Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of duty radeon GFX card problem

Options
  • 07-11-2003 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

I got this today and apparently a lot of Radeon card owners are having a great deal of problems with compatibility with this game

So just as a troubleshoot for people that are having problems with crashing on the the car ride level of the game heres the solution

1) Disable VPU recovery

2) Turn off Antialiasing and antistropic filtering

3) Turn off fast write

if this doesnt work downgrade the drivers to the 3.7 catalyst drivers, if this doesnt work your fe'd apparently

Regards
    Shin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I actually posted about my problems with CoD on my radeon on th eother CoD thread but ill post here too. I had the same problems, but i found if you put the games settings on "optimal settings" it seems to run okay. But youre not getting the maximum graphics out of the game which is a pain in the ass when youve forked out $350 for a f*cking graphics card.

Just to update ont he call of duty debacle, now the truck ride level wont load unless you play it in safe mode, 800x600, with all gfx options on th elowest value. So far this morning CoD has crashed my computer FOUR FU*CKING TIMES in under an hour. Ive just sent a strongly worded letter to Activision. Fight the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Very strange, im on the truck ride level no crashes as yet, it was crashing on the car ride level everytime i loaded that level and all I did to correct the problem was disable fast write, but all I have is a radeon 9600 pro

Does anybody sense a disturbing pattern with the high End radeons, the 9700 and the 9800 pros, just been reading alll about the problems on another forum, hope it isnt an anti competitive thing by nvidia ET Al

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

when i installed it and played it for a while, i had to restart the pc because of stupid crashes that made the monitor turn off. the carride level crashed aswell, but i took off fast-write and turned aa off and put af down to minimum. after i got through that level, i turned everything back up too full. everythings running fine now, all settings at max (including af and aa and fast write) at 1280x1024, im on the american level after you finish the russian campaign and no crashes yet...touch wood. oh and i've got a radeon 9700 pro, with the 3.8 drivers. im in the process of getting the 3.9's to see how they'll do

Originally posted by shinzon
    Very strange, im on the truck ride level no crashes as yet, it was crashing on the car ride level everytime i loaded that level and all I did to correct the problem was disable fast write, but all I have is a radeon 9600 pro

Does anybody sense a disturbing pattern with the high End radeons, the 9700 and the 9800 pros, just been reading alll about the problems on another forum, hope it isnt an anti competitive thing by nvidia ET Al

Shin
    Well i could play the opening part of the truck ride level, but when it loade dpart 2, it got to the click to start screen, id click, and id hear the truck driving along, but it was still stuck at the loading screen!! I ran the game in safe mode (800x600 all settings at min) and it loaded the second part, then when i got tot he air base i thought, "Sod it, ill put the gfx options back up and see how it goes" so i did, and it worked for a second and then froze up. Im getting new drivers from the ATI website to see if theyll help, but tbh this is ridiculous, having these kind of troubles running a game thats based on ye olde quake 3 tech, on a gfx card like a 9800, 9700 et al, especially when you consider i can run Q3 with all options to max with no problems!
    As for an anti competitive thing, i doubt it, why would a company purposely alienate an entire portion of its consumer base (i.e anyone who owns a radeon) like that? All it would do is cost them sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Downloaded these tonight and i have to say that it does boost the performamce of call of duty somewhat, still have to disable fast writes though to play it

hell of a lot more stable than the 3.8 as well, homeworld 2 looks the business as well

Shin

Halo still plays like a dog though

Originally posted by shinzon
    Downloaded these tonight and i have to say that it does boost the performamce of call of duty somewhat, still have to disable fast writes though to play it

Nell of a lot more stable than the 3.8 as well, homeworld 2 looks the business as well

Shin

Halo still plays like a dog though
    I got em tonight, and CoD seems to be running alot better with them. Ive (fingers crossed) not had any crashes so far, and im up to the russian campaign. Red square r0cked

Advertisement