Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need sleep

• 07-11-2003 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question. Sure fire ways of getting some sleep during the day anyone?
    I've tried warm milk with nutmeg etc, can't get drugged/liquored up either and unwilling to take sleeping pills.
    I know that cuts down my options, but does anyone have any other natural ides, I haven't slept in 4 days and have important tests tomorrow.

-Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I try not to sleep..and usually sends me straight off.
    seriously read a really boring book..Try tom clancys latest that will send you straight off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

A drop of lavendar oil on your pillow should send you off.
    Make sure it's pure essential oil though, and not some perfume fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Mercury

Rohypnol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you can get things like nytol etc. which you put on your pillow (essential oils and stuff) which helps.

sleep balm to put on your temples and chest which also helps.

i got some Kalms tablets for the g/f to help her de-stress (they are supposed to calm you down a bit) and it almost completely knocked her out.

only natural stuff in them so although they are pills there's nothing weird in them (like rohypnol:rolleyes:).

also make sure you have a nice warm house, apartment, room, whatever and warm cozy clothes to make you snug. blackout curtains or hanging a thick sheet or spare duvet over the window to block out the light helps too.

candlelight rather than brighter lights should help while you are drifting off too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tHe_DaGs_BaGs

you could always try sex or even w@nking.

always sends me straight off. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

dunno about anyone else but this thread is making me sleepy

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by tHe_DaGs_BaGs
    you could always try sex or even w@nking.

always sends me straight off. :D

you could always try a helpful hint
    or not bother posting
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭spudulike

do some serious exercise or manual labour - i guarantee you'll sleep afterwards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Valiums always to the trick for me! :D Although be prepared for an 8 hour almost unwakeable kip if you go down that road! Also if you take "the little blue pills" and don't sleep things can get a little strange to say the least.... :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Second

sleep at night.

You could try the American dream. stand on your bed...Get down on your hunkers *lol what a word* ... against a wall that your bed is beside with your head rested against your knees facing downwards.... take really deep breaths for about 2 mins till your head gets light... then stand up really quickly and hold your breath... till you pass out.

but that is a bit of a drastic messure. why don't you sleep at night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Second

a massage.. or a warm bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    or not bother posting
    B

Well whether you want to admit it or not B, that advice is helpful, regardless of its sexual nature, so think before you caution.

After the male ejaculation, chemical sedatives are released that will put a man to sleep or help him at any rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

Originally posted by Sangre
    After the male ejaculation, chemical sedatives are released that will put a man to sleep or help him at any rate.

I can vouct for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by Sangre
    It happens 3-5 minutes after orgasm for men, and 7-9 minutes after orgams for women.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

like wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

try going for a walk the night air is pretty good for helping put you to sleep and
    the hunters moon is currently up full and fat and round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

the hunters moon is currently up full and fat and round

Oh here we go... (just joking!)

Cutting all processed\added sugar out of your diet should really help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Floater

Originally posted by Havelock
    Just a quick question. Sure fire ways of getting some sleep during the day anyone?
    I've tried warm milk with nutmeg etc, can't get drugged/liquored up either and unwilling to take sleeping pills.
    I know that cuts down my options, but does anyone have any other natural ides, I haven't slept in 4 days and have important tests tomorrow.

Forget the "additives" some people have been suggesting and instead try subtracting unhelpful things from your diet - particularly stuff you consume within five hours of hitting the sack.

If you are allergic to a food or beverage it will increase your blood pressure level and you will find it more difficult / impossible to sleep. Remove the item that you are allergic to and you will have no problem sleeping. And feel far healthier.

How do you determine which items are causing you a problem?

Selectively eliminate food groups. eg Day one avoid all foods with dairy products - (the top allergic product statistically). Day two avoid all products containing wheat. etc.

Watch out for the salt and sugar content of anything you consume. eg it is better not to consume more than 5g of salt per day. Many convenience foods have a high salt and or sugar content to hook consumers - same as nicotine in the tobacco consumption driver.

