Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How America botched the occupation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by Sand

They on the other hand are divided - they disagree, but again its not decisive - as to whether the US will keep Iraq unified or remove its troops within a few years. Germany - that hated example - still has US troops inside its borders all these years on so they have grounds for that belief.

|

The US need a plan to both rebuild Iraq and establish democracy. This will take time.

But - It is a pity seeing organisations like the Red Cross being targeted.

There is no quick fix to the Iraqi situation.
    The students up and down Ireland and abroad must be feeling betrayed by the Iraqis lack of bile towards Bush

Nope, why?

Bush is not out in Iraq. It is US troops. It is US taxpayers money that is funding the operation.

I am sure Irish people only hope for a bright future for the Iraqi people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Hey, its got to beat "Were utterly screwed!!!!!" again and again. Critics of the American liberation often do bother with spurious arguments such as "CIA/Latin America/Cold War/Iran" etc etc and they get plenty of airtime - so long as negative examples from throughout history are applicable then logically positive examples must also be admissable?

I think those are two different types of historical comparisons. The litany of 'CIA/Latin America/Cold War' stuff shows that in its foreign adventures the US consistently puts its self-interest far above concern for human rights, justice or the welfare of others.

The German example is arguably (very arguably) an exception to this. But it is really an example of an historically unique situation where loads of circumstances that don't apply to Iraq - international cooperation, truly gigantic sums of money being spent, absence of hoards of maniacal terrorists setting off car-bombs every few days, etc - applied, and combined to produce a happy outcome.

So if you ask me the first kind of comparison is more valid, because it shows a strong consistency through a variety of contexts, than the second, which shows that if Iraq is going to become another Germany the US would have to get a lot more help, pump a lot more money in, somehow remove the threat of terrorism, and it would still be a case of 'cross your fingers and hope for the best'.
    Or maybe as I said at the start, people seem to learn from history what they want to. And if you cant find the right message in the history books you can always revise them.

You're not showing or inspiring much confidence in your own appeals to history there, Sand.
    Yeah thats the one, havent seen the other one before but good to see it now. The general story is that the Iraqis are deeply cynical over the reasons for the American liberation, are worse off in the short term, but are optimistic that they will be better off in the long term.

I'm sure if I lived in Iraq right now I'd hope to be better off in the long term, as the alternative - one big long stay in hell - is not exactly attractive.

Of course the Iraqis are looking forward to a better future. It's just that for people who've been 'liberated' they're not displaying the slavish devotion I'm sure the US were looking forward to.
    The students up and down Ireland and abroad must be feeling betrayed by the Iraqis lack of bile towards Bush:|

You're suggesting maybe that Bush and co should be pleased with how the occupation is going? To me they seem completely taken aback by the level of resistance. But no, you're probably right, I'm sure they factored this and everything else into their extensive pre-war preparations ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Hey, its got to beat "Were utterly screwed!!!!!" again and again. Critics of the American liberation often do bother with spurious arguments such as "CIA/Latin America/Cold War/Iran" etc etc and they get plenty of airtime - so long as negative examples from throughout history are applicable then logically positive examples must also be admissable?

Or maybe as I said at the start, people seem to learn from history what they want to. And if you cant find the right message in the history books you can always revise them.

Yeah thats the one, havent seen the other one before but good to see it now. The general story is that the Iraqis are deeply cynical over the reasons for the American liberation, are worse off in the short term, but are optimistic that they will be better off in the long term.

They are supportive of the Iraqi representive council, and wish to return political control to the Iraqis yesterday if not sooner, but do not wish to see the Americans leave for anything between a year to several years. They believe the US is serious about democratic reform and that the US will allow Iraqis to find their own way. Whilst the model they envision is not decisive they largest bloc of support seems to be for a British/American style democracy. They believe the US is serious about Improving the Iraqis economic prospects.

They on the other hand are divided - they disagree, but again its not decisive - as to whether the US will keep Iraq unified or remove its troops within a few years. Germany - that hated example - still has US troops inside its borders all these years on so they have grounds for that belief.

Like I said though - the general opinion of the Iraqis seems to be fairly positive towards the future and the USs role in rebuilding a democratic Iraq .... where are the "US=Great Satan" crowd getting their belief that the US forces are some great evil? The students up and down Ireland and abroad must be feeling betrayed by the Iraqis lack of bile towards Bush:|

I guess all those roadside bombs, suicide bombs, civilians killed in protests, civilians killed daily at checkpoints, selling off of all state assets ('cept one), invasion for strategic reasons/monetary gain alone, attacks on the CPA headquarters and high officials...were also comparable aspects of the occupation of Germany by America, Russia, France and Great Britian.
    Sorry, forgot about the daily killing of "coalition" troops.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think those are two different types of historical comparisons. The litany of 'CIA/Latin America/Cold War' stuff shows that in its foreign adventures the US consistently puts its self-interest far above concern for human rights, justice or the welfare of others.

Actually I think the CIA type stuff is *less* admissable for want of a better word in the case of Iraq, as it demonstrates how the US has acted to influence other nations at arms reach during the cold war, where it was often competing for influence with those nice lads in the Kremlin - whereas Germany and Japan - both modern fully functioning democracies - are examples of where the US has engaged in its most unloved role....that of a nationbuilder. The US is in pretty much total control in Iraq, its a case of nationbuilding that faces it....not attempting to influence an independant Iraq via its secret services and covert actions.
    international cooperation

Ha!
    truly gigantic sums of money being spent

Rather gigantic sums are being spent in Iraq, and like the Marshall plan there are conditions favourable to US companies being attached.
    absence of hoards of maniacal terrorists setting off car-bombs every few days

The IRA managed to orchestrate a similar campaign with only 800 volunteers, most of whom werent even planting the bombs - hardly hoards. The real advantage the terrorrists/guerrillas have is that their ops dont take many men or much money - something Rumsfeld alluded to in that leaked review. Given the general opinions exspressed by the Iraqis in the polls I dont view the current violence as being truly significant in terms of where Iraq is going - the US may get a new Iraqi army in there to do the fighting and dying instead of Biff and Ted from Iowa but the outcome will remain pretty much the same.
    You're not showing or inspiring much confidence in your own appeals to history there, Sand.

Im appealing to history only to nullify the "Were dooomed - doooooomed!!!!!" cries of others pointing to the past and the present to predict the future - something good old Orwell moaned about as well during WW2. I see nothing in Iraq that is currently a serious threat to the long term vision of Iraq as a free democratic country - the country has problems but were talking about reversing the effects of a dictatorship/cult of personality that lasted for several decades - it aint going to happen next monday. Like the average Iraqi it seems, Im fairly confident that the coalition will succeed in Iraq, hopefully putting the last nail into the coffin of the corrupt UN in the process.
    I'm sure if I lived in Iraq right now I'd hope to be better off in the long term, as the alternative - one big long stay in hell - is not exactly attractive.

Certainly you would hope but the question is not if they would hope - they were asked do they expect their lives to be better than before within 1 year/5 years.

