Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DivX (home movies) to DVD guide.

Options
  • 07-11-2003 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

As per requests please find attached my guide on how to back up your home movies (in DivX or Avi format) to DVD.

Please note my references to scripts. You can greatly improve your video quality and the resultant DVD (ie aspect ratios and such) by using scripts. I'm myself am new to this area so I have bypassed scripts for now. If anyone masters them please let me know ;) More info on KDVD scripts can be founf in their forum here

Websites of interest and tools needed below....

Sites:
    Firstly DVDRhelp which is the best DVD/VCD/SVCD site out there. The tutorials (guides) are spot on. This is the best site to start off on.

KVCD.net is a site from the developers of the KVCD/KDVD templates. These templates used in conjunction with TPMGenc will give you up to:

VCD quality - 120 mins of video on 1 VCD (CDr).
    DVD quality - 6 hours of video quality at original DVD quality.
    1/2 DVD quality - up to 10 hours of video at 1/2 DVD quality.

KVCD.net forum can be found here. The guys are great at answering Q's just make sure you post in the right forum.

Tools needed:
    TPMGenc. This is the tool you use to convert an Avi file (Divx ect) to Mepg1 for VCD and MPEG2 for DVD.
    Vidtualdub, which can do a host of things. Main function is to split the audio from the original file (so we don’t get sync errors). This is also a great tool for finding your original file (DivX) information - such as is the file 5.1 channels ECT - explained in the guide.
    BeSweet, which will convert our Wav file to AC3 (Dolby digital audio for DVD).
    Besweet gui, which is a front end for besweet. Makes it all a bit easier. KVCD & KDVD templates to use with TPMGenc.

So for those who are reading this threading saying what the fúck is this guy on about I'll give a brief overview on what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to convert an avi file (divX and such) of a home movie onto a DVD so that I can play it on my DVD player. I will convert the DivX file to Mpeg1/2 (compatible video file for VCD and DVD) with a program called TPMGenc. This tool has a load of settings, which will greatly affect the output Mpeg file. It is very difficult to setup TPMGenc so this is where the KDVD/VCD templates come in. These templates set all the settings up for you and will result in a high quality output and the file will be as small as possible (roughly 700MB DivX in will give 1GB MPEG2 out). DVD will take up to 4GB so you can fit approx 4 files on 1 DVD). However the KDVD/VCD templates do not convert audio. This is because TPMGenc tends to send audio out of sync on the resultant MPEG1/2 file so we split the audio (Wav) from the original file with virtualdub and then we convert the Wav file to AC3 (DVD compatible audio) with Besweet. We then use TPMGenc DVD author to create menu's for our DVD and to multiplex (put the audio (ac3) and video (Mpeg1/2) back together) our video ready to burn to DVD (when mutliplexed you should have VOB files - more info on DVD structure here. We then burn the files to DVD using TPMGenc DVD author. (other software can be used like Nero).

TPMGenc DVD author to add menus for our dvd and multiplex the audio and video back. We can dvd author to burn the files to DVD or you can use Nero.

For those of you that have a DVD that you want to rip to DivX and then follow my guide use one of these but make sure the DVD isn't copyright before hand ;).

My final note is I have used an avi called fright night for the guide. It is from a home movie I recorded at holloween ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

After all that my guide (word doc) was too big (2.6GB) to load as an attachment. This is probably because I have loads of screen shots. Anyone any suggestins how I can post the guide?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

2.6Gb Word Doc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Put it up on a web site and post the link here :)

Originally posted by Hobart
    2.6Gb Word Doc?

Yes. Probably because it has 17 screen shots on it to make it as easy to understand as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Let me get this right, you have a Word document that's 2.6Gigabytes that you want to post on boards?

Wow.

*ahem* I would suggest uploading it to your own webspace, then linking to it from here.

*edit - The 17 screenshots can't possibly be that big.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Lucutus
    Let me get this right, you have a Word document that's 2.8Gigabytes that you want to post on boards?

Wow.

*ahem* I would suggest uploading it to your own webspace, then linking to it from here.

Ahem.... did I say Gb...... I of course meant MB. Sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

thanks dave, big help

Advertisement