Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrishBroadBand (IBB) Ping on Three Rock ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by DubWireless
    hi incubus, you still getting slugish connections?

just an update - IBB did a site visit this afternoon and i'm sucking diesel :D - back to a fast/reliable connection again :)

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

what was the problem? Had the antenne moved in the breeze?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭124124

.. thats the question!!

I live behind Tara Tower hotel (South Dublin, after Merrion), but apparantly my telephone line is pretty old and cant take the 21st centuary BB traffic, hence it failed the line test unceremoniously! :( That rules out any decent BB deals to me, and I am seriously considering IBB, but the personal experiences in here is not really positive. I hope I will be LOS to the RTE mast (as there's only a golf course between us and the RTE), but is IBB really that bad as it sounds here? Am I about to flush my hard-earned stuff down the drain!? Can anyone advice, please?!

PS: I am not into gaming, but into most other things - downloading, streaming, browsing, mails/chats/IMs, little bit of experimental personal server hosting and everything else that you can imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I'm on 512 Breeze on the Tallaght tower.
    Pings are back to being 200 - 900 ms for the last week after being flawless for the last month.
    I'll be breaking my contract unless they can guarantee a permanent fix, which I don't think they can.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I finally got off IBB last week after using it for 8 months. Switching to eircom in a week or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    what was the problem? Had the antenne moved in the breeze?

they didn't say what happened - just swapped out some of the equipment with new kit and configured it from scratch and got a perfect connection running again - at least i can stick the modem back in the drawer again :)

BrianG

Now i don;t know whether this is true or not, but i believe that since IBB have now been awarded one of those swanky new wireless contracts, they are changing to better equipment and upgrading their stuff too, so things should hopefully improve. you mihgt have gotten one of the new antenne things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Originally posted by 124124
    .. thats the question!!

I live behind Tara Tower hotel (South Dublin, after Merrion), but apparantly my telephone line is pretty old and cant take the 21st centuary BB traffic, hence it failed the line test unceremoniously! :( That rules out any decent BB deals to me, and I am seriously considering IBB, but the personal experiences in here is not really positive. I hope I will be LOS to the RTE mast (as there's only a golf course between us and the RTE), but is IBB really that bad as it sounds here? Am I about to flush my hard-earned stuff down the drain!? Can anyone advice, please?!

PS: I am not into gaming, but into most other things - downloading, streaming, browsing, mails/chats/IMs, little bit of experimental personal server hosting and everything else that you can imagine.

I have home breeze for the last 2 months, there was a bit of trouble with it after the first 2-3 weeks but it seems to be sorted now, my antenna wasn't aligned proper thanks to the wind but IBB sorted that out. It is ideal as a downloading package and average for gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭124124

Thanks for the comment, Hal1.

Meanwhile, after talking to a friend's friend for some inside information about eircom, they have now declared my line suitable for broadband!!! WTF, thought I will wait till they update their database and see what they all have to offer. I did read the stickies, however can someone tell me how much time it will take to get connected and going, after paying/signing up with eircom or utv?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

[slightly OT]
    owever can someone tell me how much time it will take to get connected and going, after paying/signing up with eircom or utv?
    i signed up for UTV cliksilver yesterday and it said i should be set up "within 15 days"..... time will tell. Someone else on these boards said they got set up within 6 days...
    [/slightly OT]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

Is anyone experiencing better IBB Pings tonight ? Three Rock Mast anyone ?

It's fluctuating a lot under 80ms with few jumps above 150ms , it even reaches 17ms but it's still not stable enough to garantee good online gaming experience.

4 weeks ago it was rock solid at 19ms / 20 ms and the gaming experience was then perfect... just for one weekend. It's now 3 months of crap in the mornings , afternoons or nights.

Today they seem to try to get their act together and finally do something.

Anyway I'm not going to settle for that fluctuating 50ms... I want 20ms stable all the time.

Come on people, let's refocus that thread on the IBB pings problem. We need more people to inform other about the issue.

Also, do they reply to you when you email IBB ? Because they seem to ignore me quite well.... not even an answer such as "we're working on it".

Please post about your Pings quality and your experience with their support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

This way we can see where the latency is being introduced.
    Should be able to then see if its the wireless connection or IBB's internet connection that is slowing the connection down.

Well it was short lived.... it was only "good" for 1 hour max... then it went back to its usual.

This morning is was even worse as the download speed was even under my contention ratio using a download accelerator !!! And I was downloading from a site I know can give me more than 8000kbps when downloading from it at work.

Here are 2 trace route one after an other

C:\>tracert 62.231.32.10

Tracing route to ns1.irishbroadband.ie [62.231.32.10]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 97 ms 38 ms 76 ms
    2 209 ms 218 ms 223 ms
    3 * 830 ms 534 ms
    4 188 ms 266 ms 419 ms
    5 431 ms 287 ms 231 ms

Trace complete.

C:\>tracert 62.231.32.10

Tracing route to ns1.irishbroadband.ie [62.231.32.10]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * 799 ms 473 ms
    2 712 ms 559 ms 650 ms
    3 423 ms 277 ms 301 ms
    4 505 ms 133 ms 73 ms
    5 507 ms 302 ms 182 ms

Trace complete.

I've deleted the IPs , I don't want IBB to flame me for publishing their internal network addresses.

As you can see it fluctuates a lot at every level.

Thats wireless for yah, I have the same problem with ping timings on IBB while gaming. It just seems rubish for gaming most of the time (but when I do manage to get a descent ping its about 130ms - 350ms gets very laggy). I get better on dialup, its not really a gaming package very rarely stable and pings fulcuate alot. Better with 1 of the others if you want a descent gaming experience so it seems. :(

I wont bore you with my traceroute report cause it pretty much the same as uteotw's btw I am the Siac tower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

The pings for me are fantastic. I'm on the Ballycoolin mast, and taking the €35 a month offer:

Pinging boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 16ms

Hal1 : I don't think this is a wireless specific problem.... in the early days of the technology may be but not these days. When it's working it's wokring great at 20ms (for me) or even less (for kamobe).

IBB have a reliability problem for the past 3 months (or more) and nobody seems to really know why.

Also, even on my netgear wi-fi router I get 20ms pings when all is fine... if my laptop was powerful enough I could play online games on it using wirelssly anywhere in the house and using IBB, but I just use the laptop for email, browsing and upload/downloads.

kamobe : how long have you been an IBB customer ? People posting in this thread and others seem to say that all is fine for a few weeks or months but after it just get terribly bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I've been using it for about 2 weeks now. It was pretty sh*ty at the start, I was getting TERRIBLE pings....

They took the service down there the day before yesterday, and now it's flying :) Speeds are great and the pings are unreal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by uteotw
    I've deleted the IPs , I don't want IBB to flame me for publishing their internal network addresses.
    The traceroute is a waste of time without the IPs.

And the internal network addresses are public information, so post away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

is there any relation between the bad pings/good pings and the weather???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by ando
    is there any relation between the bad pings/good pings and the weather???
    There isn't supposed to be. (Except when lightning hits either the transmitter or the receiver!)

• Advertisement

current pings at 9:03 saturday morning to boards.ie, ht best o've ever seen, and 100x better than yesterday.

Packets: Sent = 27, Received = 27, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 45ms, Average = 19ms

and the pings for now.... (17:11 saturday)

Packets: Sent = 32, Received = 32, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 488ms, Average = 161ms
    Control-Break

Thats unplayable for Counter-strike. I;m so p*ssed that i couldn't get time to play this morning

I've been on to them by email several times and there trying to do something but so far it's still disappointing. My pings were only good 2 weekends ago and that's it... overall it's better but still doesn't allow to play online decently on a regular basis.

All I can recommend is for anyone who's not happy to email and phone them and demand a fix, a financial compensation or you won't renew your subscribtion.

Anyone knows when the ESB Broadband is meant to be rolled out ?

i am really tempted to cancel the product if things don't improve by christmas. Seriously now, i've been a customer since early August! Since then i've had about 1 full month of great pings, and the rest have been extremely variable, sometimes getting below 100, most times getting over 500. IF something isn't done its just not worth 50 eur a month. This kinda service i'd pay 25eur a month for, cos its just too unreliable.

At times durung last weekend the speeds dropped so low i actually hooked my 56k back up to browse! and play a bit online. I got lower, and more stable pings, and faster browsing. on the broadband pings were more tahn 1000 and speeds simialr to that of 12.4k modem.

Well I'm back from my 2 week break abroad where I was able to use several broadband offerings (adsl, cable btu no wi-fi) from various companies and they are all unlimited and all work perfectly. Pings are just perfect and download speed are always near the maximum.

Anyway, here it's still the same story.... saturday night the pings were all over the place and download speed was crap. Today, sunday, it's quite good but I wonder how long it's going to last... stay tuned.

My connection to ibb has been down for almost a week now, tried ringing support but there still on their f****n holidays :mad: . wtf!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

IBB turned up at my house just before xmas to install. I live less than 500m from the SIAC building with clear los.

The install is not done by IBB but by contracted companies. The initial test went great, the signal strength/error readings were perfect even with the antena just lying on the roof. They then got the IP stuff up and running and were getting 20ms pings.

They said a few minutes to go, and after 18 months of trying to get dsl in this area I thought Christmas had come early.

Then ( I was watching over his shoulder) he setup the data rates/IP/contention ratio on the box. Pings immediately went haywire (25% packets dropped) regulary over 1000ms. There would be brief spells of "broadband" pings but the normal was now 500ms+.

After a brief phonecall to "technical support" they decided that there was a large transmitter blocking the signal, nothing could be done and they removed dish/cabling and left. This despite the fact that even when the pings were slow, the basic radio quality showed fine with a low errorcount.

Anyone living close the SIAC (Monastery/Castle/village area) got a deecent IBB connection with low pings?

pH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

yes my IBB connection is down also.
    and i have to say its a horrible all round package .only good thing i can say is no download cap.i want rid of it ASAP and ive been waiting to get it 4 a long time.
    im back to the good ol 56k for the mo!
    we should all get 2gether as a group complaint!!
    any yu guys interested

Guess what... ? My pings are crap again !

I wonder what good is unlimited download when the download speed is divided by 4 because of the bad pings ? I'm running at 260kbit right now when I was at 970kbit this afternoon.

Also, I've just noticed something.... they have removed the "gaming on line" mention from their "How to use broadband" page. http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/bb_at_home/home_prod.htm
    You can compare the current page with the screen capture I did on November 30th. See attached jpg.

I remember mentioning to an IBB technician in mid-november that "gaming on line" was false advertisment. I guess now that they've removed it from the page just confirms that they know they are providing a crap service with crap pings not suited for online gaming. Anyway, they advertised it when I signed with them.

I guess I'll talk to them one last time and depending on the outcome is I'll see if I send a complain to the odtr http://www.odtr.ie/consumer/default.asp?s=3&navid=34

• Advertisement

Well it's fixed.

They upgraded the antenna on the roof and the pings and download speed are back to normal.

I'm happy camper again.

Apparently when 3.5ghz wi-fi is rolled-out things will improve even more.

Advertisement