GHz processor, 256 megs of ram) what internal DVD burner would you recommend? Even if you don't have the above PC, feel free to suggest a drive! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Hiya Dave

Content of this sort is very welcome and I think your approach regarding the tutorial is spot on ie the home movie angle.

Can you post a request that no one mentions specific copyrighted material if they reply to your thread... if there is anything else I think of I will post here and like wise if anyone else can post some tips that will help us ensure that the thread is as informative as can be without being explict in how to pirate copyrighted material.

I will admit that I sometimes copy a rented dvd to the hard drive of my HTPC if I do not get a chance to watch it the night I rent it, I always delete this material... if this breaking copyright?

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Appreciate the mod/admin comments about copyright infringement but .......

<edit - repeats material edited from previous post>

....suggests clear piracy.

<edit - repeats material edited from previous post>

Just a word of advice - don't want to see Boards getting into trouble ;)

Thanks for the heads up Kramer... I think this could be a useful post so I have removed the items from the earlier post that were repeated here ....... also removed the offending specifics you quoted here.

V.

Originally posted by Vexorg
    Hiya Dave

Content of this sort is very welcome and I think your approach regarding the tutorial is spot on ie the home movie angle.

Can you post a request that no one mentions specific copyrighted material if they reply to your thread... if there is anything else I think of I will post here and like wise if anyone else can post some tips that will help us ensure that the thread is as informative as can be without being explict in how to pirate copyrighted material.

I will admit that I sometimes copy a rented dvd to the hard drive of my HTPC if I do not get a chance to watch it the night I rent it, I always delete this material... if this breaking copyright?

V.

Thanks Vex. I was a bit concerned about posting the information in the thread (esp with the title "copying DVD's"). What I suggest is that I will create a new thread called home videos (divX) to DVD so as to bypass any legality issues. Oh and BTW afaik ripping your rented DVD to your hard disk is illegal. Even the rippers (DVDdecryptor and smartripper) are illegal - or at least a legal grey area.

Originally posted by McGintyMcGoo
    Quick question guys! If you had a Time PC (Athlon 1.2GHz processor, 256 megs of ram) what internal DVD burner would you recommend? Even if you don't have the above PC, feel free to suggest a drive! :D

regardless of what Pc you have my recommendation will always be the Pioneer Ao6 and if you check http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk you'll pick it up for £99.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Originally posted by daveg
    regardless of what Pc you have my recommendation will always be the Pioneer Ao6 and if you check http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk you'll pick it up for £99.

I bought that drive, from that shop, and have no problems. In fact, I'd go so far as to recommend it as I get far less coasters from that drive than I do my others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Regarding the copying...or time shifting of rented DVDs, (time shifting being I am unable to watch the DVD today but I can tomorrow... ) Similar to a vhs copy of say the movie Spere last night, its a copy/time shift of copyright material.

Any legal heads out there who know for sure... :)

Dave, I have seen the Title "Ripping 101" used on other legit sites... I will pm you the URL, there may well be something useful there. Copying DVDs is a poor title.

V.

Advertisement