Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3.5Ghz - and the winners are....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

So, shag all coverage for Mayo. Nothing new there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

where did comreg get the maps! jeeze it like something from the 1600 handdrawn ones.

can anyone point out the blessington lakes....!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

quote:
    Eircom about that 384kb asymmetrical service their licence obliges them to provide...

Eircom allegedly already cover over 20% and possibly as much as 25% of the country with 3.5Ghz and they offer 384k ADSL wireless on that spectrum. They can not refuse to do so as you know perfectly well yourself . That might lose them the entire spectrum

Where can I find out more about this "mythical" 25% coverage?
    And how can I too start hassling them about it?

Any public info available on this or is it all hush-hush?

thnx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by Muck
    And now you know why i was pointed about McRedmonds use of the phrase "Places"

Eircom allegedly already cover over 20% and possibly as much as 25% of the country with 3.5Ghz and they offer 384k ADSL wireless on that spectrum. They can not refuse to do so as you know perfectly well yourself :D . That might lose them the entire spectrum which is allegedly very useful for backhaul (which they are not licenced to do in that spectrum <cough><cough> ahem!)

Their Landline based DSL will cover 14% of the country by September 2004.

M

This available in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by wexfordman
    What happened to Amocom ?

Amocom use Motorola Canopy Kit in the 5Ghz band which is unlicenced or where you register the base station only, I came across the price list for this kit Here recently and that does not include either Antennae or Installation.

He used to answer his PM's around here but stopped months ago, its probably all my fault or else

Lets All Play Blame Adam©™ﺝﺦ®™ , fheckin toy ads !

M

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by bealtine
    Search for "ISDN" and my handle on this board.
    I'll let you know how I get on for a start.

Originally posted by bealtine

Any public info available on this or is it all hush-hush?

Oscarbravo and I discussed this licence at length in the spring, I sugges you read the thread in detail and refer to the link below when so doing.

The commencement date of the licence was June 2000 , the coverage requirements from Comreg depend on the YEAR to June after June 2000 meaning we will reach the end of Year 4 in June 2004

Currently Eircom ar between the years 1 and 5 targets in their licence. That mentions 11 Counties and 19% of the Land Area of the state at least as of June 2001. They have rolled out more since, albeit slowly, which is where the 20-25% figure comes from . I found the list of counties somewhere but cannot remember them. Each covered county must have 400 Km2 of coverage so if Dublin has any it will cover a goodly area.

Comreg will tell you the counties in which Eircom currently supplies 3.5Ghz services if you mail info@comreg.ie

This requirement on page 11 of their licence itself which is here

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0319R.pdf

Read On.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by crawler
    LFCfan is there not some song that goes "Dont know what you got , 'till it's gone"
    Big Yellow Taxi

What's my prize? Can I pave paradise and put up a parking lot (cos that would be so cool)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Got a reply from comreg following my request for info re which counties are currently being serviced by eircon's 3.5ghz service. Interesting way of avoiding answering the question....

Dear ,
    To date we have not made such information available on our website.
    However we do have plans to place this information on our siteviewer
    database in the future.

In the meantime if this is not satisfactory, you can submit a request
    for this information under the Freedom of Information Act.

See our page on FOI for details of how to submit a formal FOI request.

I hope this helps,

Patricia Dowling
    Information Officer

Commission for Communications Regulation

Abbey Court, Irish Life Centre, Lower Abbey Street, Dublin 1, Ireland

Telephone +353 1 804 9722
    Fax +353 1 804 9680
    Email patricia.dowling@comreg.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Nice to see that Comreg are getting into the spirit of Benchmarking and delivering the reforms promised in order to get the raises.

In the past they would have told you that this kind of information is not for the plebs. Now they tell you we have it, we might make it easily available in the future but for now, beg for it.

Typifies the whole approach they seem to have to serving the public,

M.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Gibs
    To date we have not made such information available on our website.

