Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Modem: Worth it?

• 06-11-2003 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭

ADSL Modem

Internal PCI card ADSL (Conexant chipset)
    Suitable for eircom ADSL line
    Up to 8Mb/s downstream, 1Mb/s upstream
    RJ11 connection (phone)
    Windows 98 / ME/ NT4 / 2000 / XP

Euro 65.00 incl. VAT 21%

Just wondering if it is worth it? I am stuck for money and this seems the sensible option. I'd prefer to keep something internal than external.

Not sure where this should be Mods...In the MODEMS/ROUTERS Sticky?

Any advice? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

well, whats the current offer with your chosen ISP as regarding modems? is it free or not. if its free, i wouldn;t bother going internal, unless thats what you would really prefer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

Well...I use Netsource and have found them excellent despite what some might say. As you know they don't offer a modem with the service.

I mean to be honest my last modem got nicked along with everything else, so I'd prefer to keep the modem inside my new computer.......

I doubt it would be hard to install. And I am on a budget...

I suppose I could always send it back if it doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I have an internal modem.

The problem is that sometimes when the computer crashes, my session stays active on the Eircom side and I'm not allowed log in again when I reboot.

I then have to ring Eircom on their 1550 number to kill my session (which, according to my phone bill costs me about €2 each time). Thats provided it's not the middle of the night and they haven't all gone home.

I find it the worst aspect of i-stream and am seriously considering changing provider as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by BendiBus
    I find it the worst aspect of i-stream and am seriously considering changing provider as a result.

your not serious? eircom is the best Isp. Their tech support are open later than everyone else (not to sure bout Iol but).. other isp's say they have tech support till 7 *cough NS* but are never reachable around that time *cough gone home*

anyway, that’s the risk you take with internal cards, completely rely on the OS. Do yourself a favor and get a router, their much better suited for this kind of thing + your not directly connected to the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

also, if you think you;ll be changing providers at all durin the next few years, an internal modem would be good, as then you won;t ever have to pay for a new one with new ISP

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Internal Modems suffer from an odd bug, well the conexant one I'm using anyway, if one downloads at pretty much full capacity and then puts full load on their cpu the computer will crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

Ok thanks guys for all your replies. I have heard nothing positive so I will buy an external one (again) instead.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Originally posted by ando
    your not serious? eircom is the best Isp. Their tech support are open later than everyone else (not to sure bout Iol but).. other isp's say they have tech support till 7 *cough NS* but are never reachable around that time *cough gone home*

OK, maybe I exaggerated a little. I do think Eircom is pretty good, but I just hate dialling that 1550 number.

But I wouldn't recommend an internal modem for the reason I gave above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

An internal modem will use significantly less processor power than a USB modem. If your clock cycles are precious, go internal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by fatguy
    An internal modem will use significantly less processor power than a USB modem. If your clock cycles are precious, go internal.
    In that case go ethernet. Let the hardware do all the work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement