Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fill a watermelon with alcohol?

• 07-11-2003 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

I've seen it done with the likes of vodka, but i have a bottle of sambuca thats just asking to be used.
    Since sambuca is a slightly thicker spirit than vodka, would it be soaked by the water melon?

That said has anyone ever tried it with vodka? Does it work? Is it worth a try?

If not does anyone know where one might find a online type tutorial top show how its done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

it should work pretty much the same... may take a bit longer to soak up the booz.

had the vodka one last summer... perfect on a hot day.

AlcoMelon

1 large ripe watermelon
    1 bottle of alcohol

cut a hole in the top of the melon, Pour in booz, leave for a few hours and top up, then leave in a cool dry place overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

We used to put a hole in the end of the the watermelon too. Otherwise the vodka doesn't move through the watermelon as easily.
    Jam the bottle upside down in to the top on the watermelon and leave it sitting upright. If the level of vodka doesn't drop in a couple of hours, put another smaller hole in the top also. This allows air to exit as the vodka goes it.

I don't think Sambuca would go through it properly.
    Would be rotten too methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's a piece of piss, I've done it many times.

as for a tutorial, OK here ye go:

1. Get yourself a melon (the kind with a centre you can scoop out, like honeydew, or galia are best).

2. you guessed it, cut off the top, just enough so you can scoop out the pips and other crap you won't want to be eating.

3. find yourself a little stand for it (a roll of sellotape usually works well, or a bowl which will allow it to stand up unaided) and fill with your choice of booze*.

4. stand it up in the fridge and put the 'lid' back on that you cut off, holding it in place with a couple of cocktail sticks to stop it moving round or sliding off (not strictly necessary, but it stops the melon taking in other smells from the fridge) or wrap it in some clingfilm with the open end at the top (tied up obviously, to keep all the good stuff in).

5. leave in the fridge for at least 24 hours, checking it after about 12 hours and topping up with booze if needed. (you shouldn't really leave it soaking for more than this, as the melon can sometimes start to fall to bits after too long and make it hard to eat). **

6. take it out, and drain the liquid back into a bottle (don't throw it away) and slice your melon into wedges for people to munch on.

7. When that's gone, start dishing out shot's of the melon flavoured booze to finish off.

*I've only ever tried plain vodka but as long as its got a fairly high alcohol content the booze will soak in fine.

**not always though, so if you have the time, try experimenting.

Good luck and have fun, but beware it seems to have nmore of an alcoholic effect than booze alone would do.:D :D:D

edit: not tried with watermelon, but it sounds ideal on a hot day. ww)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If you're going to be communally drinking from straws try and get some kind of mesh to put inside the melon between the straws and alcomaterial. Straws get easily clogged. Much more fun strawing it than dishing the stuff out in civilised 'cups' if you ask me.

even giving everyone a spoon and just passing it round as a big ol' bowl would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Bah so much effort.

Get a bottle of vodka. A mellon... or apple or whatever fruit you want.

Take a swig from the bottle, swallow.
    Take a bite from the fruit.
    Take another swig, while the fruit is still in your mouth.

Tilt your head back and swirl n swush like mouth wash.

Here is the key thing though.

Its not mouth wash, so swallow dont spit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Originally posted by damnyanks

Tilt your head back and swirl n swush like mouth wash.

Here is the key thing though.

Its not mouth wash, so swallow dont spit.

.....said the bishop to the actress!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

so anyway, got me a honeyhew melon, lopped off the top of it, knocked out the pips as much as i could and then filled it with sambuca, let it soak overnight, top up in the mornin, let soak again for rest of the day, not much soakage but it was ok, got some people who like sambuca to drink the contents and then sliced it into pieces, the melon really took the brunt of the taste so you didnt really get a bad taste

i recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

What about using a head of cabbage for a real Irish drink??? :p

Scoop leaves .. . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

i really have too much free time you know.....

click on my signature and go to the sambuca melon link......

• Advertisement

nice one. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

I heartily endorse this product and or event! :)

s-11.jpg

Advertisement