Neither do Eircom

However we do have plans to place this information on our siteviewer
    database in the future.

2007 is in the future, these Counties were covered in June 2001 (mainly) so how long does a plan last ?
    In the meantime if this is not satisfactory, you can submit a request for this information under the Freedom of Information Act.

Tell Comreg to provide a simple yes/no answer about YOUR county and the name of the Eircom person/department department that deals with 3.5Ghz circuits and if they don't then take it to the Ombudsmans office, http://www.ombudsman./ie

M

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

in the meantime if this is not satisfactory, you can submit a requestfor this information under the Freedom of Information Act.

How do they get away with such a statement! Why is it not in their interests simply just to give an answer...or is it that the relevant infos gathering dust somewhere in Abbey Street and its too much trouble to dig it out?

:mad:

I hope you can find the time to take this further (and not be fobbed off) giblet..cos there may be an angle here for me too ..just want to see how you & oscar bravo get on first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Suggesting that an FOI request be made in this case is actually good advice - it means that the release of this information will more than likeley be fast tracked, as the FOI request will have to be responded to within a certain time frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

huh? I've obviously picked this up wrong then pete...i thought they actually have the info themselves..i mean they must have right?

In which case they're with-holding it..

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    huh? I've obviously picked this up wrong then pete...i thought they actually have the info themselves..i mean they must have right?

In which case the issue of a reasonable request arises.

A request to Comreg regarding their enforcement of Eircoms 3.5Ghz licence is a reasonable request.

Comreg have refused to respond to this request, namely a question as to the availibiility of the basket of mandatory services in a given area. The licence indicates that Eircom offer 3.5Ghz services in a 400 Km 2 area in each of 11 counties .....as a minimum. These 11 counties have ISDN Leased Lines and ADSL type services .

If you ask whether the service is available IN YOUR county and if Comreg refuse to comply with that request then Comreg are being unreasonable .

Comreg then suggested you FoI, yet they did not tell you if they would answer your query under this mechanism. If there is to be an FoI it should be an extremely wide ranging FoI , I do not think an FoI is the way to go.

You have exhausted normal escalation procedures with Comreg and as Comreg have refused to comply then you have a case with the Ombudsman.

M

Originally posted by Eurorunner

What i meant is that if Comreg have the information but just haven't yet gotten around to releasing it to the great unwashed, then the lodging of an an FOI request may move things along a bit quicker. In any event Eircom aren't covered by the FOI act.

That's my reading of their reply anyway.

With regard to "Comreg then suggested you FoI, yet they did not tell you if they would answer your query under this mechanism.", quite often in Civil Service Land information isn't released to the public simply because nobody at a senior enough level has explicitly stated that it can or can't be released... this isn't a deliberate cover up mechanism or anything sinister like that - it's just the age old public service problem of finding someone prepared to actually make a decision.

But part of the wonder of the FOI process is that it can force this decision making step quite easily due to the time constraints imposed. Each body covered by the FOI act has a number of their officers trained as FOI Decision Makers for this very purpose.

As it happens, in many cases bodies covered by the FOI act will be more than happy to deal with these queries outside of the FOI process, as this reduces their profile in the annual FOI stats. But they'll still have to deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Well, I wrote back to comreg asking them for specific info re my county and the current availability of 3.5GHz services. I informed them that I would be contacting the ombudsman if I couldn't get the info from comreg. Below is the response I got.

(P.S. what's the difference between avoidance and evasion??....)

Dear ,
    Thank you for your email.
    My response was intended to open up another avenue for you to get the
    information you need as it is likely that the information you seek will
    not be available on our web site for some time.
    By using FOI, your request is subject to strict deadlines on our part
    and ensures that you receve a speedy reply to your request.

In any case, I have asked the FWA team involved to look at your request
    again and they are currently examining eircom's FWA obligations to try
    to ensure that you get the information you need including an appropriate
    contact in eircom. I will contact you as soon as I hear back from them.

