Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another surname thing

• 08-11-2003 10:56am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi- I know its sodding early on a Saturday morning but hey.
    Have been discussing this with quite a few people in a similar situation over the last 6 months and thought I'd stick it up here and see if any suggestions emerged.

Adopted people forfeit their original name, surname etc. when they are adopted- and the Registrar General issues them with "an extract of the adopted childrens register" which is legally equivalent to a birthcertificate- and used for similiar purposes. The main difference is that it has the adoptive parents listed as the parents, and is a short little green form- adopted people do not have long form birth certificates (well they're not given to us anyway). One way of checking whether the short form certificate (which is quite helpfully printed as a birthcertificate, not as anything else) is from that of an adopted person or not is to check the registration district (there is a unique registration district used for adopted people NC4)

If an adopted person actually managed to find their original birth certificate, with their original name, their original surname, etc- what are the legal implications of the adopted person using their correct name, and not that which was given to them at a latter. The long form certificate does state "To alter this document, or to utter it so altered is a criminal offence", we are not altering the document- we want to use our birth certificates as they originally were.

I have attempted to get an answer out of The GRO, The Department of Health and Children, and Adoption Board and from social workers attached to two private adoption agencies, without any coherent reply.

There are those of us who would like to have the option to use the name that our mothers called us, and feel it is our legitimate right to do so.

Your thoughts please.

Shane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Why not change your name by deed poll ? Maybe its not the exact solution require but its legally recognized.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We have no intention of changing our names by Deed poll or any other such method. We were born by our rightful names and should have the right to use our rightful names. In my own case while I was a baby I was baptised three times with three different names while my adoptive parents dithered over what they wanted to call me. My adoption order has one name crossed out and another over-written in pen (thanks to the lazy sod who didn't go and retype another one).
    Adopted people have the right to their identity- to know where we come from, to a heritage, to a sense of being. That is what is being denied to us. Our name is but a small part of the equation- a singnificant one though. That is what we are talking about. Deed poll changes do not enter any equations with us, we are fighting to use that which is rightfully ours.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by yellum
    Why not change your name by deed poll ? Maybe its not the exact solution require but its legally recognized.
    aye, that's what i'll be doing once i have €200 to spare...
    my father was adopted, i'll be taking on one of my mothers names rather than keeping a surname that isn't even in my blood.

I'll may have an interesting twist on the last one- my girlfriend is also adopted- what happens when we have children? Arggghhhh
    The insanity of it all.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by smccarrick
    Deed poll changes do not enter any equations with us, we are fighting to use that which is rightfully ours.
    tbh, if i were in your situation, i'd just go for the deed poll option, €200 would save you a lot of hassle...

• Advertisement

I have found my original birthcert- something I'm not supposed to be able to do under the 1952 Adoption Act, as has my girlfriend. I know my real name, as does she. Its officialdom who stripped us of our identity. Both of us have met our natural parents (I've not met my Dad), we know who we are, we know what has been hidden from us. To use a Deed poll name change would quite honestly gall us. Its not an issue of the money- its the whole situation- why should we? To be quite honest- I know of several adopted people who would quite happily attempt to use their real names even if it provoked legal action against us, we'd welcome the legal action- hopefully that would force change.

Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Are your [adoptive] parents both dead?

Neither of them are. Adoption is never discussed with them- and never was. My gf has lost contact with her adoptive parents altogether (and with her natural parents too unfortunately), I am on fairly good terms with mine. I've not gone looking for my natural dad at all as yet- I only found my mum a few weeks ago. Obviously she has a life of her own, where she never expected I would ever find her- and I am respecting her privacy. Its difficult, its not easy. Obviously there is a hell of a lot that I'm not even hinting at here.
    No, is the simple answer, my adoptive parents are not dead, nor are those of my girlfriend. I can guess the reason for your query- and simply- don't go there, there is a hell of a lot that I am not willing to discuss on a public list like this.

Shane

Advertisement