Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Survivor Series Recap - 1987 - 2002 pt1

• 07-11-2003 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

It's when i sit down and write articles like this that I really start to show my age. Seeing as I saw the very first one on Sky TV in 1987. It's been the spot for a lot of interesting stuff over the years. The Gobbeldygooker, Hogan jobbing, The Bret Hart Screwjob, The Big Show GETTING THE BELT?! Sometimes i wondered if i was watching "Believe It Or Not!". So without further a do, lets get to the rundown of each one.

1987: The inception of the PPV, 5 men on each team, striving to survive. Also bringing a tag team elimination where ten men appeared on each team. It was impressive, although the first one was far from being a highlight. It's main event featured a super heavyweight 5 against 5 Featuring Hogan, Ken Patera, Paul Orndorff (who had turned face for the second time that year), Bam Bam Bigelow and Don Muraco (who subbed for Superstar Billy Graham). What a lot of people didn't know about this one was the fact that the only reason it started was Vince wanted to put on a PPV at the same time as Jim Crockett's NWA Starrcade 87. Guess who won that battle? (and eventual war)

1988: Held in the Richfield Colleseum for the second year in a row. This is known for having the longest opener in WWE history at over 40 minutes. Yes folks, it was the second and last time they had the 10 man a side tag team elimination match. It ended with the double turn for Demolition who were heels (but fan reaction forced them to turn face after a year), and the Powers of Pain (a Road Warriors imitation team that never got over). It would be pretty much the highlight of the night as firings and injuries crippled the rest of the card (fill-in's like Jumpin' Jim Brunzel, Scott Casey and Sam Houston on a PPV?!). It would also start the ball rolling for the Hogan/Savage megapower split.

1989: 5 on 5 was dropped for 4 on 4 that year so they could fit an extra match, with Hogan's match being put mid card. Little or no buildup was granted that year. Of Note, the Harts were split again for a second time to push Bret for a second time, and he got a pretty big pop for their European tour that year (just after Summerslam). Needless to say it didn't last and they were put back together by the end of the year. It ended with The Ultimate Warrior against Bobby Heenan (subbing for Tully Blanchard who was fired that day for "failing a drugs test"). 1989 wasn't the greatest year for WWE and it showed here.

1990: Where to start with this. They brought up a brilliant idea i thought in having a Grand Finale Match of Survival where the winners of the face team which would have been Hogan, Warrior, and Tito Santana(!?) going against Ted Dibiase, Rick Martel, Warlord and Power and Glory. Faces went over with Hogan and Warrior remaining. I was expecting a Heel turn from Warrior at this point, but i was fourteen, what did I know? Of course, this was the year of the Gobbeldygooker! Hector Guerrero at his finest hour... in other news, hell freezes over. They had this egg for most of the time building up to the PPV and it hatched on the night, was it a model? Was it a Wrestler? No! It was a dancing bird dancing to a rock version of "Turkey in the Straw". it sucked. Thankfully we had the debut of The Undertaker to leave it's mark on the PPV that year.

1991: This was uneventful to say the least, with firings and injuries changing the card left right and centre. It was a successful year for the prodical son of the previous years PPV, The Undertaker, who at this stage had dumped Brother Love as his manager for Paul Bearer. Slotted in against Hogan for the main event spot. Undertaker tombstoned Hogan on a steel chair thrown in by Ric Flair to pick up his first title in the company. Sadly, he'd drop it two days later on "Tuesday in Texas" another PPV which managed to suck more than this PPV, and it managed to do that! This also provided the buildup to Shawn Michaels solo run as a heel as he walks off on Janetty during his match.

1992: By this stage the elimination matches were a thing of the past, as it ended up as a bunch of singles and tag matches with one elimination match of two tag teams, neither of them of use in the WWE by this stage as Dibiase was wearing down and IRS was nothing without him. Nastys, Earthquake and Typhoon had all outlived their use and the Beverleys never got over. This marked the PPV debut of Yokozuna as well as the first time Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels faced each other on a PPV (they had faced each other a couple of times between 1990 and 1992, including the first ever ladder match, but thats for another article!).

1993: After the previous year, it was time to go back to Elimination matches, Perfect no showed for the PPV after being drunk off his ass at the time and was replaced with Randy Savage while Michaels subbed for Jerry Lawler on his team against the Hart Family (Lawler got sent off because he was brought up on rape charges). This match was the initial push for Owen Hart as a heel, but it would take a little while for it to kick in. A couple of good matches but the PPV was crap in general.

