Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webmaster Training

Options
  • 07-11-2003 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

I wish to upskill myself with the ability to develop and maintain small to medium sized websites. At present I can create static sites with Dreamweaver and dare I say it Frontpage. I am familiar with stuff like tables, links, frames, templates etc. Not familiar with graphics or dynamic site build. I have no programming background and feel I wish to improve my knowledge of domain name and hosting issues.

Obtaining qualifications is not of concern, however I would like some advice as to what I should learn next and suggestions re any relevant books or courses. I don't intend to do everything myself and am conscious of the fact that I will need to buy in some skills in the areas of programming and graphics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Depending on where you are based you should be able to find courses locally to help you achieve your goals.

Have you checked out places like NightCourses.com?

Online resources are plentiful, though you may need to 'cherry pick'

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

Thanks Blacknight.

I intend to start teaching myself HTML using books and online tutorials. Any opinions on whether this is the best next step?

Henri

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

pretty sure this is the right address if it's not try changing the .org with .net and so on

this site is great for a gppd few languages its www.w3schools.org

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

A few places to start:
    http://www.webstandards.org/ - W3C compliant code - why this is a good thing
    http://glish.com/css/ - CSS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

www.webmonkey.com

And of course - ask people questions here.

I'm interested in pursuing something with a qualification.

Has anyone done this - reccomendations?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dynamic.ie

Here is a good site for DWMX stuff. Check out the forums there if you are having a problem. Usually get a response very quickly (use the Dreamweaver UltraDev Forum - it gets most hits).

www.dmxzone.com

Regards,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Just so you know, you've got a lot of competition out there.

Sounds like you've pretty much got no skills. You're not a trained designer or programmer, and those courses just teach the basics.

Don't want to deter you, just doin't expect to do a quick course and be instantly employable, you'd have to go for the laong haul.

If decide to go for it, good luck, we'll be here to help.

Advertisement