Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punk Section?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The name of the board isn't an issue. Metal, despite having Rock roots, is its own definable genre. The arguement to change the name because Metal originates from Rock is a completely redundant one, because Rock originated from Blues, so hense why not change the title to Blues!?

Are there going to be Hardcore fans who would a Hardcore forum, because the supposed Punk board doesn't seem to incorporate it, or might feel put off by the majority of regular punk posts? Or then Grindcore fans being offput by the then Hardcore board... Where does it all end?
    Or more importantly, where is this leading?

If you did indeed want to post about punk so badly... Then the question really is, WHY THE HELL AREN'T YOU POSTING ABOUT PUNK!?!

You've all been told on this very thread that this is the place for it, and frankly I'm sick of trying to encourage you. If you dont want to post about punk, or very well make a change in this board, then I dont see why you would would deserve a punk board...

Especially when you've made it so very clear that you dont want to post about punk even after being several times that this is the right place for it, and being quite politely encouraged to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    The name of the board isn't an issue. Metal, despite having Rock roots, is its own definable genre. The arguement to change the name because Metal originates from Rock is a completely redundant one, because Rock originated from Blues, so hense why not change the title to Blues!?

........................................... why not?

:ninja:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

OK for those of you who think that think there should be a Punk forum...

Compare and contrast this for me:
    Punk and Rock
    Grindcore and Metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The name of the board isn't an issue. Metal, despite having Rock roots, is its own definable genre.

You could say the same thing about punk or alternative.

The arguement to change the name because Metal originates from Rock is a completely redundant one, because Rock originated from Blues, so hense why not change the title to Blues!?

No, not at all, because styles like metal and punk have nothing to do with blues. Over time, rock developed into a genre where alot of emphasis was put into pushing the boundaries of music, and it eventually moved away from blues, thus creating styles like hard rock and punk. They, in turn, developed metal and new-wave respectively.

Are there going to be Hardcore fans who would a Hardcore forum, because the supposed Punk board doesn't seem to incorporate it, or might feel put off by the majority of regular punk posts? Or then Grindcore fans being offput by the then Hardcore board... Where does it all end?

Thats a bad analogy. While Hardcore and punk are related, punk has nothing to do with metal other than stemming from rock, so you expect us to post about punk in a developed metal forum? Sorry about it being unappealing and all, but imagine posting a lone thread about metal in a punk board. Wouldn't that be great?

I'm not even a big fan of punk. In fact, I listen to more metal than punk. But what the punk fans said in this thread really came to my attention and I agree that it should be fair for all, as well as being a better resource for all rock styles.

Originally posted by f®eak_s©enery
    so you expect us to post about punk in a developed metal forum?

I still dont see how, that if someone has no reservements to post about Jethro Tull in this board, that anyone in their right mind could have qualms about posting anything Punk. It just screams childishness.

I expect people to post about ANYTHING even remotely rock-related. Be it anything from AC/DC, The Sex Pistols, or the most obscure metal band on the planet, then this being firstly a Rock board, and metal second, they are perfectly justified in doing so without critisism. Although critisism towards a band is obviously a given freedom, but not critisism as to the extent of "You shouldn't post that here!"

I personally, do not rule out any form of music, and as far as punk goes, I've been to many a local punk gig, and listen to a fair few bands. AFI being the most recent of punk bands I enjoy.

As for if I was posting about Metal in a punk board, again you're just ignorantly pidgeonholing this board as scrictly metal, and are being too lazy to try and change anything in the way of posting about punk. An unfair comparison really, as a 'Punk' board says to me that it is labeled as such, and metal simply wouldn't fit in, whereas punk being a subgenre of Rock, you're perfectly entitled.

The question still stands, that if people want to post about punk, why the hell aren't they doing it after being told several times that they're fully free to do so! It's ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

This board is pretty much a metal board, technically the rock/metal bit implies that it could cover Queen, Springsteen, Aerosmith as well as bands like Jet. And realisticly that doesn't happen.

I agree with the suggestion to call it just alt, it's short and it covers all the music that we're talking about. Because lets face it, while Avril Lavigne is considered rock to many people, I can only imagine the tyrade some fool would get if he posted about her here.

On the flipside to that, I can quite imagine what the majority of punk fans would have to say if she was posted about on a punk forum.

And just to clarify something...

On the first page of the rock/metal board alone, we have discussion about Guns'N'Roses, The Darkness, A Perfect Circle, Jethro Tull... Not the most 'meta'l bands ever, now are they?

And it just goes to show when a thread about the new G'n'R album gets nearly tripple the replies of a thread about the new Slayer DVD, that the ratio is pretty well matched.

One of the most active threads in recent times was a discussion about Led Zeppelin... Again, not the most 'metal' band of all time, but it clearly overshaddowed most other metal threads at the time.

And there was also a very, very active poll about Queen Vs. Guns'N'Roses.