1994: Known as a dark period for a lot of fans as the start of the "New Generation" era kicked off at this stage. Bret Hart drops the belt to Bob Backlund (and then in turn, drops to Diesel in 8 seconds! shortly afterwards) A brilliant match with an ending so dragged out and bloated it needed to be seen to be believed! This was also the show with Doink and 3 midgets went against Jerry Lawler and 3 midgets (Dink, Wink and Pink vs Sleazy, Queezy and Cheesy), and stank up the joint for the best part of 20 minutes!

1995: Bret Hart V Kevin Nash III! Michaels pretty much had the Main Event slot for Wrestlemania 12 so this was going to be the dream match setup. And Nash was almost bound for WCW anyway. Michaels was pretty much hitting his stride as a singles wrestler and Hart was working his ass off again now that he'd had the belt again. 1995 was a bad year for WWE but this card hid it pretty well. We were also back to 5 on 5 elimination matches which needed to make room for the singles match.

1996: This is noted for two reasons, the first being the classic return for Bret Hart after taking six months off to negotiate with WCW, as he went against Steve Austin who was getting pushed rapidly. The other is the debut of "Smilin'" Rocky Miavia! Yep, this is where the Rock started and boy, did he ever look gay for his debut but he ended up being the remaining survivor for his team. Also the PPV debut for the fake Diesel and fake Razor Ramon. Don't ask, don't even ask! Shawn dropped the belt to Sid that night in one of the worst moves in WWE history, thankfully they came to their senses and gave the belt back to him at the Royal Rumble.

1997: And need I say any more? The now immortalised and infamous Screwjob! If you need an explanation, then you're not a wrestling fan! Canadian fans still talk about this event with a bad taste in their mouth. The rest of the event though was pants and the highlight of the night was shown on both the Best of Confidential and Wrestling with Shadows. A history maker it certainly was though.

1998: The Deadly games tournament! As we're introduced to the PPV debut of the one and only Gillberg! Complete with sparklers! Tough competition for Mick Foley as he makes it to the finals only to be "screwed" by Vince McMahon and The Rock, as a backlash to the previous survivor series. The unibrowed head of Vinny Ru was reared once again, leaving it's mark on this PPV.

1999: With Steve Austin's neck playing up again, he was taken out of the main event at the last minute and thrown in a storyline where a mysterious assailant ran him over with a car. Triple H thinking it would only be a one on one encounter with The Rock, wasn't the only one surprised as the world watching stood in shock when we saw The Big Show coming down to the ring announced as Austin's replacement. It wasn't half as shocking as the fact that approx 15 minutes later, he WON the damn thing! Putting an end to anyone giving out about the fact that Paul Wight wasn't being pushed!

2000: One year later and the storyline reveals that Rikishi, was the one driving the car who nailed Austin. However it was provoked by HHH which lead to the showdown. The end result would be Triple H escaping while Austin getting beaten down by the Radicalz. The beatdown wouldn't last, unknown to Triple H. As he was getting into his car. Austin had picked it up and dropped it from approx 40 feet. Possibly one of the most bizarre endings for a Survivor Series since 1997.

2001: Winner Take all! This is the event that eventually killed the WCW name when all the titles were unified, well... most of them. As the main event was a 5 on 5 team elimination with both champions on each side of the team. Test won the Battle Royal where the winner would be untouchable for a whole year. Team WWE beat the Alliance to end the whole inVasion angle once and for all. It would also be the last time we'd hear Paul Heyman's voice announcing on a PPV.

2002: The first WWE PPV involving Eric Bischoff and he made his presence felt in the form of the Elimination Chamber. Triple H, Booker T, RVD, Chris Jericho, Kane and Shawn Michaels were all in the running for the World Title. However halfway through the match RVD, who didn't have enough room to do the Frog Splash from the top of his chamber, mistimed the splash and the result was the throat and chest of Triple H being crushed by the knees of RVD. On the positive side, it shut Triple H up for about two weeks. Shawn Michaels was victorious and the World title was his (for a grand total of one month before dropping it back to Triple H at Armageddon).

Phew, and thats some recap! Hope i didn't bore everyone here :)
    Nero.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Good post Nero.
    So which year was your favourite?
    And what are your expectations for this years SS?
    (Mine was SS 2000)

Was definately not expecting HHH to get drop on his ass from 40 feet.
    My sis and I were sitting there going "What the F*&k just happened! Even my Dad look interested for two minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Mine would probably be Survivor Series 1991. Pretty much because I can't stand Hogan and watching him getting screwed by Flair and The Undertaker was too good to be true. Granted I was 15 and I didn't know any better at the time. But damn, the memory was still in my head for years afterwards.