If you really love something and consume a lot of it you are very probably allegic to it. And it will drive up your blood pressure whatever your age - and might cause lots of other health problems over your life. If your blood pressure is high you will have difficulty sleeping and will not get a good quality of sleep when you do get tired enough to turn the light off.

Floater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Get ear plugs from pharmacy (€1) and make sure room is dark enough. Eat only a light meal before trying to sleep. And take half an hour of doing nothing before trying to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    or not bother posting
    B

tut tut, Anna, this is probably the best advice dealt out here. A shag or a **** makes any guy sleepy....just how long out of the saddle are you? ;)

• Advertisement

If you sleep 8 hours + at night then there's no way you're getting to sleep in the day. Try four hours at night and another 4 during the day.

BTW, excuse me for asking, but why would you want to sleep during the day anyway?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by MojoMaker
    tut tut, Anna, this is probably the best advice dealt out here. A shag or a **** makes any guy sleepy....

Yes indeed, I temporarily underestimated the simpleness of the male species
    Whatever was I thinking

just how long out of the saddle are you? ;)

I'll put this remark down to the fact you haven't met me
    :p

I believe Havelock is a smart enough chappie as to know this already, and he is probably looking for some trick that others have used that he hasn't thought of.
    Havelock, if you are changing your sleeping patterns your body will basically normally just tell you get lost.
    I would also like to know why you need to sleep during the day? Are you working at night?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Personally- as an insomniac for longer than I care to imagine, if you cannot sleep- the next best thing is to try to rest your body and your mind as best you can. I would recommend trying to find as quiet a place as possible, it doesn't really matter whether its bright or dark- but quiet, and softly play at a very low volume, some soothing classical music. No Wagner or anything along those lines- you don't have to like the music, as long as its low and soothing (its as much to block out other background noise as anything else). Remove obvious distractions from around you- and make sure you're nice and warm without being too hot. You may not fall asleap, but you can clear your mind, and feel more peaceful.

A thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Shilo

It's a really tough one because your body establishes a pattern of not sleeping, or not being able to fall back asleep when you wake up. It's all about breaking the pattern and it doesn't sound like you have time to do that properly.

Bizarrely, I find I sleep better when the room I'm in is a little bit cold. That way I can burrow down under the covers and somehow it always seems to let me sleep better. It's a b*itch of a thing to say because I know it's an aggravating thing to deal with but the more you worry about it, the harder it'll be to sleep. Try and spend the last few hours of your day soing something totally unconnected with your main job. For example, it sounds like you're working at night, while you're studying for some kind of exams. If you watch a film, or listen to some music or whatever, make sure it's completely unconnected with whatever it is you're studying for.

Hope something from all the suggestions posted helps you out. And good luck with the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭spooiirt!!

go running, then lift weights, then eat a nice warm meal. make yourself physically tired so your body has to rest. also a full stomach helps you relax. then have a nice **** in bed, and youl be asleep in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

turn up the radiators or whatever heat source u use, nothin better to make u dozy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Read yourself to sleep
    and make sure you dont turn off your side light or all the hardwork is undone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Am too busy to sleep.
    Course has me up at 6.30am to get there on time, study on bus, finish at 4pm. Go job hunting (am broke), used to go out to see my girlfriend (but we broke up last week, so now instead have the stress of coping without having a breakdown, to while away the hours), study on bus, photograph a gig or two for ISH magazine, late bus home studing, later dinner, watch a movie or read a book, go to bed, get up repeat.

If I fail the exam next week its 150 euro to repeat, I earn 120 a week doing the course, -50 rent, -15 bus ticket, -25 food, -20 camera repayment, so 10 savings a week (which is never saved),

I'm guessing my lack of sleep is stress related, but could be wrong. Had a nice weekend this one past 4 hours sleep.

I'm going to scream.

Advertisement