Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

network problems again

Options
  • 07-11-2003 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

this keeps happening at random some days the network works some days it dosnt
    today it isnt working
    so 2 pcs connected over a crossover cable
    1 pc is 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
    the other 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0
    both in the same work group
    atm they cant see each other or ping each other
    im realy confused at this stage
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

one of the network cards may be dodgy. otherwise, your settings all look fine :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

well i have 2 spare cards and i tried using them but got the same problem
    when i set the second pc to get its ip automaticly it picks the wrong subnet (255.255.0.0) it used to pick the right setting, i have it set manualy now but maybe that gives some hint as to what is going wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

What IP address is it picking up when you have it set to obtain automatically?
    Does it time out when you ping?
    Have you tried another cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Are you using ICS(internet connection sharing) between the two computers cause that screws me over every now and then with the same problems your describing...... I dont think ICS allows u to chose your own IP addys for the clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

dont be using Dhcp on a small network like that. If you are using ICS, then manually put in the info into the second pc

• Advertisement

ya im using ics and i have tried manually putting in the info , i have also tried disabling ics but that didnt help

when i do set it to get an ip automaticly it picks something like 169.254.86.37 255.255.0.0

when i try to ping the other pc it says its unreachable
    and i dont have another cable to try but windows reports that there is nothing wrong with the cable

i think i fixed this problem in the past by swapping around network cards this made windows make a new network connection its no on number 5 i guess it would be a good idea to delete the old ones does anyone know how?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

I suspect both machines are win2k. When you enable ICS on one machine, goto the other machine and put in network settings

ip: 192.168.0.2
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: 192.168.0.1
    dns: 194.125.133.10

thats the way I had it setup when I was on dial up and using ics

those setting didnt work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I used to have a setup like what you have and it was always a bitch to get working. Here is what I used to have:

PC1 [Has modem in it]
    IP: 192.168.0.1
    default gateway: // I left this blank i think
    dns: // I left this blank i think too

PC2 [No modem]
    IP: 192.168.0.2
    default gateway: 192.168.0.1
    dns: 192.168.0.1

Sometimes I had the network crash, only happend twice in a year, a restart of both PCs at the same time always fixed the problem. When i updrade or did a format and reinstall on the PCs it was alwayd a bitch to get back working again.

I just went into itDirect and bought a D-Link 8 Port switch for €48 and thats made it al leasy now. Id advise getting a switch. Worth the money.

• Advertisement

well it just started working again it probably is a loose connection with the crossover cable ill buy another one thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

I use setup described with ICS enabled and the client PC just has dhcp - works fine most of the time but in the event of a glitch I disable the network connection on the client and re-enable seems to cure the problem.

I think the master PC (one managing internet connection) needs to be running for client to get its IP address using dhcp.

Advertisement