I also remember sleeping it out for school because i'd stayed up until 3am watching it live.

My mom was always supportive though, and wrote me a sick note on the grounds that i went in for the second half. Good deal sez I ;)

As for this years SS. I don't have much in the way of expectations and i get the feeling it'll wind down my weekend (as I'm off to see Tommy Tiernan live on the Friday 14th). Nothing against the workers, but seeing (yet another) McMahon dominated main event doesn't fill me with much confidence.

Nero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

whitch mane event
    mcmahon undertaker
    mcmahon kane
    mcmahon(hhh) goldberg

even with these matches i see this being a good ppv
    and i think at least 2 of these matches will be good

Someone said (Nero I Think) that Vince will beat Taker!?!
    And that Taker will come back as the Deadman!
    Not very interesting.

Ambulance Match! Same Ol Same Ol!

HHH V Goldberg - Isn't HHH headin off soon? Or did that already happen?

Im lookin forward to the old fashioned SS matches.
    Coach is gonna get his ass kicked either way during the post match interview. That Kangol hat should be shoved you know where!

How in the f*ck is Team Angle gonna beat those five Huge Men?
    Did they get a replacement for Farroq?

Wasn't me!
    Vince is meant to beat taker and he'll go on a hiatus to return at probably No Way Out to set up for his last match at Wrestlemania.

And Calloway recently started in an interview that he will, in fact, not be re-using the dead man gimmick. Hopefully that quashes all the rumours once and for all.

John Cena is to replace Ron Simmons on the face side of the Smackdown team.

HHH is meant to be getting the belt back off Goldberg soon enough, either at Survivor Series, or else Armageddon. HHH headed off but still makes taped appearances and are screened on the Titantron (eh Gilly, where in the blue hell have you been these days?)

Nero

• Advertisement

Sorry Dude. Thought it was you!
    I would have liked to see the Deadman Persona return!

Been missing a few Friday & Saturday nites as i'm doing up me house at the mo!

Who are the five members of Team Angle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

angle, benoith, bob holly,bradshaw and cena
    Vs
    big show, lesner, (g)a(y)-trane, nathon jones and mat morgan(i think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I've missed a lot of wrestling lately!!!

Nathan jones and Bob Holly are back?? Is that good or bad???

And who's Matt Morgan??

Matt Morgan is one big mother f*cker!
    6ft 10 and about 250lbs!
    Build like a sh*thouse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Does he have long hair?? Coz if he did,then maybe they could use him in the "return of the deadman" angle,another underfaker, if you will.

• Advertisement

No. Clean cut chap with blond hair and a smig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

well said

Bret took 6 months of to negotiate with WCW? I've never heard of this before. I know he took time off, but I figured it was because he was after spending the last few years of his life on the road.

any links?

Yes i know about the eventual negotiations that took place but I didn't think they started until at least a few months into 1997.

Originally posted by smiaras
    There was a documentary on this and the screw job can any1 remember what it was called, it'd be worth getting your hands on.

Uh...yes I have seen it. Did you even read my original question? I was merely asking about the time taken off before SS 96.

Wrestling with Shadows was set AFTER this time and I didn't think that the negotiations with WCW started until a few months into 97

• Advertisement

Originally posted by smiaras
    Sorry about the double post but the six months thing seems to have a lot to do with the Michaels/ Hart backstage feud. heres a bit more about it http://www.wrestleview.com/info/faq/brethart.shtml

ok this still doesn't answer my question. I KNOW he took time off prior to SS 96 but Nero said it was due to contract negotiations with WCW.

The first time, he took six months off to whinge about having to drop the belt (he was pissed off about being a transitional champion for five months from Nash to Michaels. By the time April/May came along, Ted Turner and Eric Bischoff approached him to sign a contract (Basically Hart was the original plan for the third man for the NWO in Bischoff's eyes, if memory serves me correctly). Bret Hart said "9 million" to try and throw them off and to his shock, they said sure... when can you start?

So Hart is stuck in a dilemma (and this is all well documented on Wrestling With Shadows), However McMahon offered him a 20 year deal for a lot less money. Hart swore loyalty to McMahon for everything he had done for Bret and took the deal. Stating on RAW the night he came back that he would be with the WWF forever.

One year on, Vince wanted out of the contract, regretting listening to the fans and claiming that he couldn't afford it. Bret now had the reason to jump to WCW.

Survivor Series 97 came along, smiaras already summarised what most of you already know and the rest was history.

Sorry i couldn't clear this up earlier... I really hate Eircom right now.
    Nero

Advertisement