To demonstrate the example If I were to ask you do you hope Fianna Fail become and honest, hard working and effective government you would say "Yes I hope so for the sake of Irish people". Now If I were to say do you expect FF to demonstrate those threats youd probably say something like "pffft!".
    You're suggesting maybe that Bush and co should be pleased with how the occupation is going? To me they seem completely taken aback by the level of resistance. But no, you're probably right, I'm sure they factored this and everything else into their extensive pre-war preparations ...

Theyve no real reason to *that* upset with how its going - the work that remains is jumpstarting the political system and repairing the countries infrastructure. If youre talking about the deaths of coalition troops from enemy action since the end of the war in May then it may surprise you to know that the dead from enemy fire is only slightly higher than those who died in accidents in those 5-6 months. And given the potential rewards of a democratic Iraq its not excessive. When people join milatary forces they accept they will risk their lives serving the national interest as decided by their political leaders.
    were also comparable aspects of the occupation of Germany by America, Russia, France and Great Britian.

Well no, with the open conflict between the two superpowers leading to the likes of the Berlin blockade, the division of Germany into two spheres and the rising threat of WW3 to be fought either conventionally or via nukes hurled across the atmosphere the stakes and the cost of failure were astronomically higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Given the general opinions exspressed by the Iraqis in the polls I dont view the current violence as being truly significant in terms of where Iraq is going

Well - the polls that the US have been conducting have pointed to the fact that support for the resistance is growing.
    A US intelligence official has confirmed to the BBC that a new report by the CIA warns that the Iraq resistance appears to be gathering strength because of a lack of clear progress by the US-led coalition.

The classified document - first reported by the Philadelphia Enquirer newspaper - warns that Iraqis are losing faith in the US-led coalition and are supporting the Iraqi resistance in growing numbers.

link

Theyve no real reason to *that* upset with how its going

Well, fortunantly for the people of Iraq, Bush at least reconises that things are not going well and things do infact need to speeded up, which is why he called Paul Bremer back to the US for urgent talks.

• Advertisement

....not attempting to influence an independant Iraq via its secret services and covert actions.

Er, they've been trying to influence Iraq via their secret services and covert actions for decades. And they're still doing it now, trying to push their main man Ahmed Chalabi (conviction for fraud notwithstanding) as Iraq's future leader. And they'll be doing it for years after Iraq ever gets its own government.
    Ha!

Ha what? There was international cooperation in Germany, as well as international friction between the superpowers. There is hardly any international cooperation over Iraq because the Americans arrogantly dismissed the views of everyone else in the run-up to the war. Course, now they've panicked at the realisation of just how screwed they are and have repeatedly gone begging to anyone for for troops, money, anything at all. Bush suddenly wants the world to share the burden of helping him out of the hole he's dug himself, but it takes time and genuine commitment to rebuild burnt bridges, neither of which he has in abundance.
    Rather gigantic sums are being spent in Iraq, and like the Marshall plan there are conditions favourable to US companies being attached.

Not nearly gigantic enough. Iraq needs $55bn over the next few years. It won't get it.

The IRA managed to orchestrate a similar campaign with only 800 volunteers, most of whom werent even planting the bombs - hardly hoards. The real advantage the terrorrists/guerrillas have is that their ops dont take many men or much money - something Rumsfeld alluded to in that leaked review.

So you're saying there's a few hundred, maybe a thousand Iraqi resistance fighters / terrorists / [insert label of choice here]? Interesting. Because the CIA seems to think there's around 50,000, give or take.

Come on, Sand. Are you really suggesting that the situation in Iraq is anything like Northern Ireland? I don't recall there being dozens of attacks a day in the North, at any stage, nor were car bombs ever going off with quite the regularity we're witnessing at the moment. Did the Brits ever resort to dropping bombs on West Belfast?
    Given the general opinions exspressed by the Iraqis in the polls I dont view the current violence as being truly significant in terms of where Iraq is going - the US may get a new Iraqi army in there to do the fighting and dying instead of Biff and Ted from Iowa but the outcome will remain pretty much the same.

See Ping's post. The violence is getting worse, and Iraqis seem to getting more pessimistic.
    Im appealing to history only to nullify the "Were dooomed - doooooomed!!!!!" cries of others pointing to the past and the present to predict the future

I don't recall every saying "we're doomed", but I do think the US has lost control of the situation in Iraq. You either can't see this or choose to ignore it. That's just irresponsible. It's no fun seeing Iraq get worse and worse, and I just want the US and their cheerleaders to wake up to the fact that if they don't do the mature thing and try to genuinely internationalise the reconstruction the trend is likely to continue.
    Like the average Iraqi it seems, Im fairly confident that the coalition will succeed in Iraq, hopefully putting the last nail into the coffin of the corrupt UN in the process.

Hilarious. Just as you seem unable to get through a post without mentioning your new hero George Orwell, you can't resist taking a pop at the UN. Didn't you just remark on how the US was favouring US corporations in spending its billions in Iraq? But it's still the UN that's corrupt? :rolleyes: Sheer hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Comparing Germany to Iraq is odd. The Germans had the "good sense" to surrender and violence after that time appears to be limited to some specific reprisals (i.e. assassination) against Nazis and the internment of others (one million of whom died due of "other causes" after the war).

Neither Iraq nor the USA have ended the current war.

Well - the polls that the US have been conducting have pointed to the fact that support for the resistance is growing.

Thats a concern alright, but it could be interpreted simply as people seeing the Americans unable to crush the resistance or restore normal daily life and thus throwing their hat in with whoever is able to restore peace/security - they hope anyway. Thats understandable, and should serve as a spur to increase efforts to get vital services back online and secured.
    Er, they've been trying to influence Iraq via their secret services and covert actions for decades.

But why would they need to do it now when they run the country? Surely the clearest similarities now are with Gemany/Japan - not with, say the support of Irans shah?
    Ha what?

East and West Germany, Berlin Blockade, Berlin Wall.

If say the US and UK were to fall out and the US was to suddenly blockade Baghdad and the UK had to mount an incredible effort to keep the city supplied with food and other supplies, if they divided the country into British and US Iraq, set up two different political systems and governments with two different currencies and then built a wall to stop people migrating from one zone to the other - even though they might have family only a mile down the road......

Youd be calling that international co-operation?

:D
    Come on, Sand. Are you really suggesting that the situation in Iraq is anything like Northern Ireland? I don't recall there being dozens of attacks a day in the North, at any stage, nor were car bombs ever going off with quite the regularity we're witnessing at the moment. Did the Brits ever resort to dropping bombs on West Belfast?

Obviously the situation is relative - Northern Ireland has a population of 1.5 million, Iraq 40 million. Relatively, even if there were 50000 activists and sympathisers in Iraq then its not much more than was in Northern Ireland when you accounted for all the activists and sympathisers there. And on the other hand you have 39,950,000 Iraqis give or take a few hundred thousand who arent activists of sympathisers.

