Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liam Miller

• 08-11-2003 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Seeing as hes sort of the player of the moment ahead of the Ireland V Canada game, i was just wondering what people thought was his best position? Ive seen him play in a few different places for celtic but i like the sound of him playing on the right and Reid on the left. Nice balance to it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The right is where i'd play him, after all we only have Steven Reid there who isn't the best player in the world. The middle should be sorted out before the qualifiers as Kerr has took a very good step in bringing Delap in and dropping Kinsella. I wish Andy Reid played somwhere else though.:mad:

Don't we have such a good team now! Given, IMO, is the best keeper in the premiership. Carr and Finnan are both always mentioned as the being in with the best right backs in the premiership. O'Shea won the sky sports youngser of the year award last year. Cunningham is the best centre half in the prem at the moment. Duff is one of the best wingers in the world. Miller is all over the papers and was quoted by Hedman as being the best 22 year old in the world (:)). And then we have the central midfield which, as I said, should be sorted out soon enough. And up front we have a 40 year old called Robbie Keane. Jaysus, If your man didn't retire from international and we had a good partner for Robbie we'd be flying.

We don't have much backup though and we have 3 forwards, 1 isn't getting his game and the other is in division 1. Also, Doherty is wasting space being in the squad. He is a terrible forward and hasn't got much experience at the back. I can see Duff, against the wishes of the fans, playing up front or behind Keane as we haven't got a good enough partner for Keane and Reid is in too good form to be left out.

With Kinsella, Carsley and Connelly out and Delap, Reid and Miller in the average age must be about 14.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I have to agree Eireboy, the future does look promising for the Irish Squad.

Just on a side note though, did anybody notice Alex Ferguson at the Celtic match last week??? Apparently he was supposed to be up checking out one of his players that was on loan to Anderlecht I can't think of his name but I do know that he didn't have a great game.

But the thing is, I found it very interesting that right after Miller was taken off, the camera cut to Alex Ferguson getting out of his seat and heading out of the Stadium!!! Hmmmm....interesting!!!

Miller in a Utd. jersey anybody???

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Utd are supposed to be watching miller and if he produces the kind of football he did in europe last week cosistantly ther will be a queue for his services. I read somwhere that he is out of contract next summer so he could turn out to be a bargain for some team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I hop utd don't get their greedy mits on him.
    Sky Sports.com on 8-11-03:

Celtic boss Martin O'Neill is confident that young star Liam Miller will sign a new deal at Parkhead.
    The SPL outfit revealed that they had opened negotiations with the player's representative and O'Neill revealed the talks had gone well.

"He's certainly in a good position. The talks with Liam's agents went very well," said O'Neill.

"But I've had to alter my original intention of getting him on a 35-year contract and make plans for a 32-year agreement instead.

"Everybody at the club wants him to sign an extension to his contract and my feeling is that he wants to stay at Celtic Park.

"It's a healthy combination while we try to accommodate Liam.

"We did have inquiries about him from lesser clubs while he was still waiting to make his breakthrough with us. But his performances for Celtic have been terrific and great for the crowd to watch.

"It'll be hard for him to maintain that standard but he's been wonderful."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    Miller in a Utd. jersey anybody???

B.

exactly what i was thinking, fergie likes his share of irish players and perhaps he see's miller as a replacement for keane in the long-term but also another option on the right short-term.

im a celtic and manu fan, i dont like seeing quality players leave celtic for a supposedly 'bigger club'. clubs are no bigger than celtic, manu perhaps. if miller wants to win trophies and play at the highest level he should consider manu.

spl is full of pub sides (i'd include rangers now aswell). i think the departure of ferguson and amoruso will destroy them. all they have is fans and noisy support, it helps but its not enough.

sure we've got carr, finnan, given, duff, keane, miller, o'shea cunningham, reid..... weve got no captain to cement everyone together. a flock of sheep is useless without a shepard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I think Cunningham is a decent captain. After him I'd give it to O'Shea or Duffer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Lads miller is a fine player but please to blow him up to be the next ...
    Robbie keane was in the same situation a year and a half ago and he has still yet to realy proof his worth of course im not denying his talent.
    But ireland do have a bright future as long as the talent is managed correctly and personaly i beleive it would be a good career move for miller to go to utd !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I agree that it would be a good career move for him but not at the moment with utd's overflow of midfielder's.

I also agree that the future is bright for Ireland if the youths are nutured properly. And no better man to do it than Brain Kerr. He was left with a crappy squad to finish that qualifying group. My guess is he will start with a clean slate now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Gilly2003
    "We did have inquiries about him from lesser clubs while he was still waiting to make his breakthrough with us.

