Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punk Section?

Options
  • 07-11-2003 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭

Do you think there should be a Punk Section?
    there is a hip-hop and rap and classical, why not punk...
    anywho
    post and cast your vote peeps:D

Do you want to see a punk section? 43 votes

Yes!
    0% 0 votes
    Nay!
    60% 26 votes
    .... what's punk?
    39% 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Me didn't vote...I think if there would be a punk section..It should be a sub section of the rock/metal..and that forum should be changed to rock/metal/punk. Punk is one of the many subsiduaries of rock...yIt would get to complicated cause there could equally be a Goth forum, an indie rock forum, etc.
    Me isn't wholly opposed to this tho.......just mentioning it:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I'm all for more forums in the music selection, but I doubt a punk forum would take off. I feel adding it into "Rock/Metal" would be the best idea, as Sauron suggested.

If this goes through though, an alternative/indie rock forum will be my request.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

emm yeh sure punk section deserves a place i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

yeah good idea, will keep that punk crap out of this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

I dont think there should be a punk section of its own, it could go in this section once its good punk, any bad charlotte should not be allowed under any circumstances!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by Sauron
    Punk is one of the many subsiduaries of rock...
    agreed, however - jazz is the mother of all non classical modern music in the world today and it dosnt have a forum of its own so it looks as if there is very little point in trying to apply logic to the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Judging by the amount of discussions on punk were actually have here, no... I'd say there's not really enough intrest for it. I mean, there is the odd thread here, and if there isn't enough people to make it interesting, why on earth would it deserve its own forum?

Tell you what... Why dont you actually START a few punk threads, see the interest, maybe even build some interest, and THEN start asking about a new board. It makes sesne, you realise?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

well its not like its a life changing situation so why not ?if u dont wana post there then dont

It's not a fact of not posting if you dont like it, it's the fact that boards is getting bogged down with so many new boards, many of which aren't all that usefull at all. Personally, I think the water should be tested before splashing in, if you get my meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Tell you what... Why dont you actually START a few punk threads, see the interest, maybe even build some interest, and THEN start asking about a new board.
    Ok

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Punk is a subgenre of rock/metal, I don't think it should have a forum of its own, if that was the case we should have a forum for thrash, death and melodic death metal, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Vlad Drac

Change the name of this forum to rock/metal/punk ...
    Problem sorted :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I don't think we need a punk forum...punk fits under 'rock'. I think people may be slightly less willing to post begin punk-based, trad-rock-based, grunge-based etc. threads than metal oriented threads because the forum is called Rock/Metal, and therefore feel the forum is reserved mainly for metal music. BUT, if the forum name is changed to Rock/Punk/Metal, there may be requests to add all the other sub-genres of rock to the title, and the forum will end up with an unrealistically long title. Leave the name as it is, Metal appears to be the most popular sub-genre of rock amongst Boards posters, and therefore deserves a special place in the title *grins broadly and sweetly*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Originally posted by Scarlett
    I think people may be slightly less willing to post begin punk-based, trad-rock-based, grunge-based etc. threads than metal oriented threads because the forum is called Rock/Metal, and therefore feel the forum is reserved mainly for metal music.
    This is exactly what I thought when I first saw the Rock/Metal board. Never posted here or even looked at it much because it seemed to be filled with posts about Metal. Although if there was a board called Punk or even Rock/Punk, it's safe to say there'd be more threads about punk than any other genre. It's just the impression one first gets of what a certain board is about. Chances are punk isn't going to get it's own board, but I think that metal should be taken out of the name of this one. Leave it with just the title Rock, and that should even out the genres discussed here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭lena

I'd have to agree with Ro there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yup, get that three chord garbage away from Metal, where folk learned to play their instrument :D

Lads... In all fairness, there's no use complaining that Metal is taking up most of this forum, when you yourselves aren't posting about other 'Rock' genres.

This board is here for all genres and subgenres of rock and metal, and there's no bias towards any specific genre either, just because it seems Metal is getting the most posting does not mean it's completely reserved for metal posts. The fact that you admit your own inhibitions about posting says something about this situation.

The floor is open to anyone, so untill you do get a punk board, why dont you post about the latest Less Than Jake, or AFI?

this realy ****s me off.

i agree - make it either rock/metal/punk or rock. or possibly alt.

i really hate musical snobery (see doc js comment about "3 chord gabage"). this level of childish "mines bigger than yours" is just plain sad.

i enjoy punk because of its sheer simple energy. i like that people dont have to be able to play their instruments brilliantly to pick em up and play an energetic punk song that makes them feel good. btm, many punk musicians are masters of their craft and i've heard a good bit of metal in which musical compitance is less than zero.

sure its nice to hear a 14 minute guitar solo and some nice double pedaled bass drums, but i find that a punk band can get just as much power feeling and pure aggression into a 34 second track.

and the reason there is lots of post about metal is that quite a few fans of metal are over-weight nerds who sit infront of their computers all day - i know i'll get backlash for that but it had to be said.

i vote for a punk forum and if not a secion of a forum or something.

i'm not trying to poo poo metal or slag its fans.

as less than jake says - all my friends are metalheads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Lads... In all fairness, there's no use complaining that Metal is taking up most of this forum, when you yourselves aren't posting about other 'Rock' genres.

