Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows longhorn under virtual PC

Options
  • 02-11-2003 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

MS released windows longhorn build 4051, which is still alpha, to the PDC last week. it is on the net at the moment on many P2P file sharing apps. MS doesent seem to mind many users using their alpha and beta software as it meens more bugs found. anyway, i have gotten me a copy and im now installing it on virtual pc. just some tips.
    1: when installing it, give at least 256mb ram. i have it 384mb.
    2: when it askes what OS your installing, i just picked other. windows XP may work, but i dident try it.
    3: it starts and install process, and then does a finding hardware part. this says it will be 10min. not sures if its VPC, but its closer to and hour and a half. i have read on some blogs that this is normal and it will be 10min when its non alpha.
    4: enjoy!
    Still installing it my self. i like VPC working with it as i dont have to reinstall windows and format the system i want to install it on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭lotas

just installed longhorn. it fully installed about an hour ago and have been playing with it since. it looks different. havent managed to get the windows to flutter around or transperancy working yet. must need a good graphics card for that. virtual pc has a S3 video card. anyway, VPC makes it a bit slow. i would install it on my full machine (dual athlon with 1gb ram) before i could say speed. though with them specs anything is fast :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I don't think Emboss is trying to say anyone should be embarrassed by having MCP qualifications, I think what he's getting at is that it's a bit sad to advertise the fact in your BB sig (unless it's a specific microsoft certification-related BB like certtutor or something). I'd imagine a large proportion of the tech board's readership are MCPs.

On-topic, I haven't had a chance to take a look at the latest Longhorn build, but I have to admit I was surprised at how stable previous builds ran for me. But it's only natural that we're not going to see much of the more significant improvements and OS evolution till later builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭lotas

Sico, i have my MCP in there because im in the programming section too, some times. and since im an mcp programmer, i might as well. as for longhorn, yea, i was quite supprised at it too. going to install it as my real os, not just under virtual pc. VPC cant get the 3d functions like the fluttery windows, or transperancy working because of lack of graphics card power (virtual S3 video card). just want to see if its a drain on power, and see how it reacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

What the f*ck has happened to this thread? Longhorn anyone?

Anyway, according to www.zdnet.com, its been put back until well into 2006. But who cares, as long as it isn't as vunerable to viruses as XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I'm putting this thread back (I think it came from here...) after removing all the crap because it could have been a vaguely interesting thread. If it goes off-topic and gets dumped again, I'm not going to ressurrect it. And for the doubters' information, I have been working in IT since the age of 14 (part-time obviously), so I also technically have close to 8 years in IT. It's not that uncommon or unbelievable.

I stuck LH on one of the machines here this morning to give it a go. It didn't take as long as I had heard - about 20 mins for the hardware detection stage, 40 mins or so in total. Slight aesthetic changes from the last beta I tried (I quite liked the old ghostly blue style actually :/ ) It looks like MS are continuing their vaguely responsible attitude in the desktop 2003 OS with ICF enabled by default, and various security services running (including what looks like a parental control system of some sort).

I haven't time this morning to give it a good go, I just wanted to have a quick look around. A bit slower than XP, especially on startup, but that is of course to be expected in an alpha. Some nice things to play with by the looks of things, I'll have to have a go of IIS7 later. The new IE is... interesting.

Anyone else having networking problems? I could only spend about five minutes messing around, but I couldn't seem to send packets past my router on the default settings with a static IP, it seemed to get around the local network fine though.

First impressions: nice...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by mr_angry4
    its been put back until well into 2006. But who cares, as long as it isn't as vunerable to viruses as XP.

[IMG][/img]http://www.cs.tcd.ie/Mark.Dennehy/images/Icons/offtopic1.gif
    Judging by all the the RPC holes and the IE holes I'd have to say that even win95/98 is less vunerable to viruses than XP - especially since you can remove IE from them and use Mirror / ERD & ERU to restore the boot files fairly easily ...

The reason I'm saying this is that you are looking forward to having something fixed that wasn't broken 10 previously.

Used to use VAX VMS about 20 years ago.
    While windows has adopted many features of that OS, I'm still waiting for files to have revision numbers and the PURGE command. FILENAME.EXT;N where N means the Nth save...

/off topic
    What is the current build number for longhorn ?

Advertisement