Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewire not detected/USB controller causes blackout

Options
  • 07-11-2003 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Can anyone help? I'm running W98SE on an (old) ASUS board with ALI V chipset. I have an Elsa Erazor III Lite video card (which I think is causing me problems). I want to install a PCI Firewire card, but Windows can't detect it (no display in the Device Manager even though the driver is installed). The video card is in an AGP slot, I have 2 other PCI slots (one for the sound card). If I try a USB 2.0 controller card in the PCI slot, Windows won't start up (Schutzfehler - translates as protection violation) until I remove the card. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

You may need to update the Chipset Drivers (say such as ALI V available from ASUS or ALI themselves or Intel 820 available from Intels website or Via available from VIA) in Windows 98

Flash the ASUS Bios to the most recent available for that MoBo

also make sure the BIOS is set to Plug and Play OS so it can auto configure IRQs , 3 4 year old MoBos were often set to non plug n play os once everything was working to stop cockups thereafter.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Synno

Thanks for the tips Muck.
    I updated the chipset a while ago but was wary of trying to flash the BIOS (if anything goes awry, I'll have major problems - or can you back up the BIOS version for restoration if there are problems?). I'll try it anyway - nothing ventured, nothing gained (apart from a completely banjaxed system, maybe).

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Synno

Simple answer: my board is too old to accept USB 2.0. I'll try procuring a USB 1.1 controller and see if that works.

Advertisement