Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3.5Ghz - and the winners are....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Chorus got 25% of them !

Digiweb got more than IBB

Net 2 Cell came second, never even heard of them.

about 35% Geographic coverage once the overlaps are factored in

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Still sitting here laughing at the fact Chorus got one in an NTL area , i.e. Dublin :)

The circles (approximating to licence areas) at the scale drawn on the maps appear to have a radius of 25km, I thought the licence areas were of 15Km radius so we should halve those circles really should we not ? Halve the coverage as well.

I'm stunned at Chorus getting 25% of the licences, BTW they had ALL this spectrum in Dublin until June this year, now they have a quarter of it back despite losing it ALL for incompetence and worse. :D

Who are Net2Cell and Budget....name names please do .

M

Net2Cell are a bunch of people with money basically who knew there was a few bob to be made from this.....I did have names but cant for the life of me find them...

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

What is the likelyhood that Chorus will once again sit on the licenses which they have been granted? This is in light of their past performance and the fact that the Gubmt is suing their ass for millions of Euros.

I'm particularly interested because they have one for an area where I live and want to know if this is really a step forward or just another Irish solution to an Irish problem ?

Thanks

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Intresting.

Chorus seem to have lost their licence in limerick (ive been told that their current powernet product works on 2.5ghz, so isnt affected by this..) and been awarded a glut of spectrum around dublin, kerry and the midlands.

Irish Broadband have got spectrum in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford now.

LEAP have spectrum in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford.

Net2Cell(?) have spectrum in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Kerry, Mayo, Kildare and the south east.

Digiweb have most of their spectrum in the northern half of the country, with 3 stations around the kildare/waterford region.

Budget Wireless(?) have Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway.

Last Mile have 2 in the midlands.

Real Broadband(?) have parts of west Kerry, Limerick and Clare.

The wesht and norf seem to have been neglected rather serverly, excluding one or two provisions.

<edit: Its also worth noting that we have at _least_ four competing companys in each of the five major citys now. Intresting to see what comes of that>

<edit2: new info, chorus stuff changed a bit:)>

Mr_Man my guess would be that Chorus know what they are doing - Cable Co's learned a lot from mistakes in the past...I know you cant undo the past but now that the licences are granted lets just hope that people accept the offers and get on with the business of providing broadband to the punters!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Haven't there been strings attached to prevent Chorus from doing the same thing this time? Or is that too much to ask of Comreg?

adam

Chorus will lose the licences again. double quick, if they squat on them.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

This could be very hopeful.
    BTW, who is 'Real Broadband'?

• Advertisement

And the Bond.....

Remember - these are only offers - they have not yet been accepted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

only in Ireland could a company that lost a license be awarded it again straight away. I hope comreg have made it very clear to them that if they have a repeat performance they will lose them a lot quicker this time. Wonder how long it will take for these companies to accept, enter their bond and start rolling out services?

LFCfan is there not some song that goes "Dont know what you got , 'till it's gone"

I am going to remain wonderfully optimistic and blissfully unaware of ANY problems - I am also going to assume that they will all accept their allotment and begin rolling out services in 8-10 weeks.

I will hear nothing of the baddness!! :)

Originally posted by crawler
    LFCfan is there not some song that goes "Dont know what you got , 'till it's gone"

I am going to remain wonderfully optimistic and blissfully unaware of ANY problems - I am also going to assume that they will all accept their allotment and begin rolling out services in 8-10 weeks.

I will hear nothing of the baddness!! :)

mmm, optimism and broadband in Ireland. Haven't heard those words together before. I suppose though, if Shirly Temple Bar can manage to get on TV anything is possible :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by Muck
    Chorus will lose the licences again. double quick, if they squat on them.

In theory. Eircom are squatting on a huge chunk of the 3.5ghz spectrum, and they do not appear to be losing their license.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    In theory. Eircom are squatting on a huge chunk of the 3.5ghz spectrum, and they do not appear to be losing their license.

Strictly speaking Eircom have meet their license requirements. They actually have put put 3.5GHz gear in place, however they just don't advertise it's existence.

I believe an IOFFL member managed to get telephone and ISDN services over 3.5GHz from Eircom after months of complaints to Eircom, ComReg etc.

Well we all know that €ircon have the equivalent of blackmail material held over Comreg so Comreg won't rock the boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by LFCFan
    Well we all know that €ircon have the equivalent of blackmail material held over Comreg so Comreg won't rock the boat.
    That is due to their current hugely dominant position particularly over the last mile. When people are in a position to completely switch to other operators (not just resellers) this will change.