And there were days of the multiple bombs in Belfast by the IRA ....Bloody Friday back in the 70s they set off something like 20 bombs all around the clock trying to push the emergency services to their limits. We had British Army deployed in towns and cities across Northern Ireland trying to keep a lid on the killing, we had British Army massacring protestors, we had the British Army unable to move by road in areas of the north for fear of landmines ( something well see in Iraq too I believe except the iraqis have a reliable means to take down US choppers) we had the British Army becoming deeply unpopular with the locals from a position where they welcomed when they helped prevent roving mobs of people burning people out of homes and ethnically cleansing streets. We had Loyalist death squads apparrently recieving assitance from the British government in targeting republicans and republican sympathisers. Hell we had hatred rising to such levels that people justified throwing a hand grenade at a bunch of school children going to school.

Yeah, I find the situation comparable to Northern Ireland - except Northern Ireland was much worse. But again, like the recovery of Germany and Japan it was a cakewalk wasnt it? Nothing to do with the violence in Iraq today.
    I don't recall every saying "we're doomed", but I do think the US has lost control of the situation in Iraq.

Just another way of saying "Dooooooooooomed!!!!"?
    It's no fun seeing Iraq get worse and worse, and I just want the US and their cheerleaders to wake up to the fact that if they don't do the mature thing and try to genuinely internationalise the reconstruction the trend is likely to continue.

Hmmm. Well looking at Germany I dont see internationalising the problem when its an obvious political football as being a great help -a problem shared in this case could be a problem doubled. Also Im curious as to why you feel the Iraqi resistance will respond better to non-US forces when the brave guerilla fighters bombed the headquarters of the oppressive UN in Iraq, killing the UNs chief representitive in the country in the process?
    Hilarious. Just as you seem unable to get through a post without mentioning your new hero George Orwell, you can't resist taking a pop at the UN. Didn't you just remark on how the US was favouring US corporations in spending its billions in Iraq? But it's still the UN that's corrupt? Sheer hypocrisy.

Hey I didnt raise the matter of my sig. Its just a nice articulation of a general theme throughout history. If it disturbs you then great imo.

As for the UN - http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu2/2/chrmem.htm

You wouldnt know whether to laugh or cry would you?

Yeah - lets get those lads in on the decision making, see what insights they can bring.
    Comparing Germany to Iraq is odd. The Germans had the "good sense" to surrender and violence after that time appears to be limited to some specific reprisals (i.e. assassination) against Nazis and the internment of others (one million of whom died due of "other causes" after the war).

They had the good sense after the death of the regime in the personage of Hitler. Up until then the Germans fought on depite the fact the war was quite clearly lost - in taking Aachen the US lost 5000 dead and so did the Germans, indeed the Allied soldiers developed quite a hatred of the German soldiers because they would not surrender even though it was futile - thus leading to soldiers on both sides having to die when the conclusion was already known. The Iraqi situation is similarly futile for the resistance.

As for Japan they were forced to surrender by being nuked, twice with a third bomb on the way - and even as the bombs fell a coup by elements of the Japanese army was planning to take control of the Imperial Palace and force the emperor to continue the fight - thankfully it failed.

The point is that the Allies overcame similarly tough resistance and cultural mindsets before and Ive no reason to doubt theyll do it again.

If say the US and UK were to fall out and the US was to suddenly blockade Baghdad and the UK had to mount an incredible effort to keep the city supplied with food and other supplies, if they divided the country into British and US Iraq, set up two different political systems and governments with two different currencies and then built a wall to stop people migrating from one zone to the other - even though they might have family only a mile down the road......

So in your own words post-war Germany and the still engaged war in Iraq are not good comparisons?

Thats a concern alright, but it could be interpreted simply as people seeing the Americans unable to crush the resistance or restore normal daily life and thus throwing their hat in with whoever is able to restore peace/security - they hope anyway. Thats understandable, and should serve as a spur to increase efforts to get vital services back online and secured.

So despite the situation in Iraq being no worse than a wet week in Northern Ireland, people are so desperate for peace and security that they're transferring their support to a bunch of car-bombers, Baathists, jihad tourists and god knows who else? Blimey! Iraqis' faith in the US must be pretty shakey!

Youd be calling that international co-operation?

Why do you attribute the incredible success of the German reconstruction (West German, I presume) solely to the US, but any problems that came up solely to the baleful presence of other countries? Weren't there three countries running West Germany for several years after WWII? Weren't the Berlin blockade and subsequent division something to do with the conflict between two diametrically opposed superpowers?

If you can point out to me which communist superpower is just waiting for its first chance to seize power in half of Iraq, I'd be grateful. Otherwise enough with the waffle.
    Obviously the situation is relative - Northern Ireland has a population of 1.5 million, Iraq 40 million.

25 million, actually.
    And there were days of the multiple bombs in Belfast by the IRA ....Bloody Friday back in the 70s they set off something like 20 bombs all around the clock trying to push the emergency services to their limits.

One day. There are two dozen attacks on US forces in Iraq every day.
    We had British Army deployed in towns and cities across Northern Ireland trying to keep a lid on the killing, we had British Army massacring protestors, we had the British Army unable to move by road in areas of the north for fear of landmines ( something well see in Iraq too I believe except the iraqis have a reliable means to take down US choppers) we had the British Army becoming deeply unpopular with the locals from a position where they welcomed when they helped prevent roving mobs of people burning people out of homes and ethnically cleansing streets. We had Loyalist death squads apparrently recieving assitance from the British government in targeting republicans and republican sympathisers. Hell we had hatred rising to such levels that people justified throwing a hand grenade at a bunch of school children going to school.

I don't think the British ever resorted to bombarding Northern Irish towns, did they?
    Yeah, I find the situation comparable to Northern Ireland - except Northern Ireland was much worse.

Seeing as you're basing this not on an accurate grasp of the facts (see above), what exactly are you basing it on? Your intimate experience of both settings? Or simple wishful thinking?
    Also Im curious as to why you feel the Iraqi resistance will respond better to non-US forces when the brave guerilla fighters bombed the headquarters of the oppressive UN in Iraq, killing the UNs chief representitive in the country in the process?

It's impossible to know for sure, but I think it's likely the UN were attacked because they were viewed as tools of the US occuppiers. As long as the US hangs onto total military command in Iraq everybody else will be viewed the same way. But I wouldn't dare assume that everything would be fine and dandy if the reconstruction was properly internationalised. No doubt you would instantly decide that Iraq was a violent hellhole crying out for American help, just to be consistent.

By definition, any world body will have undesirable members. That does not mean it's irredeemably evil. Just because there's scumbags on the Human Rights Committee or some bastards keep vetoing Security Council resolutions condemning Israel's terrorism in Palestine does not mean that the UN cannot do a good job. See East Timor, for example (note that I am not saying the situation in Iraq is the same as that in East Timor).

If you've got a better idea for an all-inclusive world forum of nations, I'd like to see it. Or perhaps you'd prefer a simple 'do as America says' rule for all?

• Advertisement

So in your own words post-war Germany and the still engaged war in Iraq are not good comparisons?