Patricia Dowling
    Information Officer

Did i mention my name is really "patricia"?

:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

I spoke to my local 'Mole' in Eircom in Castlebar today. My 'Mole' is an engineering person not a marketing person.
    We had an interesting 'discussion' concerning FWA from eircom in this part of Mayo. Here is what I now Know concerting 3.5 ghz FWA availability from Eircom in Mayo.

1/ Sites confirmed to me in this area are Castlebar (Mast in town ) Westport (Farnaught Hill ) Achill Island , Somewhere near Bellmullet. There are other areas covered in Mayo including presumably Ballina

2/ Officially they only do POTS on it in this area but it but the POTS service works very well for dialup access, I said I Knew of someone who had ISDN over it and he said Eircom don't normally provide ISDN over it since it uses up a full timeslot.
    I asked about 384k Wireless and he said that He wasn't aware of anyone on this around here. This would use up 3 full slots and would present them with capacity problems if they actually were to deliver this service to more than a couple of users. Apparently Eircom is trialling FWA ADSL service somewhere in Cork but He had no further details.

Regarding ADSL line failures in towns (which was the original reason I placed a call to my 'mole' )

Mole felt that lines that were within the required line distance from an exchange but failed should simply be treated as faulty lines and fixed, He also said that this view was not a view held by his employer :D

.Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

i have started to email some of the winners of the licenses from the bieginning of this week.

i have as of this morning had no replies

and indeed (now maybe its my search on google) but i can t find web addresses for some of the lesser known ones...

anyone else try and have any better luck?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Originally posted by crawler
    Net2Cell are a bunch of people with money basically who knew there was a few bob to be made from this

ComReg to grant 32 Fixed Wireless Access 3.5GHZ licences

Obviously not - they turned down all 13 of the licences they were offered. Chorus turned down all but one of the 15 they were offered (no loss, I suppose, other than a year of anticipation waiting to see if they would actually do something with them). All other licences offered were accepted.

Originally posted by Muck 06-11-2003 17:56
    In This Round

The D Licencees (Budget) will get 50Mhz
    The B licencees (Chorus/Net2Cell) will get 35Mhz
    The C Licencees (Leap) will get 50Mhz
    The A licencees (IBB) will get 50Mhz

I refer to the licencee who generally got the 5 Big Cities in each Band , there are others of course and not all got the 5 or applied for them. Some may now sulk and not accept their licences but we will find out shortly .............

M

I always say that its not over till the <SNIP, Enough, Banned for a Week , The Mods>

Net2Cell threw the biggest sulk of the lot it seems. Hope Chorus didnt accept Galway :D

M

Originally posted by Muck (yes, by Muck)
    <SNIP, Enough, Banned for a Week , The Mods>
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

What, Muck is banned for a week? Say it isn't so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭FirA_Fascio

OH DEAR GOD NO!

we'll all be starved of eircom-related gossip! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by iwb

It isn't so.

sceptre quoted Muck, he didn't ban Muck! Long live Muck ... yes uhm.

Originally posted by iwb
    OK, it isn't so:) (it wasn't so anyway as the more observant may have noticed)

(like nahdoic said. I'd say more but I'll leave tipsy/drunk posting for other forums)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Article in todays Irish Times suggesting that Despite being offered/awarded something like 15 licences, Chorus are only going to take up one - in Dublin.

Seems like the other ones aren't commercially viable!

Did companies have to apply for licences in certain locations or were the locations up to Comreg (or whoever granted the licences)?

Sounds kind of unusual if Chorus applied for licences in various locations and then discovered that Dublin was the only commercially viable location afterwards!

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

What is the benefit of 3ghz ?

Is it going to improve pings and DL speeds or just offer it over longer range or what?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It means you can use more than 100mW Legally - so no the range probably won't go up.
    It means you don't recieve inteference from or cause inteference to 2.4GHz users.

Advertisement