Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish cars to be fitted with wireless black boxes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can a lot of merit in the black box idea...if ppl are uncomfortable with the ideas thier boss knows they're not where they should be thats thier look out! The data
    laws should be enough to protect in domestic user...

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In theory the box could be paid for by savings in insurance costs..

But that would only happen if the insurance companies passed the savings on, and nothing they have done in the last 20 years would indicate they would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

This idea is fine in commercial vehicles (to monitor valuable cargos) or in company cars (or private vehicles) if the company/person wants it - but it should not be compulsory.

I would not want somebody knowing where I was every time I went for a drive.
    I've nothing in particular to hide, it's the principle of it. We have enough 'big brother' technology already !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    But that would only happen if the insurance companies passed the savings on, and nothing they have done in the last 20 years would indicate they would do that.

Sure they could. Raise costs by 20% then offer 15% off if you put a black box in your car.

Advertisement