Oh I think theyre good comparisons - Im just making the point that Germany had its problems and so does Iraq. Germany was a success and I see no reason why Iraq wont be. If the comparison I made demonstrates anything its that things arent as bad in Iraq as they were in Germany - or as they could be.
    So despite the situation in Iraq being no worse than a wet week in Northern Ireland, people are so desperate for peace and security that they're transferring their support to a bunch of car-bombers, Baathists, jihad tourists and god knows who else? Blimey! Iraqis' faith in the US must be pretty shakey!

Change a few faction names and youve got Northern Ireland - who is the law in large swathes of Belfast and the North, who carries out the punishment beatings and in doing so maintains their own brand of law and order, who reports them to the police? who refuses to recognise the police and other institutions as being a viable option? Where did their support come from? Hell its likely that when the elections come that Iraqis will vote for their political representitives, over here we seem to have no problem with electing murderers - mind you they say theyll get things done right, so long as they make the trains run on time.
    Why do you attribute the incredible success of the German reconstruction (West German, I presume) solely to the US, but any problems that came up solely to the baleful presence of other countries? Weren't there three countries running West Germany for several years after WWII? Weren't the Berlin blockade and subsequent division something to do with the conflict between two diametrically opposed superpowers?

Well you had the US and Britain - who are in Iraq today ( another similarity - cheers ) and then you had France, who were given an occupation zone over the protests of the Soviets because they were defeated by the Nazis - Britiain and the US had to cede a zone to France cos the Soviets refused point blank to give them the time of day:|

Now France isnt in Iraq, and were all heartbroken over that but youre still down to a small coalition running the show rather than the UN or some "design by committee" bunch wholl just love playing political football with every decision.
    25 million, actually.

I stand corrected - thats still approximately, what 16-17 times Northern Irelands population?
    One day. There are two dozen attacks on US forces in Iraq every day.

So if we were to exspress that relatively youre talking about 1.4 attacks per day throughout all of Iraq in comparison to Northern Ireland. Forgive me if Im not totally impressed.
    I don't think the British ever resorted to bombarding Northern Irish towns, did they?

And? The British didnt have to cover such a wide spread of terrain with a couple of hundred thousand troops - using airpower makes sense in that case.
    Seeing as you're basing this not on an accurate grasp of the facts (see above), what exactly are you basing it on? Your intimate experience of both settings? Or simple wishful thinking?

I gave my reasons. If you dont agree then fine - no point in me saying them again in a slightly different way is there? When the hatred reaches the levels of them happily throwing exsplosives at children to make a political point then Ill concede its as bad as Northern Ireland.
    Or simple wishful thinking?

Spreaking of wishful thinking
    It's impossible to know for sure,

Ah good old wishful thinking ahead.....
    but I think it's likely the UN were attacked because they were viewed as tools of the US occuppiers. As long as the US hangs onto total military command in Iraq everybody else will be viewed the same way. But I wouldn't dare assume that everything would be fine and dandy if the reconstruction was properly internationalised.

No I dont think so - Given the rumoured makeup of the resistance - Old regime diehards and Islamic fundamentalists - I dont think they give a flying **** whose taken the power they view as rightfully theirs or is not turning Iraq into a fundamentalist state. The idea that theyll suddenly fall into line with the UN is laughable. I think the UN was attacked because its a symbol of the West - remeber who was enforcing the sanctions on Iraq....thats right, the UN.. And no, you cant say its the USs fault, because if the UN is going to claim a right to leadership then its going to have to carry the can as well - all decisions regarding the sanctions were made by the UN werent they?

So it is wishful thinking to think if the UN show up everything will be just fine. You know it wont be either - so whats the point of bringing the UN in ....oh thats right, to try and prove a political point - bring on the football.
    No doubt you would instantly decide that Iraq was a violent hellhole crying out for American help, just to be consistent

No doubt youd be saying It wasnt as bad as I was making out and that the UN had a proven track record of nationbuilding (Ha!). Just to be consistent.
    If you've got a better idea for an all-inclusive world forum of nations, I'd like to see it. Or perhaps you'd prefer a simple 'do as America says' rule for all?

Oh Id love to see a world body that didnt spit on the very institutions it claimed to protect by giving manifestos to laughably ironic members. Maybe if you had some sort of standards set on membership, beyond not being the US or not being Israel. Hell lets see what Amnesty International has to say about one of the governments the UN feels able to provide insights on human rights......

Well lets see , government forces machinegunning villages, villages burnt so as to leave people homeless, humanitarian workers kept away for two months - this is something Israel is slated for, but these guys are on the Human rights council so I guess they get an exemption or something - malnutrition and starvation seemingly used as a weapon, hundreds of women raped - by the government forces, plenty of young men who have been "dissapeared", refugees apparently massacred and of course political prisoners.

These are the people who are given power by the UN. Now I know the US aint perfect, and I know Britain aint perfect, and I know Italy and the other "willing" nations aint perfect but no way in hell should the moral high ground be ceded to the UN when they represent such contempt for principles they claim to hold dear to their heart. No thank you, if thats internationalism then its not going to help things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Redleslie

Oh I think theyre good comparisons - Im just making the point that Germany had its problems and so does Iraq.

No it's a terrible comparison that conveniently ignores the historical cultural and political links between the US and Germany. They both had the white anglo-saxon protestant thing going on for a start. America had its own ideas about racial purity and segregation at that time too.
    "In April 1944 Corp. Rupert Timmingham wrote Yank magazine. "Here is a question that each Negro soldier is asking," he began. "What is the Negro soldier fighting for? On whose team are we playing?" He recounted the difficulties he and eight other black soldiers had while traveling through the South -- "where Old Jim Crow rules" -- for a new assignment. "We could not purchase a cup of coffee," Timmingham noted. Finally the lunchroom manager at a Texas railroad depot said the black GIs could go on around back to the kitchen for a sandwich and coffee. As they did, "about two dozen German prisoners of war, with two American guards, came to the station. They entered the lunchroom, sat at the tables, had their meals served, talked, smoked, in fact had quite a swell time. I stood on the outside looking on, and I could not help but ask myself why are they treated better than we are? Why are we pushed around like cattle? If we are fighting for the same thing, if we are to die for our country, then why does the Government allow such things to go on? Some of the boys are saying that you will not print this letter. I'm saying that you will."

http://www.worldwar2history.info/Army/Jim-Crow.html
    A better comparison might be France's occupation of Algeria, except France was probably more successful there than the US might be in Iraq.
    Change a few faction names and youve got Northern Ireland -

This is not a good comparison either. Who's who? Who's Iraq's Ian Paisley? Are the IRA the equivalent of saddam loyalists? Or do we go back to the 60's when the north was a not very democratic kind of place run by the protestants? That would make the IRA the freedom fighters and the loyalists paramilitaries/british army the evil ba'athists then would it? Or were the Shankill butchers and Brian Nelsons and the forces of the crown the good guys or what? :confused:
    So if we were to exspress that relatively youre talking about 1.4 attacks per day throughout all of Iraq in comparison to Northern Ireland. Forgive me if Im not totally impressed.

I dunno how you're working this out but there weren't attacks (from the baddies the IRA?) every day in northern Ireland. Even if you combine attacks from both sides and include non-fatal attacks. So it's an entirely misleading comparison.