So please, dont say that it "Realistically doesn't happen."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 angmaar

look. metal is crap. lets face it. it's dead. any 'metal. band now are old punk bands (the best). gbh, discharge, disorder, deadkennedys et.al. are all alive and well in kerrangs pages. how many metal bands have covered 'sick boy' by gbh.

punk is a phenomenon as big as rock and roll and betlemania and BIGGER than metal. it's pure jealousy on metalheads immature side.

and while i'm at it, how about an 'oi!' forum. where would we be without the skinhead? all thes 'new punk' bands re pure ****ty pop. of the britney culture. there is no energy any more (unless you live in england).

SYSTEM OF A DOWN ARE PUNK. nothing else

good luck

Angmaar... Dragging up a *YEAR OLD THREAD* is very bad indeed!

• Advertisement

really. so what's all the 'new punks' doing? making money. thats not punk. 'punk aint no religiuos cult, punk means thinking for yourself'. dead kennedys--'nazi punks,F..K OFF'

what's your idea of punk. i'd love to hear

Avril Lavigne.

Well hardcore punk! Best of the best. :rolleyes:

and by hardcore punk, name the bands between 1980 til the present day that you like (and no cheating ;) )

avril is cool. she wears her clothes well enough to be called a punk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

i dont really think its needed cos there dont seem to be the interest. if i'm wrong in sayin so, then prove it by all punk fans overrunning the rock/metal board with punk threads an force the mods to open a punk board. take some affirmative action instead of complainin...

Avril Lavigne.

Well hardcore punk! Best of the best. :rolleyes:

as a fat little man once said "you go to hell, you go to hell and you die" :D

end communication.

please dont mention mods on any forum. we skinheads did them at brighton a long long time ago. punk needs a forum. its been around to long not to have one. they try to ban the pistols..........and look what happened. no manufacturing there.

the only reason modern day mods never made it is because weller is conservative.

from a ska - loving punk!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I voted for it, and I don't think metal fans and punk fans are interested in the same subjects. I used to be into metal, but got bored with it becoming more about image than substance. Punk is more inclined to have a strong social agenda behind it and for this reason I think it should be seperate from this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

dont get me wrong, i'm a huge fan but a punk forum will just have a sh*t load of kids talkin bouts "how bleedin deadly good charlotte are"

and that might start putting people off posting cos of all the teeny bopper punk ****. gimps that i work with think busted are punk :mad: cos they dont look like yer bog standard boy band even though that exactly what they are.

Yeah, but if they're just beaten with huge mohawk clad hedghogs they will burn off and the discussion will turn more to politics/issues/PUNK ROCK BLOOD GIVING stuff :) Also, I can't see how the poll returning a cote of 2:1 in favour hasn't yielded a new forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Ren0

i didn't think anyone actually liked punk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

PunK04 wrote:
    dont get me wrong, i'm a huge fan but a punk forum will just have a sh*t load of kids talkin bouts "how bleedin deadly good charlotte are"
    So what? Lifestyles of the rich and famous is a cracking tune. Official.

• Advertisement

the reason why you don't hear any more good punk bands (or any good guitar band that sounds punk) is because of all these pratty pop idol things that are popping up everywhere.

at the moment in england, kasabian are huge. they are playing the xfm gig (headlining) in london in december. the gig is sold out! and they are awesome.

and yet hardly anyone knows them over here???????????

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Redleslie2 wrote:
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Ren0

Redleslie2 wrote:

Go back to your Smash Hits magazine.

(and less of the bad rep u excuse for a music fan)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I think that there should be a seperate punk board cos you cant talk about punk bands here cos there are too many anti punk metal heads that all they do is give out about punk.

E@gle. wrote:
    I think that there should be a seperate punk board cos you cant talk about punk bands here cos there are too many anti punk metal heads that all they do is give out about punk.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

if i was to post a thread about lets say Mundy where should i do that? ok id prob go rock\metal but would def get a backlashing, ditch the punk idea and just call this one rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I didn't realise punk was so big on categorisation, I thought it was only the corporate record labels and high street rip off merchants who were so eager to give everything it's apporopriate little label. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

ditch the punk idea and just call this one rock
    Pretty much agree. As much as I'd like to have a punk board, I don't think it'd work out all that well anymore. As I said when this topic was brought up last, year just take metal out of the title of this board...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Ren0 wrote:
    Go back to your Smash Hits magazine.

(and less of the bad rep u excuse for a music fan)
    Ooooh get her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

dregin wrote:
    Also, I can't see how the poll returning a cote of 2:1 in favour hasn't yielded a new forum.

Ahh, you confuse this place for a Democracy. In fact you'll find we all elect our ruthless leader DEVORE every 4 years. And he maintains an iron grip on "What will be done."

But realisticly, you don't want a punk forum anyway, it'd just be empty most of the time. They should just call this forum Rock/Metal/Punk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement