Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Police Statement 2 months after accident !

Options
  • 07-11-2003 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

OK guys,

around two month ago I had an accident with my scooter. I hit a pedestrian, when she suddenly appeared between some parked cars. I tried to get around her, but hit her with my mirror on her shoulder.

She was (visibly) ok... no injuries were visible, and her clothes were all fine. We got no garda involved, I I gave her my number and adress, and told her to contact me, should there be anything wrong with her.

Never heard of her again. Yesterday evening I got a call from the cops, they would like me to make a statement about the accident. They got a letter from her solicitor.

My questions are:

- Should I get a solicitor myself before making a statement?
    - What is the reason that they went via the police, and didn't contact me directly ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

Damn right, get a solicitor. the cops could (will) bend it to suit themselves. Never say anything with proper advise.

As for her motives, Money.

It will be your word against hers but the fact that you were helpful at the time of the incident will go in your favour

but talk to a solicitor first

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Bad news. Definitely get a solicitor before you go in. Big Al has nailed it. This is for money.

When you make a stament to the Gardai, be as honest about the incident as possible, don't colour it with emotion. Think about everything in chronological order, go over the incident in your mind and be sure of everything that happened. I sincerely doubt she has told them she walked out from between two parked cars without looking... and I trust this wasn't at a pedestrian crossing.

Also, take pictures of your scooter, showing no damage. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Definitely get a solicitor - at least talk to one, first consultation is usually free. There may be an issue with leaving the scene of an accident.

You might have a strong defence if she came out from between parked cars (are you not meant to keep a door's width away from cars?).

The incident smells of compo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but -

"Where a person or persons are injured and no Garda is present at the scene, the accident MUST be reported to the nearest convenient Garda Station" (Rules of the Road, page 63)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Silvera
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but -

"Where a person or persons are injured and no Garda is present at the scene, the accident MUST be reported to the nearest convenient Garda Station" (Rules of the Road, page 63)

I think there is a time limit of 24 hours too.

TO Dsb: Dont say anything to the cops without proper legal consel. Have they given you a date to show up at the cop shop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

You should have reported the accident at the time, aside from the legal requirement to do so, important to do so to cover yourself from precisely what has happened now.

You will have to consult a solicitor as she is obviously now on the money trail.

You can take photos of your moped, but will be of little or no evidential value as any damage incurred at the time could have been repaired in the interim. Unless you are prepared to lie & say you took them directly afterwards, but you'll have a job explaining why you felt it necessary to do so & not do anything else about the accident.

One thing you could do is take photos at the location over the course of several days at the same time to show that there are always cars parked - assuming that is the case of course!

Write everything down that you can remember about the accident. If it does eventually go to court (which I doubt) it could be 2 or 3 years time.

Oh and..
    the cops could (will) bend it to suit themselves.

Why would they bother?:rolleyes:

Advertisement