If you're such a big fan of George Orwell then you'll appreciate this quote from The Lion And The Unicorn which could be applied to both the US and Iraq:

"One cannot see the modern world as it is unless one recognizes the overwhelming strength of patriotism, national loyalty. In certain circumstances it can break down, at certain levels of civilization it does not exist, but as a positive force there is nothing to set beside it. Christianity and international Socialism are as weak as straw in comparison with it. Hitler and Mussolini rose to power in their own countries very largely because they could grasp this fact and their opponents could not."

No it's a terrible comparison that conveniently ignores the historical cultural and political links between the US and Germany.

I dont think the weak links that existed had any real effect on the rebuilding of Germany when the US elite has been primarily Anglo-Saxon (i.e British descent, not German as you seem to believe with the WASP comment ) ) and the strongest immigrant identities are Irish and Italians and Africans, Germans dont even register despite their numbers. Hell, Germany didnt even exist when the mass of emigration from its territory to the US occurred and the US didnt speak the same language, the US sided twice against Germany in favour of the French and the British and up until WW1 the US was engaged in its own splendid isolation, a brief break during and immediately after the war, prior to sinking back into isolationism and protectionism up until the second world war - the greatest link Germany and the US shared was maybe Marlene Deitrich. Somehow I wouldnt describe that as a key issue in the rebuilding of Germany - in the immediate post war years the Allies after all undertook a campaign to permantly weaken Germany by crippling her industrial base, only the outbreak of the Cold War and the need for a strong German bulwark against the Soviet hordes in the east led to a reversal of that policy.

Its a real stretch to describe the US and 1940s Germany as going way back.....
    A better comparison might be France's occupation of Algeria, except France was probably more successful there than the US might be in Iraq.

No that would be a worse comparison because the French had 1 million french citizens living in algeria at the time, who werent prepared to leave - leading to a spate of assassination attempts by French-Algerian settlers/citizens against any French political leader who discussed simply pulling out of Algeria - see De Gaulle. This is not a factor in Iraq.

Also it was Frances initial strategy to retain Algeria as part of its territory as Algeria was a part of France proper at that time - not just another colony like French Indo-China. The Americans do not wish to retain and garrison and rule Iraq as the 51st state and up the senate by two to represent the Iraqis.....their objectives seem to be to set up a friendly Iraqi government that is a ally in the region and will keep the oil flowing.

So no, in my eyes its a bad comparison. Germanys a closer example as again the Americans did not annex Germany as part of the US.
    This is not a good comparison either. Who's who? Who's Iraq's Ian Paisley?

You mean who in Iraq is the fundamentalist religious leader, painting the enemy as godless heathens and foreign usurpers who must be resisted and that all who deal with them are traitors? Theres a limit to how much you can fit in one post:|

The point which seems to have gone flying over your head was that people in situations where the forces of law and order seem to be ineffective will turn to other factions seeking security and leadership that the "recognised" institutions cant seem to provide.

Thats where the IRA and the Loyalists got their support, and its where the Iraqi resistance are getting their support - for as long as the coalition are seen to be unable to defeat the resistance, there will be those willing to throw their hat in with the resistance - especially when its so easy, as in northern Ireland, to paint the IRA/Loyalists as the good guys fighting a desperate war to protect their people from the foreigners - be they Fenians or Brits.

Substitute IRA/Loyalists for the regime/fundamentalist resistance and the coalition for the foreigners in this particular case. The resistance arent nice guys, but then neither were the IRA and Gerry Adams is still milking the knee jerk tribalism they exploited.
    I dunno how you're working this out but there weren't attacks (from the baddies the IRA?) every day in northern Ireland. Even if you combine attacks from both sides and include non-fatal attacks. So it's an entirely misleading comparison.

Relative..... seeing as Iraq has 17 times the population of N.I. its not surprising that the absolute number of resistance is greater than the absolute number of terrorists in N.I. - in fact it stands to reason. Now whilst the regime/fundamentalists are attacking the coalition forces up to 25 times a day in absolute terms if you were to convert that to N.I. terms, to see how relatively bad it is compared to N.I. youre talking about 1.4 terrorist attacks per day.

Comparisons in absolute terms is usually less helpful than comparisons in relative terms. Now if you were to simply say there are estimated to be 50000 resitiance sympathisers and fighters in Iraq and there were 800 IRA members hence the situation is miles worse or that the resistance enjoys popular support, and never stop to consider the fact that the populations of Northern Ireland and Iraq are wildly different, or that the membership of the IRA was merely one faction of many in the north, then you are painting a misleading picture.
    If you're such a big fan of George Orwell then you'll appreciate this quote from The Lion And The Unicorn which could be applied to both the US and Iraq:

Yes it could, but maybe not in the way you think - Orwell is describing the power of patriotic feeling, tribalism, us and them - whilst he mentions Mussonlini and Hitler there, if you look at my sig then youll have to ask yourself what helped give the British the determination to continue the fight against the Nazis when they were on their own against a seemingly unbeatable foe? Their educated classes? Pffft - they were no doubt brushing up on German lessons, it was that base tribalism again - the British against the huns.

What motivated the Russians to fight so hard against the Germans - love for Stalin or the communist system which murdered millions of them and kept millions more in gulags? Or that ugly patriotic tribalism again?

Whilst patriotism has been exploited for as many evil ends as good, it is nothing more than fact of life that can be manipulated by any and all politicians to accomplish their goals. It doesnt make patriotism a vile thing as you imply. I could argue that because Bush and Blair might call up upon patriotic fervour they can be compared to the efforts the British and the Russians made against another fundamental evil.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Its sad how people never learn from history, and reject out of hand its lessons when they dont fit in with their own views.

It really is - one would think that the UK would know better then to use massive force fighting terrorist armies. Well, some will never learn.

I dont think the weak links that existed had any real effect on the rebuilding of Germany when the US elite has been primarily Anglo-Saxon (i.e British descent, not German as you seem to believe with the WASP comment ) ) and the strongest immigrant identities are Irish and Italians and Africans, Germans dont even register despite their numbers.

And where did the Saxons come from? And where did protestantism originate? And how many non-protestant presidents of the USA have there been? I don't know which pub drunk told you that "germans don't even register" in America but you're a little bit out there according to the 1990 US census and this chronology of Germans in America.

The Top Fifteen Ancestry Groups
    as reported in the 1990 census:
    (numbers have been rounded)

German 23% 58 million
    Irish 16% 39 million
    English 13% 33 million
    Afro-American 10% 24 million
    Italian 6% 15 million
    American 5% 12 million
    Mexican 5% 12 million
    French 4% 10 million
    Polish 4% 9 million
    American Indian 4% 9 million
    Dutch 3% 6 million
    Scotch-Irish 2% 6 million
    Scottish 2% 5 million
    Swedish 2% 5 million
    Norwegian 2% 4 million
    Hell, Germany didnt even exist when the mass of emigration from its territory to the US occurred and the US didnt speak the same language,

Nope, Germany, or Germania as the Romans used to call it, has been around for quite a while. As for language, it's merely one aspect of culture, religion is another. In the west there's been a tradition of enmity between jews, catholics and protestants even when they do share a common language.
    Its a real stretch to describe the US and 1940s Germany as going way back.....

