Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3.5Ghz - and the winners are....

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

i seems like a long time that ibb have got these liences but still hasn't announced when they will launch a product on it. will ripwave be launced with 3.5 ghz or on any other base station other than 3rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by vishal
    i seems like a long time that ibb have got these liences but still hasn't announced when they will launch a product on it.
    This thread only started 5 weeks ago, on the day that the licenses were announced. None of the companies that received licenses have offered new services on foot of the new licenses yet, though there was a post referring to a new IBB basestation in Cork just the other day.
    will ripwave be launced with 3.5 ghz or on any other base station other than 3rock. [/B]
    Unfortunately, there are some indications that the muppets in ComReg might not allow RipWave to be used in the 3.5GHz licenses (but that might simpley be a miscommunication - nobody has heard anything definitive yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

what ever happened to LEAP... they were offered licences in most of the main towns but didnt take them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Leap took their licences. The rejections came from Chorus and Net2Cell .

By the way, don't assume that an IBB 'launch' means anything, ask anybody in Blanchardstown what an IBB announcement actually means in practice.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Does anyone have an update on whether the companies are rolling out services in the areas they have licenses for.

I contacted IBB a few months ago and they siad they would rollout in Galway mid 2004, Leap told me today that it would be end 2004 for them

Does anyone know about Budget Wireless......?, did they reject like Chorus ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

I contacted IBB a few months ago and they siad they would rollout in Galway mid 2004

Pardon me, but what a steaming crock of horse sh*te, 'Artane, Killester et al' has been on their coming soon list since last September. Like just how long does it take to put up a base station, or are we just arbatarily putting up locations on the coming soon list ...

I think we can now safely say with 'Irish Broadband', they may have all the very best intentions in the world but don't believe anything they tell you.

I amn't putting a downer on the whole thing lads, but come on you are stretching things just a little, we have had umptin press releases over the past few years promising loads with very little to show, just what are you doing with your licenses ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

In the case of Galway, Irish Broadband accepted and paid for the license, so if they do not roll out by late summer (could someone clarify the deadline), they will lose the license and the money they put into that license.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

IrishBroadband posted a loss of 2.5m last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

(to be taken with the usual large grain of salt but)

I was talking to IBB at the ICT Expo recently and they were awaiting delivery of Base stations at that time. IIRC there was an order of 12 due late summer. These were for RipWave though not the more widespread package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by MarVeL
    (to be taken with the usual large grain of salt but)

Could we agree on the proper cruising altitude for a Pig ?

The deadline is either November 2004 for all rollouts (licence awards announced Nov 2003 ) or else Feb 2005 (completed licences and bonds signed up for by award recipients and licence formally issued) , the one year use it or lose it service rollout deadline dates from one or the other of those dates.

In a worst possible case you could be waiting another 9 months for IBB to show up.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Some of the wireless kit not doing "exactly what it say on the tin" would also be a factor!!

I'm not the world's biggest fan of Navini anyway....sounds too much like an Irish collective version of "Navan"!! :) , that and it's fairly $hite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you give me
    Power
    and Frequency,

I can do a "realistic" coverage plot, assuming a typical mesh "dish" on your chimney of semi with a 6ft pole.

(If not that, give me your house height and pole size etc.)

click here http://members.boards.ie/watty/eirepeaters.htm

on Limerick, Cork, Dungarvin etc to see examples for 145MHz @ 10W

(not all dots are uploaded yet)

Advertisement