This board is here for all genres and subgenres of rock and metal, and there's no bias towards any specific genre either, just because it seems Metal is getting the most posting does not mean it's completely reserved for metal posts. The fact that you admit your own inhibitions about posting says something about this situation.

The floor is open to anyone, so untill you do get a punk board, why dont you post about the latest Less Than Jake, or AFI?

but because it is called Rock/Metal, some punk fans might not want to enter for any reason but if it was nenamed or there was a punk forum, people would know its there then and so post....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by quank
    but because it is called Rock/Metal, some punk fans might not want to enter for any reason but if it was nenamed or there was a punk forum, people would know its there then and so post....

That arguement is about as redundant as, lets say, a fan of action films not posting on the film board becuase it was called the 'Film' board. But if the action fan had an action board, then maybe he'd post!?

Ridiculous.

Action HAS to be a film
    its not necessarily the same with punk to rock

Why is everyone so caught up on labelling music? Music is music, the only categorisation to be made is "Good" or "Bad".

Rock, Metal, Alternative, Glam... who gives a shyte what the Sony corporation says it is? If you like a band, put up a post. Don't hold back because it doesn't say "Post 70's Neo-Classical New Wave Alternative Punk in C#".

Originally posted by Doctor J
    Rock, Metal, Alternative, Glam... who gives a shyte what the Sony corporation says it is? If you like a band, put up a post. Don't hold back because it doesn't say "Post 70's Neo-Classical New Wave Alternative Punk in C#".

Nail.
    Hammer.
    Head.

head.
    up.
    ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

To be honest, Rock / Metal is a Metal board by the majority. With the inclusion of Metal in the title, it has formed into Metal discussion than anything else (Ro: maaan! really hit the nail on the head there). It has taken off as a Metal board, and its hard to change that through the public eye.

When there are sixteen posts relating to metal (out of twenty) on the first page, its just not appealing enough to make a thread about, say, the new Lightning Bolt album. There should be a fair place to post. It would be nice to have an even rock resource, or better yet, designated forums for the four main rock styles.

Take Metal out of the title. Theres no reason why metal should be getting a place beside rock; it stems from the same thing. Just like punk, alternative, experimental, indie etc.

No-ones asking for a "Post 70's Neo-Classical New Wave Alternative Punk in C#" forum or some crap that doesn't exist. Just a fair place to post.

So then can we create sub-levels in the metal area, you know, Speed, Thrash, Black, Heavy, Power, Death, Grindcore, etc etc etc etc etc

Categories mean nothing. I thought punk was all about fighting this kind of bullshyte. I guess the music industry won after all???

Good Music - Black Sabbath, Weather Report, Death, Cynic, Miles Davis, Ramones, Motorhead, Mull Historical Society, Robert Johnson, Canned Heat, Beatles, Supersuckers, Mudhoney, Megadeth, Kraftwerk, etc :D

Bad Music - Westlife, Britney, etc etc etc :(

That's all there is.

All these stupid categories were created by the business side of the music industry in the late 70's so record shops could strategically place music in lumped groups and target specific markets with the aim of making more money. Does that sound like punk to you?

nothing to do with fighting the power - only "fighting" for a place to discuss a music genre we like in its own forum.

maybe the question is not whether punk should get a forum but rather why metal is put on equal terms with rock (ie: this is the rock/metal forum) when it is a sub part of rock just like punk.

I couldn't give a damn what it's called. If you like a band, put up a post. When I saw it first, I assumed the name Rock/Metal meant Rock through to Metal, incorporating every subgenre thereof, in the same way an encyclopedia would be labelled Capernicus/Edison...

Perhaps, so that Industrial/Goth/Indie/Alternative/HardCore/AOR fans don't feel alienated we should change it to "Slightly overdriven to largely distorted guitar based music"?

I think we should appreciate what Angelwhore said here - "It's not a fact of not posting if you dont like it, it's the fact that boards is getting bogged down with so many new boards, many of which aren't all that usefull at all."

If it has got a loud guitar in it, post it here.

• Advertisement

why cant this forum be called "Rock", i dont understand why Metal can be up there in the name..... just so unfair
    HARUMPH!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement