Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P4 2.6 cheaper than 2.4?

• 06-11-2003 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

I was on overclockers.co.uk picking up a P4 and came back to find the P4 2.4 I wanted was out of stock. However the 2.6 was there for about the same price. So i bought the 2.6 instead. But the 2.4 came back and was more expensive than it was previouly and more than the 2.6! (still is) here

What's up with that? Is the 2.4 more overclockable?

Surely you can get more out of a better CPU?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by quarryman
    What's up with that? Is the 2.4 more overclockable?
    With air cooling you get more bang for your buck with a 2.4 .... a 2.6 wont get as much of an percentage increase ..... Why a 2.4 costs more is simply supply and demand ... whether it makes sense is to pay more for a slower chip is up to individuals, but I'd say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

If you're not going to overclock, the 2.6 is obviously a better deal.
    Most o/cers use the 2.4 since it's highly likely to run at 3Ghz out of the box with stock cooling (like mine :)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

:eek: Just saw the Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology Extreme Edition. Where's my credit card:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

isnt that version now going b ythe term HT Technology Expensive Edition

was the 2.6ghz the 533 FSB or 800 FSB

Ive seen it in loads of places that the best CPU for your buck is the 2.4 800mhz FSP. It OC's really easily (apparently) and is very stable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Just saw the Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology Extreme Edition. Where's my credit card

someone's prob using it to buy one :p

it costs.......... €1030 on o/c's

holy s**t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

My credit card has just exploded. :D Ill be waiting for that beast to go down in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

After all my moaning previously i've gone P4 :D
    Got a 2.6c for a few quid dearer than a 2.4c online and straight out of the box i got 3.1 stable which i'm pretty happy with it.
    If i get new ram i could get 3.25 i'd say.
    I'm happy at the moment but will be happier once i get my ram and h/d sorted :D

Advertisement