Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrishBroadBand (IBB) Ping on Three Rock ?

• 08-11-2003 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Anyone on the 3 rock ?

My pings to the DNS are dreadful for sometime now and I cannot play online games anymore.

Anyone else having the same problem ?

Thanks
    uteotw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

tallaght tower here.

last night pings <220 to the gateway server (first hop away). i was rightly pissed.

edit:
    current pings
    Ping statistics for 217.114.166.147:
    Packets: Sent = 41, Received = 37, Lost = 4 (9% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 70ms, Maximum = 499ms, Average = 209ms
    Control-Break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

wow m8 ive breezehome plus 512k upload/download
    with irishbroadband
    it was good for the 1st week
    but now its crap just like yu i cant play online games now download speed is crap too
    the company use the excuse of contention
    crap my contention is 8:1
    but my connection now is brutal
    im thinking of dropping it
    not reliable thats the problem

well, even though my pings were bad, i could download at 300k-350k ish. not bad considaring the min is 64k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

:rolleyes: I just cant understand whats hapened to the service provided by IBB seems to go downhill after a week or two of signing up and more and more people are having the same problem i've noticed I really hope the sort it soon for their sake.. :rolleyes:

Pinging 62.231.32.10 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=246ms TTL=56
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=245ms TTL=56
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=243ms TTL=56
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=242ms TTL=56

far from good, but this would probably be just about playable.

Ping statistics for 62.231.32.10:
    Packets: Sent = 24, Received = 24, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 264ms, Average = 60ms
    Control-Break

• Advertisement

its funny the way ive read lots of people having this problem after the 7 day cool off period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    min contract 12 months!!:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Sorry to boast there lads but for all the slaggin eircom gets their ping never changes....

512 dsl...........

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ping 62.231.32.10

Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=61
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=61

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 25ms, Average = 24ms

:)

sorry to boast lads... but IBB is uncapped. for only e50 a month for the 8-1 contention, and 35 a month for 2-1 contention :-p

how do i do that test yu guys are doing with results displayed

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

Eircom might appear good but 4GB capped up and down... no thanks.... I can use 4GB in weekend !

Anyway.... since my post things went great over the weekend, always under 20ms.... perfect for gaming but since monday morning all is crap again. In the mean time IBB gave me some new IP which I changed monday night but it's still the same crap.

Tonite is terrible !

C:\>ping 62.231.32.10

Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=507ms TTL=60
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=305ms TTL=60
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=341ms TTL=60
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=801ms TTL=60

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
    Minimum = 305ms, Maximum = 801ms, Average = 488ms

I must be 1 mile max aways from the transmitter.
    I emailed back and see what they say.
    I think anyone with crap ping should email their support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

Also if things don't improve in the very near future then everyone with a ping problem should email http://www.odtr.ie to complain.

But again when I look back at the way they handled the whole broadband deployment and pricing in Ireland I don't think it's ran by people who have the customers best interest in mind.

IANOC > open a command prompt and type

ipconfig /all to find out about all your network settings.

and

ping 62.231.32.10 or whatever your getway and DNS IPs are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by uteotw
    Also if things don't improve in the very near future then everyone with a ping problem should email http://www.odtr.ie to complain.
    What are the ODTR going to do about it? Absolutely nothing. Why? Because Irish Broadband don't guarantee latency, only bandwidth. So, unless you are downloading at lower that 8k a second, you have no cause for complaint.

I'm on Irish Broadband too, and have had serious problems with the RTÉ mast since day one really, but I stuck with it in the hopes that it would get better. Well, a year later and it's still the same. I'm looking forward to ditching them if / when I get DSL installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

My pings are terible as well...

Apartment is like 300 meters from ths SIAC transmitter, I can actually see the antenna from the balcony.

Again, the service was fine for just over a week, then it just went horribly bad, 200ms pings to the default gateway.

downloaded the 100mbfile from the FTP server and getting 65kbps, and am getting a feeling that Im gonna be told that, "this is within the agreed contended limit of the service"

Its apsolutely crap for online games.

If it doesn't improve Im gonna cancel the Direct Debit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Originally posted by dieselfreak
    My pings are terible as well...

Apartment is like 300 meters from ths SIAC transmitter, I can actually see the antenna from the balcony.

Again, the service was fine for just over a week, then it just went horribly bad, 200ms pings to the default gateway.

downloaded the 100mbfile from the FTP server and getting 65kbps, and am getting a feeling that Im gonna be told that, "this is within the agreed contended limit of the service"

Its apsolutely crap for online games.

If it doesn't improve Im gonna cancel the Direct Debit.

Thats exactly my complaint with IBB also LATENCY crap pings to uk & some other european game servers, I have to dialup to get a descent ping :0
    and in the same neighbourhood as you dieselfreak and can clearly see transmitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

I'm also on the siac tower and my ping times are all over the place:

Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=156ms TTL=58
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=145ms TTL=58
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=135ms TTL=58
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=242ms TTL=58
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=590ms TTL=58
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=292ms TTL=58
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=82ms TTL=58
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=113ms TTL=58
    Reply from 62.231.32.10: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=58

Did anyone notice that the Siac towers link to INEX is via Tallaght and 3rock? Are these wireless links as well? Are the latency problems cumulative?

well after all the problems ive had since the install, just the weekend gone i had great pings and excellent download speed
    the best since i got it really
    it seems to be up and down now again but i hope its beacuse of traffic or something to do with IBB testing or changing things
    fingers crossed......!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by uteotw
    Eircom might appear good but 4GB capped up and down... no thanks.... I can use 4GB in weekend !

aha but I heard its going upto 6GB during or around christmas.... (dont hold me to it). Anyway I can get around the cap if needs be

I remember playing games with a chap on IBB, he had spectacular pings, better than most UK players on UK servers !!! Is it only certain access points that are suffering from bad pings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

had a fine connection for the last few months of the RTE Transmitter (north facing side) but just over a week ago it started acting up and can get very slow at times

previous to this it was always really good - could be slower during the day but quick enough evening/nights - it was very rare to slow down to a crawl at any stage - but now it can really slow to a crawl for long periods of time day or night

anyone else of the RTE Transmitter having problems at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭incubus

yes i am DubWireless, been particulary bad the past few days! Massive pings and slow downloads

Packets: Sent = 74, Received = 74, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 159ms, Average = 27ms
    Control-Break

Tallaght tower, and its been like this for the last 3 days or so. i hope it stays like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

OK ok....All these people complaining about pings etc.

