Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats

• 07-11-2003 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve been doing Squats as part of my routine for the past few months with no problems up until the past few weeks. I seem to be getting a slight pain in my lower back, just left of my tailbone. So much so, that I had to finish early in the Gym last night because of it. The strange thing is though, as soon as I left the gym the pain went, but I can slightly feel it today. I’m not too sure whether it’s a “pulled something” type of pain or because of the fact that the lower back is quite a sensitive area it might be just fatigue. The thing I do know is that I don’t want to continue squatting until I find out what it is because I don’t want to do damage to my back.
    I’ve been very careful to make sure that I’ve been using the correct form (mind you, that goes for all exercises!!!)
    I was wondering if any body had any suggestions as to what this might be.
    Is it the fact that my back is just too weak and needs to be strengthened up?
    Or is it the fact that I perform the exercise on the Smith Machine?? I do know that the Smith Machine is far from ideal for doing squats but I don’t really have a choice there unfortunately!!
    I’d also like to know if the lower back is actually used when doing squats as I’ve always felt that it was, or at least it has felt that way when I’ve done them!

Thanks in advance.

B.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Possibly this

The problem I had/have with my lower back roughly was the kind of sheath which which goes around this lower bit of the spine/tailbone was compressed/crushed. The result was gradually that it would not extend back to an uncompressed state, leaving my flexibility in my lower back at zero and fairly constant pain.

It would gradually (weeks) be made ok, but as soon as I started loading weight on it again it would compress and take a long time to uncompress even with stretching etc.

Generally my experience of lower back problems is there are 100's and it is very difficult to diagnose and treat any of them. If the injury is causing you pain see a physio/chiro till it is resolved.

Then consider a more thorough strethcing routine for the area and build up as much muscle in the lower back as you can to help avoid aggravation of the problem. It has more or less worked for me.

Bottom line is though, do not ignore niggling problems like this. Some injuries are for life.

JAK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cheers Jak!!

I'm not sitting on a doughnut shaped ring!!!! They'll all think I've got piles or something!!!! ;)

No, but seriously, I think I might go see a physio to find out exactly what it is.
    It doesn't feel that bad at the moment but I really don't want to be carried out of the Gym one day by an Ambulance crew!!
    Does it cost much to see a physio on average? And would a physio be able to draw up a routine to help strengthen my back? And while I'm asking all these questions, could you or anybody else for that matter recommend a physio that deals with backs in particular??

Thanks again,

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you are in college, there is often a college physio, who are usually very cheap. Here in UCC, an appointment is only E10.

I have a bad suspicion that using the Smith Machine is the cause of your troubles. Those things are just downright dangerous, and should not be used in any gym. The path your body follows while using one is unnatural, and even though you keep good form using it, you still are very constrained. If you ever do free squats, you will never go back to using one of those.

Why Smith Machines are bad!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

stay away from smith machines , they are lethal they force you into unnatural form when squatting
    I would even go so far as to say a leg press machine is better
    have you tried a leg press does it give you the pain ?
    If in doubt go and get yourself checked out if you have a problem with your back and you do not look after it you could have it for life !!!!
    also read this http://www.hardgainer.com/stuart/122800.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

If you are in college, there is often a college physio, who are usually very cheap. Here in UCC, an appointment is only E10.

im in ucc too and looking for a few sessions for my knee. where can i get an appointment with the physio or is it only open to those who play on the college teams?

as with the smith machines i find them very very limiting in my range of movement during the squat but since my gym does not have anything else im stuck. tried using dumb bells but they dont ahve enough weight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I haven't used the free weights in UCC for a while, but I understood that they had gotten a weights rack that you can use for squatting.

Otherwise, get someone to spot you. (which is what I usually do, as I can squat more than I can safely lift over my head).

I'm not too sure how to get an appointment with the UCC physio, thankfully I've never needed one. Why don't you ring the doctor's office 021-4902311 and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement