Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Landlord

Options
  • 07-11-2003 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

My landlord won't carry out any repairs. I've called his secretary about 20 times over the last 4 to 5 months. She said she passes on the message, but the landlord will do nothing. I haven't got one call from him, or his secretary.

The other day i told his secretary that i am gonna stop paying the rent. this is due next week.

What will likely happen if i do this?

Also, will the bank stop a Direct debit, or a standing order straight away?

Also, if i don't have the funds in my account to cover the DD or SO, will i be charged a penalty by the bank?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Assuming you didn't cause the damage, write to your landlord saying you are deducting the cost of repairs from the rent. Send by registered post. Keep receipts and invoices. spend only reasonable amounts.

Alternatively if you want to withhold rent, put it aside in a separate bank account (a) to prove you are willing to pay when the work is done (b) so you don't accidentally spend it.

Not sure about the bank side of things - I think they do charge a fee for messed up DD / SOs - do this too often and it may affect your credit rating. Tell the bank ASAP and don't take the money out until after the normal date if you want to avoid this charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭robo

The bank will take it out of your account unless you tell them. And yes even if you don't have the money in the account, they will still debit your account. And that will be a black mark against you with the bank.

But you are right, hold back paying the rent until he does something about it. That will make him move fairly lively to fixing your flat.

Oh, downside is a rent increase or worse ...

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Its a year lease, I don't plan on staying here after the year. Thats up in 4 months. So a rent increase isn't something i'll worry about. I've paid 2 months deposit when i moved in.

I don't mind paying the money owed, once the work has been done. It has just been going on forr so long now, that i just feel like i've had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Dampsquid
    Its a year lease, I don't plan on staying here after the year. Thats up in 4 months. So a rent increase isn't something i'll worry about. I've paid 2 months deposit when i moved in.

Wait a minute...you paid 2 months deposit? What? I've never come across this, i've always paid one months rent as deposit myself. This sounds rather sus.

• Advertisement

Oh yes, if you can log the phonecalls you have made and mention them in your letter.

Advertisement