As a possible customer of IBB home breeze (and I know I've posted about this before but I'm still researching!) can you rate the service based on downloads alone?

I am not into online gaming and so don't really mind about bad pings but the download speed is what matters to me.

To all those people who are saying it's dreadful service, I've read IBB guarantee a certain speed of download (~25K a sec with breeze) so if it's consistantly crap why not get out of your contract that way?

Also, what do you regard as 'bad' in terms of download speed? Constantly low speeds or never getting very high speeds?

I'm just really wary of all the people saying that the service is fine for the first week but then once they're out of the cooling off period you're faced with bad service.

Oh and....highly important.....can you pay via credit card or is it DD only?

Cheers!

Originally posted by chabsey
    As a possible customer of IBB home breeze (and I know I've posted about this before but I'm still researching!) can you rate the service based on downloads alone?

been fine since the start of the year, don't do online gaming either just regular web / email, bit of streaming and downloads every so often

just over a week ago started to experience a lot of slowdowns, don't kown what's causing it, contacted IBB about but they didn't say there was any problems at their end - hope it gets back to the way it was as I was very happy with the service until the slowdowns started...

hth,
    BrianG

Firstly, as for rating speeds, it should be rated over a timeframe, e.g a week.

Over a one week period you will have slowdowns, which could be speeds as low as 10-15kb's; and you'll also get fast speeds, 60-62kbps in my case.

Averaging the speeds over a 1 week period, i'd be getting at least an average of 40kb's. Considaring the minimum on home breeze plus is 512/8 (64kbps, as its 8-1 contention) that is quite good, over 4 times the minimum. I find that quite acceptable.

While it would be much preferable to never get those slowdowns, i still would recommend them sincerely.

BUT, as for pings, they seem to flucuate more than a fat man's weight after he takes a dump. Some days its 27ms average to jolt.co.uk, others its averagin 600ms.

All in all, i would recommend them as a downloading service, as its uncapped, and relatively fast. Ok, you see Eircom users saying the get constant speeds of 60kb's, but please remember their cap for a month can be downloaded within 2 days easily, if you wanted. So while you may get an average speed of 40kb's with IBB, you can still download about 20 times what they can in a month, without breaking a sweat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Hi,
    Jumping in on this as I hope to get Breeze Home at some point in the future. For anyone watching in there appears to be a lead time of about a month for a LOS survey. I, too, would be more interested in the downloading capacity of an IBB connection off the Tallaght tower but I'll just watch you guys for feedback.

Anyway, I guess the IBB network is giving TCP traffic (downloads) precedence over UDP (pings). Either that or it's just the inherent TCP protocol which is guranteeing data delivery (it's connection oriented vs UDP's connectionless 'fire and forget' strategy). I'm no gamer but I assume that online games will also use UDP for transmitting data. So for online gamers using IBB (or trying to use IBB) you might see if there is anyway you can configure the protocol used by the game. Or would there be any benefit in using a dial-up connection in conjunction with the broadband connection.

Just some food for thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

with the comparisson of eircom to IBB, why not go with esat? admittedly, yes there's a cap, 8gb, constantly fast d/l's, and brilliant pings (in games, cant check thru dos anymore :confused: lol).

(maybe diff for me, i only really use it for gaming, only have a 20gb HDD, so cant d/l all too much! :D)

I think your decision to get IBB should be more based on what tower you are likely to be subscribed to. 3 Rock and RTÉ seem to be having a lot of difficulty.

Personally my IBB experience (from the RTÉ tower) has been entirely different to that of Mutant Fruit. The fastest speed I have ever gotten (which was once) was 55kb/s downloads. My average speed would be ~20kbp/s - 28kbp/s. I have also been left for days on end with speeds lower that a 14k modem. (The longest period was a week. My ping was > 2000 and my download speeds were around 1 - 2kbp/s).

Even when it's exceptionally good for me, it still isn't great. My ping would be 100 - 200 ms and I might get 35kbp/s downloads. But that's just me. IBB seems to be a very personal experience. It could be good for you and crap for your neighbour.

when you say you average 20kb's, do you use a download accelerator. I know that at times, if i don't use one i end up downloading at as low as 15kb;s, but if i use one, i can usually get at least 25kb's.

No, I don't use an accelerator. I'm going to be gone off IBB in the next couple of days anyway, so a bit late to be starting now :p

In the words of wren.... "Stimpy, you idiot!"

At the moment i'm downloading at a mere 8-10kb's off the sygate.com server. So i decided to put on Getright, my favourite download accellerator, and guess what? I;m now averaging about 55kb's. This means the sygate server sucks ass, and getright fixes it up nicely for me.

Heres a before/after picture. The slow part was when i was downloading normally, the big red splotch was when i hit the nig green "Segment Download" button, and starting downloading from 4 sources.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by incubus
    yes i am DubWireless, been particulary bad the past few days! Massive pings and slow downloads

hi incubus, you still getting slugish connections? - i've had to resort back to dial-up to get a reliable connection over the last day or so :(

BrianG

Advertisement