While Germans have been in America since 1608, the 'thousand year" reich lasted only 12 years, not really long enough to alter the relationship between the two countries. I've already pointed out that blacks had to suffer institutionalised racism, segregation and discrimination in the 1940's, which lasted until long after the 1940's of course. As bad as the Nuremberg Laws? You decide.
    No that would be a worse comparison because the French had 1 million french citizens living in algeria at the time, who werent prepared to leave - leading to a spate of assassination attempts by French-Algerian settlers/citizens against any French political leader who discussed simply pulling out of Algeria - see De Gaulle.This is not a factor in Iraq.
    There were 1 million French citizens in Algeria because they successfully invaded the country. The invasion was successful because it was brutal. General Bugeaud, the commander of the invasion forces, wrote at the time, “we have burnt a great deal and destroyed a great deal. It may be that I shall be called a barbarian, but as I have the conviction that I have done something useful for my country, I consider myself as above the reproaches of the press.” Sounds sort of familiar, but unless the US and Britain go in for full scale massacres, displacement and large scale internment then personally I don't see them having even a chance of being successful. But then again even massacres in places like Vietnam couldn't eliminate nationalist opposition.

The pretext for the invasion of Algerian was not as pathetic as the one used by Bush and Blair to invade Iraq though. The local ruler of Algiers hit the French consul with his flyswatter, something to do with debts, and wouldn't apologise.
    The Americans do not wish to retain and garrison and rule Iraq as the 51st state and up the senate by two to represent the Iraqis.....their objectives seem to be to set up a friendly Iraqi government that is a ally in the region and will keep the oil flowing.

Yes that's what they want, but I'm afraid that they're deluding themselves and ignoring the existence of pan-arab nationalism.
    Thats where the IRA and the Loyalists got their support, and its where the Iraqi resistance are getting their support - for as long as the coalition are seen to be unable to defeat the resistance, there will be those willing to throw their hat in with the resistance - especially when its so easy, as in northern Ireland, to paint the IRA/Loyalists as the good guys fighting a desperate war to protect their people from the foreigners - be they Fenians or Brits. Substitute IRA/Loyalists for the regime/fundamentalist resistance and the coalition for the foreigners in this particular case.

The loyalists and the army and police were on the same side, I don't see the point in pretending that they weren't. The IRA/pan nationalist front were not "the regime" in northern Ireland as you're probably well aware. The regime, a protestant fundamentalist regime, was controlled by the unionist population, backed unfailingly by the British government until only recently.
    Relative..... seeing as Iraq has 17 times the population of N.I. its not surprising that the absolute number of resistance is greater than the absolute number of terrorists in N.I. - in fact it stands to reason. Now whilst the regime/fundamentalists are attacking the coalition forces up to 25 times a day in absolute terms if you were to convert that to N.I. terms, to see how relatively bad it is compared to N.I. youre talking about 1.4 terrorist attacks per day.

I'd prefer not to pursue this sort of reasoning if you don't mind. It makes absolutely no sense and is entirely irrelevant in any case. :confused:
    Comparisons in absolute terms is usually less helpful than comparisons in relative terms. Now if you were to simply say there are estimated to be 50000 resitiance sympathisers and fighters in Iraq and there were 800 IRA members hence the situation is miles worse or that the resistance enjoys popular support, and never stop to consider the fact that the populations of Northern Ireland and Iraq are wildly different, or that the membership of the IRA was merely one faction of many in the north, then you are painting a misleading picture.

So in other words the IRA were the Ba'athists and religious fundamentalist crackpots of northern Ireland who were trying to hold onto power (!?) and/or turn the place into a catholic fundamentalist state and the loyalist paramilitaries/RUC/British army were the good guys who were only trying to bring about democracy, civil rights and equal opportunity. That's that clarified then.
    Yes it could, but maybe not in the way you think - Orwell is describing the power of patriotic feeling, tribalism, us and them -

"Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." Mr.Bush said. Sounds pretty tribal and fundamentalist to me.
    whilst he mentions Mussonlini and Hitler there, if you look at my sig then youll have to ask yourself what helped give the British the determination to continue the fight against the Nazis when they were on their own against a seemingly unbeatable foe?

Possibly some of the same nationalism stuff that's making some Iraqis fight against their occupiers. I don't like seeing them dismissed as fanatics and remnants of the old regime and whatnot until we know what their makeup is and what sections of the population are supporting them.
    Their educated classes? Pffft - they were no doubt brushing up on German lessons, it was that base tribalism again - the British against the huns.

There's a difference between being defeatist and being proactively pro nazi as quite a bunch of british royals and well-to-do were at the time. By the way the british royal family are huns for crissakes, since 1714. They changed their name from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor in 1917.
    What motivated the Russians to fight so hard against the Germans - love for Stalin or the communist system which murdered millions of them and kept millions more in gulags? Or that ugly patriotic tribalism again?
    But we're told that Iraqi resistance can only be a bunch of Saddam's thugs or crazies.
    Whilst patriotism has been exploited for as many evil ends as good, it is nothing more than fact of life that can be manipulated by any and all politicians to accomplish their goals. It doesnt make patriotism a vile thing as you imply. I could argue that because Bush and Blair might call up upon patriotic fervour they can be compared to the efforts the British and the Russians made against another fundamental evil.
    I don't imply that patriotism is a vile thing at all. I'm merely pointing out that Iraqi resistance may be being drawn from the idea that nobody likes having their country invaded. Your hero Orwell said, 'Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. Both words are normally used in so vague a way that any definition is liable to be challenged, but one must draw a distinction between them, since two different and even opposing ideas are involved. By "patriotism" I mean devotion to a particular place and a particular way of life, which one believes to be the best in the world but has no wish to force on other people. Patriotism is of its nature defensive, both militarily and culturally. Nationalism, on the other hand, is inseperable from the desire for power. The abiding purpose of every nationalist is to secure more power and more prestige, not for himself but for the nation or other unit in which he has chosen to sink his own individuality.'

And where did the Saxons come from? And where did protestantism originate? And how many non-protestant presidents of the USA have there been?

Your argument is with www.dictionary.com , not me.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=W.A.S.P.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Anglo-Saxon

I don't know which pub drunk told you that "germans don't even register" in America but you're a little bit out there according to the 1990 US census

Im not your English teacher. Read what I said again.
    Nope, Germany, or Germania as the Romans used to call it, has been around for quite a while.

Im not your history teacher either - Look up Bismark, the various German confederations throughout the mid 19th century and the Franco-Prussian War.

There were 1 million French citizens in Algeria because they successfully invaded the country.

No, they successfully colonised Algeria. Invasion != Colonisation, no matter what angry arts students will have you believe.
    Sounds sort of familiar, but unless the US and Britain go in for full scale massacres, displacement and large scale internment then personally I don't see them having even a chance of being successful.

