Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Messenger

Options
  • 08-11-2003 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Some help would be appreciated...

I thought I had done all I needed to disable windows messenger, but as soon as I went online this morning I had a mate of mine messenging me...what's up with that?

Can anybody give me an idea of what I should be doing?

Windows XP, SP1
    Windows Messenger 4.7

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

on one of the stickies - (here or on the security forum)
    there is a link to XP-antispy try it, also allows 10 downloads rather than the usual 2 at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

Go into control panel, administrative tools, services ->
    - scroll to Messenger
    - right click, then click properties
    - first stop it by clicking stop
    - disable it from the option in the drop down menu
    - click apply

That should stop messenger from ever running again ! :)

Wheeler_1028.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Windows Messenger 4.7

Are you getting confused between the messenger service and windows messenger?

I'm assuming you mean the messenger service, which would allow your friend to send you a 'popup' message.
    If you have turned off this service (and changed it to Manual or Disabled) your friend shouldn't be able to message you. Is there any chance he knows a password to one of your administrative accounts (you can turn on services remotely)?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Well, I think I mean windows messenger...

After I got the message from my mate I ended up chatting woth him for over an hour, using all the usual emoticons and all that. I downloaded the latest version of "windows messenger", simply to shut the bloody thing up from telling me I needed to download the latest version! Regretting that now. It appears to have removed an option from the preferences tab in the options menu on windows messenger, under general I believe there should be three options, I'm only showing two...

1.Allow this program to run in the background (unchecked)
    2.Show me away when I'm inactive for [number] minutes (checked)

I've also disabled the "Automatically log onto windows messenger" option in outlook express.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

Thats MSN Messenger you are talking about. Disregard my previous comments which related to Windows Messenger.

Wheeler_1028.

• Advertisement

Will do...

I should call it MSN Messenger, but its calling itself windows messenger. Talk about confusing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

it IS windows messanger.

MSN messanger is a copletely different download. :)

Windows messanger is only like v4.7, MSN is v.6.0

it is a bitch the way it logs you in everytime even tho it is disabled.

worse when you run both Windows and MSN together...one logs you out of the other :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Get rid of Windows Messenger and download MSN Messenger instead, it will have the option not to start with windows.

Originally posted by daveirl
    Bye-Bye http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

Will try that in the morning. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement