Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't I access certain sites ?

Options
  • 07-11-2003 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

A mate of mine (some mate) came over to my house and used my computer to show my brother how to fix an error he was getting on his computer at his own home. Without me knowing he seems to have changed some of the settings. AT first I didnt know where my windows 98 disk was - he imputted the code and it seemed to work again. I had to reinstall Mcafee virus scan. When surfing now, I can't access certain areas, eg hotmail - allows me into home page but gives me errors when I imput my username and password. I cant access aerlingus.com. Tried to purchase a dvd on cdwow.ie and it wont let me past the "beware this will only work in region 2" screen. Similarly, cant purchase a flight on ryanair. What do I need to do to correct ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

This is just a guess but if you're using Internet Explorer, have a look at your cookie settings

(Tools->Internet Options-> Privacy tab).

Mine is set to medium. At the higher settings (high, block all cookies) some or all cookies will be blocked, resulting in the same symptoms you describe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

Thanks sceptre but I had already tried that and was at high and brought back to medium. Other problems I'm having which someone might recognise:

Signing onto this site: browser doesn't open up home page - I have to click on "click here if your browser "etc"

- accessing mail on iolfree - "loading" up in top left corner but it doesn't load.

Could it be something to do with my browser settings ?

Any ideas anyone please ?:mad:

Just tried Windows update at microsoft and an error "0x800A138F" was given.

Seem to be on Internet Explorer 5 - could that be the problem ?

If it is what is the quickest way to download IE6 on 56K ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by rorook
    error "0x800A138F" was given.

DId you look up the error on the MS knowledge base to see what it is?
    Quickest way: Buy PC Live magazine (or similar), it'll be on the cover disk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Sorry sir did you say FORMAT
    yes boss! then i said REINSTALL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Originally posted by Emboss

Then have a strongly worded "discussion" with your mate...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by rorook
    Depending on your windows version, grab it from here. Should take under two hours - even cheaper than getting a magazine with a cover disc.

Yes it was the browser.

Downloaded IE6 from PCLive.

Forgot that I had all these disks that I've never really used !

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Emboss

Customer - "yes I've reinstalled, then I rang back then I was told to reformat and then reinstall .."

Tech Support "Did you do a full format or just a quick one ? and did you delete the partition before before you reformatted ?, did you leave the machine powered off for a full minute before making the new partition ?"

Note: "if customer calls back with the same problem, find out if they've run the debug script to wipe the partition table before creating the new partition"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

rook just dump IE and go and get a real browser, get firebird from here, get rid of IE its SO behind the times....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Just because YOU don't use it, doesn't make IE "SO behind the times". I hardly think Microsoft - the leading computer software company in the world EVER, are behind the times. Everyones entitled to their opinion, but that's just a stupid statement.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by herbie747
    Just because YOU don't use it, doesn't make IE "SO behind the times". I hardly think Microsoft - the leading computer software company in the world EVER, are behind the times. Everyones entitled to their opinion, but that's just a stupid statement.

[off topic Rant]
    Microsoft are the BIGGEST company, not necessarily the leading one and usually they only adopt things once others have shown the way (and in a lot of cases by buying out a small company or licencing the technology and there have been many legal battles about thier tatics.) One downside to this is the many problems of integrating other peoples innovations and inventions and code into their systems as opposed to developing it in house. - just look at NT terminal Server 4 ...
    [/Rant]

IE click on HELP and then About...
    Based on NCSA Mosaic. NCSA Mosaic(TM); was developed at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
    Distributed under a licensing agreement with Spyglass, Inc.
    Contains security software licensed from RSA Data Security Inc.
    Portions of this software are based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group.
    Multimedia software components, including Indeo(R); video, Indeo(R) audio, and Web Design Effects are provided by Intel Corp.
    Unix version contains software licensed from Mainsoft Corporation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Yeah, but my point was THEY ARE NOT "SOOOO behind the times".

Advertisement