Im not surprised you view the above as being successful, if reprehensible, strategy despite their utter failure in the case you provided.
    I'd prefer not to pursue this sort of reasoning if you don't mind. It makes absolutely no sense and is entirely irrelevant in any case.

Its okay, Im not your maths teacher either. When he feels youre ready hell introduce the concepts of absolute and relative.
    So in other words the IRA were the Ba'athists and religious fundamentalist crackpots of northern Ireland who were trying to hold onto power (!?) and/or turn the place into a catholic fundamentalist state and the loyalist paramilitaries/RUC/British army were the good guys who were only trying to bring about democracy, civil rights and equal opportunity. That's that clarified then.

No in other words your missing the forest for the trees. But like I said Im not your english teacher, read what I said again.
    But we're told that Iraqi resistance can only be a bunch of Saddam's thugs or crazies.

Thats the accepted opinion alright - they certainly have cause to hate the new Iraq. Actually calling it the Iraqi resistance may even be misleading, as the goals of the resistance may not be widely shared by Iraqis or motivated by Iraqi needs. The resistance is apparently staffed by foreign arab fighters and regime diehards, and thus probably even less representitive of Iraqi opinion than the IRA was or is of Irish.

It certainly fits with the impression being created by polls in Iraq that the Iraqis arent zealous Democrat voters as no doubt some hoped. It also fits with the fact that there is a so called Sunni Triangle, part of Iraq from between Baghdad and Tikrit in which 80% of the attacks against the coalition occur - makes you think the resistance is localised and limited mostly to Sunni regions doesnt it? That most of Iraq is relatively peaceful?

It is however critical that the coalition ensure that the resistance do not gain widespread support - that the resistance suddenly become seen as fighting for Iraqis rather than fighting for Sunni dominance in Iraq or Wahabbi fundamentalism in Iraq. It is a battle for hearts and minds, and if Iraqis continue to be frustrated by failings on the part of the coalition forces and administration there is the danger they will increasingly turn to the resistance - much as Irish frustration against the political status quo in Ireland is leading to increasing support for the likes of Sinn Fein.
    By "patriotism" I mean devotion to a particular place and a particular way of life, which one believes to be the best in the world but has no wish to force on other people. Patriotism is of its nature defensive, both militarily and culturally. Nationalism, on the other hand, is inseperable from the desire for power.

And what sparked the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq and led to the US generally flexing its muscle across the globe? 9/11, an attack on the US mainland which it could be argued led to great shows of patriotism by the US, encouraged by the view that the U.S. was under attack and had to be defeneded.

Thats the accepted opinion alright - they certainly have cause to hate the new Iraq. Actually calling it the Iraqi resistance may even be misleading, as the goals of the resistance may not be widely shared by Iraqis or motivated by Iraqi needs. The resistance is apparently staffed by foreign arab fighters and regime diehards, and thus probably even less representitive of Iraqi opinion than the IRA was or is of Irish.

When the "resistance" or "foreignors" or "terrorists" can attack at will and very little cooperation is received by the Iraqi population, as well as US commanders commenting on no real evidence of foreign fighters... (and they've descended into Israeli tactics of bulldozing) it seems that the "accepted" opinion is probably just knee-jerk speculation.
    The CIA even admits that it's intelligence on the resistance is terrible, while the resistance on the "coalition" is effective.
    It's hard to say where the resistance lies, but it obviously (at the very least) enjoys apathy from the general population.
    It also fits with the fact that there is a so called Sunni Triangle, part of Iraq from between Baghdad and Tikrit in which 80% of the attacks against the coalition occur - makes you think the resistance is localised and limited mostly to Sunni regions doesnt it?

Not really considering the increased attacks in Mosul and in the mostly Kurdish areas as well as just about every pary of Iraq.
    That most of Iraq is relatively peaceful?

Is this sarcasm? Sorry I know we Americans' lack a sense of it.
    It is however critical that the coalition ensure that the resistance do not gain widespread support - that the resistance suddenly become seen as fighting for Iraqis rather than fighting for Sunni dominance in Iraq or Wahabbi fundamentalism in Iraq.

That assumes that they aren't fighting for Iraqi's or that different groups haven't joined together in an aim to force out the occupiers and undermine anyone that does cooperate with them.
    It is a battle for hearts and minds, and if Iraqis continue to be frustrated by failings on the part of the coalition forces and administration there is the danger they will increasingly turn to the resistance -

This assumes that the "coalition" had altruistic motives for invasion in the first place, which most evidence shows isn't the case. Most Iraqis probably don't think so either, but some might be waiting to see if life might get better anyway.
    And what sparked the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq and led to the US generally flexing its muscle across the globe? 9/11, an attack on the US mainland which it could be argued led to great shows of patriotism by the US, encouraged by the view that the U.S. was under attack and had to be defeneded.

Considering the recent history prior to 9/11 that argument has scant evidence to support it.
    Not sure what your point is unless you wanted to support the notion that Iraqi resistance is patriotic whilst the American invasions are nationalistic.

"A member of one of the Germanic peoples, the Angles, the Saxons, and the Jutes, who settled in Britain in the fifth and sixth centuries."

White protestant Americans and English are basically Germanic peoples. Is that clear enough for you? A cursory look at Iraqis reveals that they are muslim and dark therefore there's no cultural similarity or valid comparison. None. But go ahead and knock yourself out, delude yourself that Iraqis and muslims in general are basically dark skinned Germans.
    Im not your English teacher. Read what I said again.

I did. I had to read it twice in fact because it doesn't make any sense. The dominant ethnic group in America, a quarter of the country's population, "doesn't even register", according to your research. You're saying that John Jacob Astor, J.D Rockefeller, Kurt Vonnegut, Dwicght d Eisenhower, Babe Ruth, Thomas Nast and Albert Einstein amongst others "didn't register". Is that right? I must have imagined seeing the Rockefeller centre when I was in New York. A few of the signatories of PNAC's statement of principles seem to have German sounding names, Donald Rumsfeld, Vin Weber, George Weigel, Gary Bauer, Midge Decter, Aaron Friedberg, Paul Wolfowitz and there's a few I'm not sure about. And how did words like kindergarten, frankfurter, hamburger, wiener (hur hur), bratwurst, and my favourite, pretzel, manage to find their way into common usage in America if it hadn't been for Germans? I trust you had a look at that chronology.
    Im not your history teacher either - Look up Bismark, the various German confederations throughout the mid 19th century and the Franco-Prussian War.
    So everyone lied on the census form then. Ok.
    No, they successfully colonised Algeria. Invasion != Colonisation, no matter what angry arts students will have you believe.
    I'm not claiming it's a perfect comparison, merely better than the ridiculous ones you're citing. Just about everythng in Iraq is being privatised so no matter what The Sun tells you to think, ;) it's colonialism dressed up as "liberation".
    Im not surprised you view the above as being successful, if reprehensible, strategy despite their utter failure in the case you provided.
    The feeling I get is that some elements in the US administration and military would like to really take the gloves off and shock the Iraqis into submission. Domestic public opinion probably wouldn't stand for it though.
    Its okay, Im not your maths teacher either. When he feels youre ready hell introduce the concepts of absolute and relative.
    There's no credible comparison between northern Ireland and Iraq. Using some half-arsed method to compare the rate of attacks won't create one.
    No in other words your missing the forest for the trees. But like I said Im not your english teacher, read what I said again.