Eircom have 2 x 10 = 20Mhz , Comreg refuse to say where Eircom have deployed it (ssshhhhhh) "allegedly" in 20-25% of the state if you believe Comreg...who refuse to prove it or discuss ity or publish a map or require Eircom to publish a map because it is not available.

Comreg are scaredy cats when it comes to taking licences off Eircom.

In This Round

The D Licencees (Budget) will get 50Mhz
    The B licencees (Chorus/Net2Cell) will get 35Mhz
    The C Licencees (Leap) will get 50Mhz
    The A licencees (IBB) will get 50Mhz

I refer to the licencee who generally got the 5 Big Cities in each Band , there are others of course and not all got the 5 or applied for them. Some may now sulk and not accept their licences but we will find out shortly .............

M

Does anyone know what services/products these companies are proposing to offer? I know ComReg must have this information, as it was part of the application.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by LFCFan
    mmm, optimism and broadband in Ireland. Haven't heard those words together before. I suppose though, if Shirly Temple Bar can manage to get on TV anything is possible :D
    A number of companies won't accept the licences. A number will take them but won't do anything with them. It will always be in certain companies interests to squat licences as this delays competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

must go out and buy some shares in balloon/airship manufacturers - it's about the only way coverage would even come close to those lovely circles! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    A number of companies won't accept the licences. A number will take them but won't do anything with them. It will always be in certain companies interests to squat licences as this delays competition.

They can't do that, the license is a use it or lose it type.

AFAIK, each company had to submit the prices and specifications of a residential product and a business product as part of the license application. If the company doesn't roll out the products as describe above, the license can be taken off them after one year.

I'd say some of these companies may not take up all these licenses, when they see how many other competitors they will have in each area.

I'd say IBB, Digiweb and Leap will more then likely take up these licenses. The others are less certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Either my eyesight is going or I'm in denial.

Can anyone tell me if any of these licences cover the Youghal/Middelton areas, or am I clean out of luck ?

Also, in order for each operator to apply for a license, they must have had a specific mast/building location in mind am I right ?

If so, will we be able to get details of these ?

Please God let me be covered by someone, even Chorus!!!!!

Whats the rollout criterea ?#

wexfordman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I'd love to see those maps with line of sight instead of nice circles, particularly in Kerry, those circles would be 95% smaller ..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Methinks this is likely to cover urban areas only, and not too much rural areas. Somebody correct me but it looks like lots of companies in Cork city, and little else outside the city.

What happened to Amocom ? Not sure if its worrying the fact that they did'nt apply or not seeing as they got a grant for a trial and now dont seem interested in this ? Been checking there website for the last couple of months also and not that impressed "The FAQ page will be updated shortly" from day dot

I know its great to see a start, but it needs to be done on an even keel, incentivise these companies to go outside urban areas.

In addition to the questions on my previous post, what is the actual range of these sites ?

wexfordman

at 3.5Ghz

OFDM will do about 4km NLOS and about 15KM LOS
    NLOS depends on a zillion different things

Originally posted by wexfordman
    In addition to the questions on my previous post, what is the actual range of these sites ?

Originally ComReg said the licenses were for up to 15km, however in the map they are drawn in as 25km.

From a technical prespective, subscriber equipment that operates at 3.5ghz typically has a range of up to 30km (some equipment such as Redline will get you up to 100km at 3.5ghz, but it is too expensive to use for residential subscribers). Note that this can decrease substantially once you factor in obstacles such as buildings, trees and other terrain.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by bk
    I believe an IOFFL member managed to get telephone and ISDN services over 3.5GHz from Eircom after months of complaints to Eircom, ComReg etc.
    *ahem* An IOffl committee member at that, Brian! ;)

Several people around here have PSTN services over the same type of equipment. They are extremely reluctant to roll out any more ISDN connections, for reasons that are not entirely clear.

Speaking of which, maybe it's time I started hassling Eircom about that 384kb asymmetrical service their licence obliges them to provide...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    Speaking of which, maybe it's time I started hassling Eircom about that 384kb asymmetrical service their licence obliges them to provide...

And now you know why i was pointed about McRedmonds use of the phrase "Places"

Eircom allegedly already cover over 20% and possibly as much as 25% of the country with 3.5Ghz and they offer 384k ADSL wireless on that spectrum. They can not refuse to do so as you know perfectly well yourself :D . That might lose them the entire spectrum which is allegedly very useful for backhaul (which they are not licenced to do in that spectrum <cough><cough> ahem!)

Their Landline based DSL will cover 14% of the country by September 2004.

M

Advertisement