Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play-by-email games?

Options
  • 07-11-2003 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if there's any decent play-by-email games out there. I remember a few years ago there was a cracking game called Battlemail Kung Fu, where you'd pick your attack and defence options, your opponent would do the same and then you'd get to watch the fight as a little flash movie. It was brilliant, but to my dismay battlemail.com is no more. :(

So, anybody know of anything in the same vain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Laser Squad Nemesis. Turn based X-COM game. Well, semi turn based. Each 'turn' you decide your moves for a given slice of time. You (and the other player) then email your saved game to the server, which calculates how things work out and emails you back the results. It's supposed to be quite good.

I have vague plans of getting into PBEM Civ3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    I remember a few years ago there was a cracking game called Battlemail Kung Fu
    heh, i've got that game on my phone (siemens c45)
    only played it on practice mode thusfar

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Really? Is it the actual battlemail game on the phone? I don't suppose it gives a web-address or anything? :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

"To play multiplayer BM via SMS visit www.battlemail.com/
    wap.battlemail.com for unlock code"
    doesn't seem to work...

fairly entertaining game for a few minutes on singleplayer, i'd love to play a game via sms...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.google.ie/search?q=email+chess&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=

email chess :)

great fun and last years per game if your that way inclined.
    (7 years one game with my bro went on for ,by post and then email he won)
    kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

There really arent that many good Play by Email games out there anymore, if you google for play by email you'll get lots to choose from but alot of them arent very good

Xcom play by Email was very very good alas the servers shut down and it is no more!! :(:(:(

by the sounds of it you want to be playing online multiplayer games maybe check out yahoo games they might have something you like.

I'm trying to put together a boards.ie play by Email game atm
    its play by Email games but you post your turns etc on boards.ie

I've just finished the test game in the RPG section and it proved to be successful so depending on how many want to join up and who wants to play i'll be running more RPG play by boards games in the near future.

Check the RPG section for further details
    Thanks
    AL][EN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭cr1spy

Alpha Centauri (the semi-sequel to Civilisation) is great in play by email.

All the thinking and turn based-ness is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Do you have any details on it Cr1spy??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭cr1spy

A friend and I used to play it. We were thinking about about starting it up again.

Need to find the CD though. A good rummage through a messy room is needed.

It plays the same as the normal game, simply sending the data back and forth.

Very good and addictive game in single-player, the multiplayer side just makes it harder and more personal.

Advertisement