Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV BB - Is It Any Good

• 07-11-2003 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

ok, I have had a few problems with getting signed up to the serviceHERE , althought I just today got an email confriming my acctivation date... 11/11/03

Now I wonder, reading around, are UTV any good?

I have been using their standard service, but this is a whole new kettle of fish, much more technical AND A 1 YEAR CONTRACT.

Can anyone out there actualy using their dsl service let me know if its any good?

I have heard and read about a few pple getting dial up speeds? Is this the norm and how quickly/effectively have UTV delt with stuff like this?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

To my knowledge UTV are running with a 3 month rolling contract not a 12 month contract. Unless that has changed recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

the 3 month contract is for there 180hrs standard dialup

there bb is 12 months

I honestly thought it was a 3 month contract for broadband as well. A couple of friends of mine have called them about clicksilver recently (in the last 3-4 weeks) and were told that it is a 3 month rolling contract.

I will have to call them to confirm. Unless its been changed recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by machalla
    I honestly thought it was a 3 month contract for broadband as well. A couple of friends of mine have called them about clicksilver recently (in the last 3-4 weeks) and were told that it is a 3 month rolling contract.

I will have to call them to confirm. Unless its been changed recently.

Are you sure you're not confusing it with netsource? It says on the Clicksilver website 12 months min contract. Which is why I won't be going with UTV, i'll be going with a provider with a 1 month min contract like Nildram have.

Who is Nildram?

• Advertisement

No its definitely UTV I'm talking about as I'm currently with Netsource and plan on changing to UTV (partly due to UTV 3 month roling contract). I have a couple of friends on UTV's dialup service who rang them and asked about getting Clicksilver. They were told that Clicksilver had a 3 month rolling contract. This was in the last 3-6 weeks. That is not to say they haven't changed their terms and conditions in the meantime of course.

Netsource have a 2 month rolling contract. Although you can't get them as a residential user anymore.

Not sure who else does a 2-3 month rolling contract.

Just looked up Nildram. Northern Irish BB provider. So unfortunately for anyone south of the border we are stuck with resold Eircom products...

http://www.nildram.net/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

LOL a 150GB cap with the nildram DSL1000 and DSL2000 services. Eh just makes you wonder what the hell is the point.

Bad news machalla UTV FAQ

What's the minimum contract period for ClickSilver?

The minimum term for this service is 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    LOL a 150GB cap with the nildram DSL1000 and DSL2000 services. Eh just makes you wonder what the hell is the point.

Uh no. Only on the 'cheap' 1 and 2 meg services are capped (and it's nearly 20 times the cap Esat and UTV have!). Even the premium 1+2 meg services with no cap are still cheaper than the equiv in ROI! I don't have any need for more than 512k dsl, same as the majority of home users.

Buggery. That will put a spanner in the works if thats the case. Will have to call UTV to confirm. Looks like it from the link.

I wonder if its something to do with the fact that my friends were already on the UTV dialup service and were going to upgrade. Will let you know if I hear anything different.

Aren't we all so lucky to have Eircom as a benevolent monopoly..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Its just a thought on reading these posts but what does it say about a Company that ties you in for 12 months? And again reminds me of a constant thought of mine lately though no one seems interested in it as I have posted about it elsewhere and that is in buying dsl from anyone we are buying a pig in a poke theres no standards guaranteed and very little you can do about it when your so tied in! Is there anything else that costs so much about which you can do so little I wonder?

Car insurance springs to mind.

So if this is the case are there any DSL providers in the Republic who still do a less than 12 month cotnract and for what products?

I called UTV to check that out for definite. The website is correct. It seems Eircom demand a 12 month contract so therefore UTV do the same.

Well the only service offering less than 12 months is netsource, but they are no longer accepting residental customers.

I am migrating from UTV's dial up service, and I still have to sign up to a 12 month contract.

I should be set up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Waiting a month now and still no broadband, getting fed up, been told now theres a problem in the exchange.
    What a load of crap. If I don't have it by Wed/Thur think I'll just go with Eircom.

Who are you ment to be joining with?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

UTV Yipppppppppppeeeeeeeeeee (Not)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭huh!

12 month contract ok, but is it any good??

At the moment the speeds on Clicksilver are as good as they have ever been I am getting a constant 400 on giganews and badnwithplace.com test. (Before the October fix I was only getting about 100 on these on average) Gameplayers appear to be having ping probs but I dont play games so I cant comment.

but if you read the various threads you will see that it took a lot of screaming and hollering to get UTV to recognise that there was an ongoing problem and get it solved so you pays your money and you makes your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

UTV Yipppppppppppeeeeeeeeeee (Not)

Jazus another one :confused:

I love these constructive contributions!

Dub 45 has a point but I'm still a UTV fan.

Jazus another one

I am not quite sure what the point of Valentia's comment is to be honest.

Zep is reporting his experience and I am reporting mine.

There is not doubt based on the evidence here and in the support group that UTV are not what they once were.

I was one of their biggest fans (even turned down the offer of a free connection to Esat to stay with them for Clicksilver) but anyone who fails to see their recent and very demonstrable shortcomings has their head stuck in the sand or else does not want to see them - and such blind loyalty while admirable in one sense in the longer term does not do UTV any good as it stops them facing up to their real performance which just has not been good for lots of people sad to say.

I'm still a UTV fan

Valentia as there are people here trying to make up their minds it might be more useful to say why you are? and the fact that you used the word still suggest that even you an ardent fan must have had difficutlies with them? :)

I love these constructive contributions

In what way was your contribution constructive can I ask? :)

Theres no great requirement anyways on here for every post to be constructive is there and why should a post be constructive for constructiveness's sake?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I'm bored with the droning dub. Mabye it's just me but I think you've made your point, again & again &........

Who was the person that started the thread on the UTV newsgroup that asked Carl to look at the posts on Boards. I wasn't happy at the time. UTV sorted the problem ( or should I say their provider did). I'm happy now. Can I do anything to make that clearer.

Head in the sand, blind loyalty???? Get a grip for God's sake. Do you have the vaguest idea of what it must be like for the BB providers ( & the country) to be held to ransom by one provider?

As I said before your love for taking your problems out on a public forum is interesting. I did ask before, a long time ago, did you ring them?

n e way that's the last time I'll be tempted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As I said before your love for taking your problems out on a public forum is interesting. I did ask before, a long time ago, did you ring them?

As someone who is (unfortunately) STILL having these speed problems, I have tried mailing them - first their support group, then Martin himself but although I'm trying my best to be patient, the response time is very poor (eg: the last mail I sent - in response to questions I was asked - was Thursday night, but I still haven't received a reply yet).

Unfortunately I can't really spend all day in work on the phone chasing this down either - and it wouldn't be much help anyway I'd say as I'm not at the affected PC to do Problem Determination.

I'm thinkin I'll give this back-and-forth another week (we're gettin close to 6 weeks now) before I try cancelling (because I'm still not gettin what I'm payin for) and goin with another provider. :(

Who was the person that started the thread on the UTV newsgroup that asked Carl to look at the posts on Boards. I wasn't happy at the time. UTV sorted the problem ( or should I say their provider did). I'm happy now. Can I do anything to make that clearer.

I was the one who started that particular thread here in the hope that it would get UTV active on it (and it worked thanks to your good self transferring it into the group) as UTV were not responding to posts in the group and not just from me mind you.

UTV had ignored the fact that there was problem basically since the clicksilver service started. If I recall correctly Carl's response to your request went something like this we are aware there is a problem I will sit down with AN. OTHER to discuss it.

This was three months on mind you and hardly denotes any uregency on UTV's part. A further week went by with the group reaching a crescendo of annoyance and literally pleading for some acknowledgement from UV with several people threatening to walk and then there was a response from UTV saying that the respondendt had 'not noticed' the thread. Was it a coincidence that the problem was suddenly given full attention when people expressed their anger by threatening to leave?

If I recall correctly you were sceptical in the support group of people' s problems with clisksilver before you got it yourself and then you experienced for yourself what other people had been putting up with. Would you have been so sanguine about UTV if you had been putting up with those speeds for three months?

There is absolutly no onus on you to read my posts. In this case someone is looking for advice I gave what I consider a reasonably balanced report on my experience to date with UTV. To my mind the yearly amount of approx 600 euro that people will spend on broadband whoever they get it from is fairly hefty investment and they are entitled to all the adivce they can get before they make a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Dub45 does have a point , and a valid one at that .

It also does seem that constant posting seems to be the only way to get their attention.

I can also see it from Utv's point , they are stuck with trying to provide a service through to us from 2 different telecom companys , nevadatel and eircom , and all the hassle that goes with that . I just wish they would be a bit more upfront like they used to be .

I have been posting in newsgroup about ping issue's , and it coinciding with the newfound d/l speed , to the point where I just gave up , cause I couldn't get a straight forward answer .

John.

I can also see it from Utv's point , they are stuck with trying to provide a service through to us from 2 different telecom companys , nevadatel and eircom , and all the hassle that goes with that . I just wish they would be a bit more upfront like they used to be

I would make the point that UTV are a business and like any other they are out to make a profit through providing a service.

I feel that once they decided to enter the dsl market (with all the structural problems attached and which they knew about in advance) then the onus is on them to provide a proper service to their customers.

Once your are in business its not an acceptable option to simply blame your provider.

UTV take the money therefore its their responsibility (or any other similar company) to provide the service and that as I understand it is the legal postion too from the consumer point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

Originally posted by Wanton
    I am migrating from UTV's dial up service, and I still have to sign up to a 12 month contract.

Think I'm gonna go with clicksilver aswell.
    Only problem is I only want it for 3 months.

Whad'ya reckon the chances of cancelling the contract are after 3 months?
    I suppose the only way is to say you're not satisfied and want to cancel...... any other alternatives?

I wonder how the Companies actually enforce the 12 month thing has anyone any experience of it? A guy I heard about recently was having great trouble even making the initial contact with eircom's bb service in spite of spending ages on to their support line and when he decided he had enough and contacted them to take it away they told him there woujld be a 150 euro charge. Even though he had never actually succeeded in connecting to the service! I suppose in theory at least eircom could get at you through cancelling your phone line!

Why do you only want it for three months? Sorry if that seems nosey but it seems to me that you will probably spend at least one of those months waiting to be connected no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

I'm outta here in Feb, going travelling so won't be able to afford to continue paying for it.
    No doubt Id be lucky to get connected in early December, but I'm prepared to pay the setup charge just for 2/3 months use.
    Reckon I'd reach the 8gig cap within the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

I signed up for UTV before this whole special free modem deal and 8gb cap and everything.
    users who signed up before and had a 5gb cap they also have the 8gb cap now?
    Thank you

• Advertisement
Advertisement