Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not recognising HD from 'cold' boot

• 07-11-2003 1:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

I'm setting up windows on an AS Rock K7VM2, everything is working fine except it won't 'cold boot' because it doesn't recognise the hard drive first time around, only when I press the restart button will it recognise and load up winders. I thought I'd post here before going 'scouring the web'. I tested the on-board coin-like battery and it's ok. I rang the shop and they said if I don't get it fixed to bring it in but dear lord think of the hassle! I'm not fond of making bootable bios flashers either.

So has anyone got a bright idea or practical knowledge with this budget board please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Sounds very biosy.....

Did you check to see if you are running with the latest bios?, and if you are, did you check to see if there are any forums (fora?) out there discussing the board and any bios problems with it?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I have the exact same problem with a MSI KT6 Delta FIS2R and a 80gb maxtor 8mb cache hdd.

Dunno wtf it is :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

It's running version 1.3 and the latest seems to be 1.9, I guess the nest step would be to flash it, why did I know I'd have to mess with the bios, thanx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

See if there's an IDE access delay option in the bios. Some drives need a few seconds to spin up before they can be accessed (although I would have thought newer drives wouldn't suffer from that as much).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Hey Fabritzo, what kind of hard drive is it? Is it old or new? Are the jumper settings correct?
    When you restart and boot up do you have any further errors?

I would recommend flashing the (just be careful though).

Also - your PSU - is it up to scratch? - a cold boot problem could result from the imperfect metal-to-metal connections in a computer having greater resistance when cold. (Maybe try a warmer room ;-P),

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

oh yeah - maybe try unpluggin as much stuff as possible (chassis fans, unneccessary PCI cards, modem, network card, sound card etc.) See if problem remains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

As davidwwalsh said it's probably a jumper setting on the HDD i have all mine set to cable select,so you dont have to arse around with the master and slave $hit.

Good Luck

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

increase HDD "access delay" to 6 secs and reduce as you go thru , set HD and not CDRoms

also find the "stop on errors" setting in the bios and set to no errors while you tweak the spinup speed

M

It's a western 30gig, which happens to be on primary, I'll try it on cable select to see if it boots straight away, if not I'll go looking in the bios settings again but I don't remember seeing any HDD delays in there Muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

sometimes called a PRE delay = How long does it spin the drive before it tries to access it.

tell us the BIOS , its an award or phoenix usually.

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I previously had a cold boot problem with a WD1200JB.

I had other drives in the PC at the time so I could quickly eliminate a fault on the motherboard/bios side. It turned out to be a faulty drive (RMA'ed under warranty).

It's working, I justed changed the jumper setting a couple of minutes ago.

There are 5 different jumper options even thought it's marked CS-MASTER-SLAVE, the first 2 times I moved the jumper, it recognised as slave, then it recognised as master third time lucky, thanx people, I think I have a version of windows that's working flawlessly now, I think I'll just sit here and watch it for a while before I start 'using' it.

Advertisement