You said "Change a few faction names and youve got Northern Ireland." Quit waffling and tell us how you came to this bizarre conclusion, and who's supposed to be who.
    The resistance is apparently staffed by foreign arab fighters and regime diehards, and thus probably even less representitive of Iraqi opinion than the IRA was or is of Irish.

It's certainly convenient to label them all as regime diehards or jihad tourists but nobody seems to have a clue how many groups there are or what their aims are. But I'm arguing that straightforward patriotism and the distrust of foreign invaders, especially those of different race and religion figures as part of the motivation amongst at least some fighters.
    It certainly fits with the impression being created by polls in Iraq that the Iraqis arent zealous Democrat voters as no doubt some hoped. It also fits with the fact that there is a so called Sunni Triangle, part of Iraq from between Baghdad and Tikrit in which 80% of the attacks against the coalition occur - makes you think the resistance is localised and limited mostly to Sunni regions doesnt it? That most of Iraq is relatively peaceful?

Cool. Sunni arse should be given an almighty booting then. Get the shiites and whatnot on board, and tool them up. Stir up ethnic rivalries and divide and conquer. Like what the Brits were excellent at. That's the ticket.
    It is however critical that the coalition ensure that the resistance do not gain widespread support - that the resistance suddenly become seen as fighting for Iraqis rather than fighting for Sunni dominance in Iraq or Wahabbi fundamentalism in Iraq. It is a battle for hearts and minds, and if Iraqis continue to be frustrated by failings on the part of the coalition forces and administration there is the danger they will increasingly turn to the resistance - much as Irish frustration against the political status quo in Ireland is leading to increasing support for the likes of Sinn Fein.

Hearts and minds is such a silly meaningless phrase. I can't believe people still use it. What's it mean?
    You know as well as I do that neither the Taliban nor Saddam had anything to do with 9/11 and the destruction of their respective regimes has not made America or anywhere else any less vulnerable to attack. It did offer the neocons an opportunity to stir up some ugly nationalistic feelings amongst Americans though. I understand it though. When I was a teenager in the 80's I remember feeling fiercely nationalist and sectarian everytime there was something like the Gibraltar killings or Milltown cemetery attacks or whatever. Some people grow out of it, some don't and get sucked further in. But now, I despise the way Sinn Fein wave the tricolour about as if to claim a monopoly on Irishness just as many Americans despise the way their patriotism is called into question if they don't support their government's wars unconditionally.

When the "resistance" or "foreignors" or "terrorists" can attack at will and very little cooperation is received by the Iraqi population, as well as US commanders commenting on no real evidence of foreign fighters... (and they've descended into Israeli tactics of bulldozing) it seems that the "accepted" opinion is probably just knee-jerk speculation.

The resistance appears to have been targeting Iraqis who co-operate with the coalition forces or work with them just as much as the coalition forces themselves. It is a effective tactic to prevent the coalition forces from gaining the trust of the local Iraqis - if anyone who informs on the resistance or who works with the coalition runs the risk of dissapearing in the night then youll find very little co-operation and that the resistance will be able to attack at will. Who would dare inform on them? Who would dare be seen with the coalition if it endangered their very lives?

As for the foreign fighters it seems that a lot of young muslim fundamentalist types have left their communities across Europe and the intelligence forces are unable to account for them surprise surprise. Along with an upsurge in suicide bombings which was not a hallmark of Saddams forces, it seems reasonable to suggest theyre in Iraq.
    Not really considering the increased attacks in Mosul and in the mostly Kurdish areas as well as just about every pary of Iraq.

80% of the attacks occur in the Sunni Triangle and you think its fair to describe the resistance as popular across all of Iraq? I think its fair to say its localised, otherwise there wouldnt be that sort of concentration of attacks in a particular region would there?

Of course that doesnt fit with the "Doooooooooooooomed" thesis but hey.

That assumes that they aren't fighting for Iraqi's or that different groups haven't joined together in an aim to force out the occupiers and undermine anyone that does cooperate with them.

They dont seem to represent the opinions of Iraqis as exspressed in polls though - you dont need an army to run a guerilla campaign, its not hard to bomb the UN or the Red Cross afterall but dont you think if they were fighting for Iraqis there would be some reflection of their views in the polls - only 13% wanted the coalition gone right now last i heard.
    This assumes that the "coalition" had altruistic motives for invasion in the first place, which most evidence shows isn't the case. Most Iraqis probably don't think so either, but some might be waiting to see if life might get better anyway.

It assumes that there are half way intelligent people somewhere within the coalition decision making process. Even if they wanted to suck Iraq dry of oil and leave its rotting carcass in the sun, they dont want their troops dying in a foreign land in an election year - hence you would assume they would make every effort to keep the Iraqis sweet.
    Considering the recent history prior to 9/11 that argument has scant evidence to support it.

Merely making the point that whilst some might say the US is nationalistic, its just as easy to argue its patriotic - My point doesnt require you to agree with an example, I didnt even raise the issue in the first place, patriotism/nationalism/whatever the hell you want to call it is a tool, used by others for good or ill ends. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Redleslie
    Hearts and minds is such a silly meaningless phrase. I can't believe people still use it. What's it mean?
    No, it's not silly. In South Lebanon, Irish troops openly fraternised with the locals (but not the militias). They bought food from their shops and drank coffee in their cafés. They helped with the schools, hospitals and orphanages. Why? Because it meant the locals were then less tolerant of the militias who wouldn't then be able to kill UN soldiers with impunity. Any militia needs the support of the local population to operate.

Israel often condemned this fraternisation as being one sided and to a degree it was - as was mandated by the UN. That said the Israelis appreciated when the Irish .50 calibre machines guns would open fire whenever anyone's trip flares (a rocket flare attached to a trip wire that would illuminate a large area at night) went off. This stopped militias from trying to use the cover of darkness to stage attacks.

Paying “blood money” for people killed by UN forces prevented feuds erupting that in the early days, led to UN (including Irish) soldiers being killed in retaliation.

The problem with the Americans is they are trying to win hearts and minds, while still pointing guns (the order is “at all times”) at civilians, having male soldiers search female civilians, and engaging in disrespect and maltreatment (e.g. placing the shoes of civilians on their head while interrogating them at checkpoints). Soldiers aren’t allowed spend any money locally (although specific purchasing officers are allowed buy local produce). Because the Americans (other than the Marines) haven't invested in wheeled APCs, they are either driving around in armoured tracked vehicles (M1, M2/3, M113), everyone is annoyed as the tracks tear up local roads. The result is the guerrillas are targeting the ubiquitous lightly protected Humvee jeeps and trucks.

The attack at the weekend where the locals desecrated the bodies of two dead soldiers is what happens when you put assault troops (82nd and 101st divisions) among civilians.

This means the ordinary Ali in Iraq is feeling all of the pain and little of the benefit of occupation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement