Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Vs. Man Utd

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

From Liverpool website
    Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson has admitted Liverpool should have been awarded a penalty at Anfield on Sunday.

Liverpool were furious when referee Graham Poll waved away penalty claims after Florent Sinama Pongolle was sent tumbling inside the area by Rio Ferdinand as they chased a second half equaliser.

Ferguson was thrilled to take all three points from the absorbing clash, but he concedes the game could easily have had a different outcome.

He said: "They are all big wins when you are playing Liverpool. There have been some fantastic games over the years and this was another - it was played at incredible speed.

"Going 2-0 up you feel you're in with a great chance but you can never be certain here because they never give up. That is the quality they have.

"Liverpool were a little unfortunate but sometimes you get something out of a game when you don't really deserve to.

"Rio felt he got a touch on the ball for the penalty claim, but the replay shows that maybe it was a penalty. Those are the sort of breaks you need in a game like this.

"The defence needed to be great against Liverpool, against a formidable effort. When Heskey had his chance at the end, all I saw was red shirts in the box."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Posted by jono

Not trying to add to the little arguement here but Ferguson said today that he thought it was a peno.

Where did he say he thought it was a penno ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Posted by jono

Where did he say he thought it was a penno ?

Rio felt he got a touch on the ball for the penalty claim, but the replay shows that maybe it was a penalty

Yeah I read that.
    Where did he say it was a pen?

Yeah I read that.

Ok only I am allowed to be that picky.

In all fairness, when Alex Ferguson says " but the replay shows that maybe it was a penalty"about the opposition, you are on to a winner.

Ok only I am allowed to be that picky.

:D

Maybe it was Maybe it wasn,t the important factor being the ref though it wasn,t. I didn,t think there was enought intent to give a pen but saying that we have all seen pennos given in similar circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

lets all agree it was a penalty and let that be that.(and i mean let that be that)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Well if your own posts conflict with each other, expect people to nit pick.... There was contact and he didnt dive. Only one conclusion to that one...
    "Little if no contact" does not mean that it is a penalty or a foul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

Yeah I read that.

On the post match interview on SKY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

might as well lock this thread at this stage, its going nowhere. United supporters would be bringing up the same argument if Van nistleroy was taken down like that and Liverpool supporters would be putting up the same defense as United supporters are giving. No ones ever going to agree, its the nature of football rivalry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by talla
    might as well lock this thread at this stage, its going nowhere. United supporters would be bringing up the same argument if Van nistleroy was taken down like that and Liverpool supporters would be putting up the same defense as United supporters are giving. No ones ever going to agree, its the nature of football rivalry.
    Well said.

i said let that be that !!!! (Ggrrr)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Man Utd deserved to win. What a match in all fairness. It probably would have been a peno to liverpool on another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

so hands up who thinks it should have been a peno ?

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Originally posted by Big Ears
    i said let that be that !!!! (Ggrrr)

quick, better do what big ears says or he may get angry
    *pretends to quiver in boots*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ok Ok, Lets just say It was a peno,
    and lets just say they missed.

I really wanted Liverpool to get the penalty so we could have got a draw but now I realise I have another reason - to stop the mindless arguements go on in here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Man U supporter here......

DEFINITE PENALTY!!! No doubt about it, we were lucky to come away from the match with a win.

I thought liverpool were more hungry for the win, but they still don't look as good as they did at the start of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

it was hardly a DEFINATE penalty, even on replays it doesnt totally clear it up. some you get, some you dont.

there was contact alright which in the rules means a penalty. so according to the law it was a penalty. but come on, how often are we critising refs for handing out peno's here and there and dishing out cards.

if you say that was a peno, you must also agree that every tackle deserves a yellow which is again, basically the law.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by smemon
    it was hardly a DEFINATE penalty, even on replays it doesnt totally clear it up. some you get, some you dont.

there was contact alright which in the rules means a penalty. so according to the law it was a penalty. but come on, how often are we critising refs for handing out peno's here and there and dishing out cards.

if you say that was a peno, you must also agree that every tackle deserves a yellow which is again, basically the law.

Your logic would be sound, only for the that it was infact a penalty and thats simple, bookings or cards are irrelevent as they are an after consideration once the penalty has been given. They have no impact of a penalty decision been made.

Jesus are we still on about this. just to make you happy it was a deffo stone wall penno. The ref should be shot for not giving it. Now can we move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Now can we move on.

Please!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Yeah, back to forlan running into the fencing. Twas a cracker.

Jesus are we still on about this. just to make you happy it was a deffo stone wall penno. The ref should be shot for not giving it. Now can we move on.
    slowly but surly their seeing my point of view by the end of the thread they all will be converted (mmwwahhhaaaahaha)

Originally posted by midget lord
    quick, better do what big ears says or he may get angry :(

yes yeer all being converted (mmwahhhhahaha)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

A very good decision by the referee. Cheats should not be given penalties, and Sunday's cheat did not get one.

Something about Liverpool strikers losing their sense of balance inside the box. Little Mickey is an expert at it ( Argentina WC, anyone) and Huskie showed how precarious his balance is, yet again, on Sunday.

It seems Liverpool are so keen on the Losers (UEFA) Cup that they are going out all guns blazing to qualify again next season.

HOULLIER MUST STAY! I think he's doing a great job.

people have said its a penalty.people have said its not a penalty.But no one has been as stupid as u and suggested he dived come on u have to be anti -liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

The thoughts of most Liverpool Fans and ABU's
    It was also a clear-cut penalty when Ferdinand brought down Pongolle.

I only stumbled across this post today but her is my opinion. After I first seen the incident I thought I need to see that again but I was sure the ref would call penno. After I seen the replay the first time I thought no Rio got something on the ball. After seeing the replay 2 more time it looked marginally to be a penalty. So my conclusion is I think it probably was a penalty but it wasn't the 'clear-cut' or as some people say 'clean-cut'. There was not contact on the ball bue the contact on the player was minimal. It was a tough call for the ref.

Anyway even if It was a clean-cut penalty I see it as revenge for 99 when Jesper Blomqvist made an excellent challenge in the box and David Elleray awarded a penalty to Liverpool. He also denied Dennis Irwin an FA Cup Medal for Kicking the ball onto the pitch. I'll never forget that for as lon as I live.

But no one has been as stupid as u and suggested he dived come on u have to be anti -liverpool

No Sh1t sherlock. Did ya figure that out all by yerself or did Noddy help ya.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Quote from the muppet

Where exactly do you want us to move to? Maybe a suggestion as apposed to just throwing open ended comments would manipulate people into talking about other aspects of the match or is it the Thread in general that you are board with?

This is a debate about the Liverpool V ManU match. When I clicked on the link I expected to hear all about the penalty decision. By reading the thread you should be able to determin this. If you don't want to hear about the match then click on some other link. It ain't rocket sience.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by AthAnRi
    Where exactly do you want us to move to? Maybe a suggestion as apposed to just throwing open ended comments would manipulate people into talking about other aspects of the match or is it the Thread in general that you are board with?

This is a debate about the Liverpool V ManU match. When I clicked on the link I expected to hear all about the penalty decision. By reading the thread you should be able to determin this. If you don't want to hear about the match then click on some other link. It ain't rocket sience.

Well said, hear hear!!!!

u have to be anti -liverpool

Well, actually, I am, big time. The bleating from the Liverpool supporters never ceases to amaze me. They haven't won a Premiership, ever, and seem to have a chip on their shoulder as a result. All we hear at the present time is "6 trophies" this, "6 trophies" that. What of significance is in that 6? One FA cup , one European losers cup and some collection of tin no decent professional footballer would be proud of.

Pool supporters need to grasp the reality their club will never return to being as successful as they were in the late 1970's/early 1980's. Lads that's 20 years ago, it's over.

If it wasn't for the selling off of bits of the club to SKY, GRANADA etc, Pool would be in a similar situation to LEEDS and CHelsea (Prior to their benefactor).

Face up lads, Pool are a mid table team and are not going anywhere. The team is shaky, poor keeper, suspect defence, one man midfield and only littel Mickey doing anything up front. Cut out the bleating and watch real teams play football, United (The biggest team in England), Arsenal and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Rodney you Plonkah !!!

So am I The only one bored after 7 pages of it was/wasn,t a penno rant. I got the impression from mikes post that it was boring him too. No amount of debate is goona change the result sunday,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I can't believe me posting ...
    so hands up who thinks it should have been a peno ?
    :D:D:D
    ...got another 20 posts going :rolleyes:

BTW It was a peno ;)

Wasn,t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Originally posted by tomED

I thought liverpool were more hungry for the win, but they still don't look as good as they did at the start of last season.

what season is this tom? We have been crap since the start of the season.

We?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You Plonker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Back in your box muppet.

_0/

One raised arm for the penalty.

Looks like we are all agreed that the thread has run it's course.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement