Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreal Tournament - Big Disappointment

Options
  • 18-09-1999 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭

Were you disappointed??? I know I was. I'm not saying its a bad game but from all the hype and how many ways it would kick Q3A's ass, I guess I expected a whole lot more.

BIG LET DOWN

Jimmy...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

its a matter of opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

i tried offline v bots first, and that was good fun, but online .... i dunno, may have been my conn, but it was poor.

oh, and the rockets are too slow :p

ButcherOfNog
    Hot Internet Virgins
    clans.quake.ie/hiv
    butcherofnog@quake.ie

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Frames are ****, I'll wait for the openGL version before giving up and I'll try it on my home machine rather then my work machine but it had better get a lot better. Theres a lot of good things in it but the engine isnt there...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

How do you mean, the engine isn't there? The graphics engine? Or the gameplay engine?

I think anyone not playing on Glide can't really judge the demo on the basis of a sloppy TNT hack. Wait for the OGL/D3D demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well i gotta say i like it
    only problem is when i get t o the fractal match on dm it crashes. anyone else get that?
    if not can you send me the map?

also on the assault levels..the first one..what the hell are you suppose to do? just defend against the blues who are trying to get to the red button room at athe top of the ship?
    that seems a bit crap to do? i always loose coz i get bored of 15 minutes of defending that i decide to bugger of and snipe
    way more fun!!!

• Advertisement

the bot AI is quite impressive, now that i've given the ctf a go on single player. the bots on your own team shouting out the enemy flag carriers position etc, nice, v nice.

however, why oh why are all the maps so poor in the demo?

ButcherOfNog
    Hot Internet Virgins
    clans.quake.ie/hiv
    butcherofnog@quake.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Fractal? Assault?
    All i see in my demo is 1 ctf map, 1 domination map, and 3 DM maps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

Yeah me too - WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

you monkeys they had the test version that had all the levs not the demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

I found it sucks to what i was expecting. Played it for 20 mins on a lan this weekend *SNORE* smile.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    Quake3 Arena 0wns UT

[This message has been edited by Chaos (edited 19-09-99).]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I found this better than i expected, since i wasnt much a fan of the original Unreal. It ran very nicely on my poor p266, compared to Quake 3. 2 of the deathmatch levels i like alot but im not sure about the one with the tall skyscrapers. Capture the flag very good.

naw i thought the skyscraper one was nice and simple, plenty of room to move.. like tribes smile.gif

double kill
    Multi Kill
    - ULTRA KILL -
    -= M O N S T E R K I L L =-
    smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

hey lads any chance u could make available the best maps that came with the test.. i'd say they would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I haven't played the demo yet, so I can't comment on the maps in it...

Eamo, in assault you have to defend, and then you have to attack in the next "round" of the game. Whoever successfully assaults the base in the shortest amount of time, wins. This doesn't quite work in the May Beta, but was fully enabled in the more recent versions we saw.

Yes, DM-Fractal is broken in that version. If you want to play levels, I suggest that the best way to do it is to click "Start Prectise Session", select your gametype, level, number of bots etc, and you're away smile.gif

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

The whole Q1 vs Q2 thing was bad enough.
    I can see more arguments in the near future.
    Who would've thought?
    *yawn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

It's gimmicky and fun, kinda like duke nukem. Okay for a laugh though nothing serious..

how can 1 game be serious and another not?
    all games are meant to be for fun unless u can make money off em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Erisian

Bridge is more serious than snap, whether you're playing for money or not. It would be possible to play snap seriously and brisdge just for laughs, but it seems clear that games have atmosphere / attitude, and that those can be serious or 'fun' or whatever. And UT hs more of a 'fun' atmosphere than Q3A, IMO.

I think that Q3A is better. The hype about UT hasn't been lived up to, and while it's good it doesnt 'blow Q3A away' like many said it would. A lot of it is just taste, and what you're used to...

I don't think UT is going to take that many players from Q3A - it has to fight against the id/Quake name, and it doesn't have enough to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I have to say that I'm impressed with UT. In my opinion it is better than Q3a which I have given up playing.

CTF in UT ****in rocks btw. Hmmm have the other CG lads tried this yet, I nearly get that good old "quakesrv2" feeling from it.

The only problem I have with UT is the internet code. Now it may be the ****e conns I'm getting thru indigo but the Internet code seems to me to be fragile, ie you diss from the servers quite alot. I can't wait to try this on a Lan, UT CTF Compo at QPII smile.gif

In my opinion this is a better game than Q3a, still no compo for Quake the original and the best tongue.gif

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

Is it just for 3dfx atm or can I get another download

• Advertisement

helv - u can play the current version in software mode.

gandalf - the net code isn't as solid as q3t. yes it does play v well over a lan smile.gif

the bots in the demo are v good
    the levels in the demo are v poor

most importantly:
    this is utdemo, we are still waiting for q3demo.

YAY!

Where can I get it tho? All I've seen are the glide demos

its the same download, you just need to create an empty text file, name it "glide2x.dll" and pop it into your windows/system directory to get it to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

Good point Erisian - that's close to what I was going to say! The jazzy music, millions of guns and wild air control water UT down in a competitive sense imo.

Another thing I'm not too gone on about Epic/UT is the way the blatently copy everything ID do, and then add on their own bits.

I see that another thing they are going to do is to add in the Q3 "ping" sound as a damage indicator.

I'd be a bit peed off if I were in ID - I'd be like "hey - stop stealing all my ideas!! Go write your own game!!"

That said all we're interested in is the game at the end of the day, so the competition can only be a good thing.

the *ping* in q3t when u cause damage is woefull, the q2 way is better, the grunting sounds that gradually get higher pitched till you kill them, u hit someone and u automatically know how close to death they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Erisian

Gotta disagree (partially) about the 'ping' sound, Butcher. I think it works pretty well. I don't have a lot of Q2 experience but it seems to me that grunts would get lost in the general noises in an intense FFA. What _would_ be a good improvement is something that sounds like the ping but that increases pitch as damage increases, so that the information conveyed would be equivalent to Q2 but it would still stand out more from the other noise.

[This message has been edited by Erisian (edited 22-09-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

quake grunts are cool, much better than the gay ping noise

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 22-09-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

all this yap about ... q3a being TEST and not even in DEMO version yet, and ohhhhhh its just to *test* things out and so on, is just a load of ****e.

Remember the auld q1 test ... mmm i didn't see a huge change from that to the quake *DEMO*, ok it got the weapon figures sorted and new maps and changes here and there but the basic game was the same, and remember that q2 *test*, same old story.

q3a WILL be very like the q3atest ...

so don't go holding your breathe !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

Ere Puppet

If All things were Like
    "Another thing I'm not too gone on about Epic/UT is the way the blatently copy everything ID do, and then add on their own bits."

Right so , for example when the first TV was made. it should have been left alone and no other company try and improve it?

When the first puter was made should we have left it alone and stopped all other companys making better ones?

And So On

What the fook is wrong with taking a good concept and improving it ta bits?

Go Back Under Your Rock Ya Hermit

Advertisement