I guess Utd have been after him for a while so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

John O'Shea as Ireland captain? Not likely.
    Originally posted by jonno
    I think Cunningham is a decent captain. After him I'd give it to O'Shea or Duffer

• Advertisement

"Robbie keane was in the same situation a year and a half ago and he has still yet to realy proof his worth of course im not denying his talent"

Prove his worth to who? I hope you don't mean éire?

"im a celtic and manu fan, i dont like seeing quality players leave celtic for a supposedly 'bigger club'. clubs are no bigger than celtic, manu perhaps. if miller wants to win trophies and play at the highest level he should consider manu." (Smemon)

Dude as a Celts "only" fan I say we need to keep millar. Utd can buy anyone they want anytime they want. They don't need millar - WE DO! Who the F*ck could we get instead?

Prove his worth to who? I hope you don't mean éire?

I hope you don't mean Éire either, surely you mean Ireland?

"im a celtic and manu fan, i dont like seeing quality players leave celtic for a supposedly 'bigger club'. clubs are no bigger than celtic, manu perhaps. if miller wants to win trophies and play at the highest level he should consider manu." (Smemon)

Dude as a Celts "only" fan I say we need to keep millar. Utd can buy anyone they want anytime they want. They don't need millar - WE DO! Who the F*ck could we get instead?

It's only Smemon, don't worry about him, noone round here pays much atention to what he says.

"I hope you don't mean Éire either, surely you mean Ireland?"

éire/Ireland/Irlande etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by syke
    It's only Smemon, don't worry about him, noone round here pays much atention to what he says.

LOL

I was going to reply to his post, but yeah you're right, why bother!! Nobody pays attention anymore!

B.

"I hope you don't mean Éire either, surely you mean Ireland?"

éire/Ireland/Irlande etc.

Not a good thing to say in several parts of this country :)

What with the couple hundred years of war etc.

Understood!

Tiofaidh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Who cares where national borders lie
    Who cares whose laws you're governed by
    Who cares what name you call a town
    Who'll care when you're six feet beneath the ground

Londonderry/Derry
    Eire/Ireland
    Get over it.

"Who cares where national borders lie
    Who cares whose laws you're governed by
    Who cares what name you call a town
    Who'll care when you're six feet beneath the ground

Londonderry/Derry
    Eire/Ireland
    Get over it."

I'm sorry but I care.

But this is a football discussion so I guess we'll stick with the football!

Bottom line: Celtic need millar! Utd don't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭DEG viper

what is the big deal in callin Ireland, Eire
    its just the name of our country in irish

"what is the big deal in callin Ireland, Eire
    its just the name of our country in irish"

Thank you! I thought I was losing it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Qadhafi

Miller played a good game against alderstein (or how ever they are spelt). However it must be noted that they arent the best of teams and it remains to be seen how he would perform against good sides. He is still pretty young. We'll all know if he is good or a complete flop in the next year or 2.

there are some good players playing for Ireland but it must be said that they act like a bunch of sheep. Scared of their own shadows and none of them have any no balls. Obviously Roy Keane leaving the side has left a MASSIVE hole in the team and its going to take a few years before anyone in the team can fill it. Our midfield is **** at the moment.

I dont think Ireland is any better than the team we had at Italia '90 or back in Euro 88. As noted by the various hacks that team was hard as nails. It may have not looked as good but we got the results. Today we are a tidier and maybe a bit better technically but thats about it.

whats this crap re: Eire etc. Is this not about Miller???????

I think Irelands best period was in the WC Qualifiers against Portugal & Holland etc.
    IMO if it wasn't for Keane we would have been destroyed!
    I agree with you Qadhafi that there is a massive hole left and i firmly believe that Miller is the man to fill it.

Every game i've seen him play in i've been impressed!

"what is the big deal in callin Ireland, Eire
    its just the name of our country in irish"

Thank you! I thought I was losing it!

Ireland is the Island of Ireland

Éire excludes the 6 northern counties and is a name for what is actually Republic of Ireland is the official name or Phoblact na hEireann in Irish.

Pedantically, "Éire" doesn't exist seeing as it more associated, historically with the old Free state.

now, I'll go back on topic :)

Miller is the first Irish player I'v eseen in a while with anything like the drive on the pitch that Keane has. Many Irish players have a great workrate but few seem to have the determination and sheer willpower to make something happen. Miller, from what I've seen has all of these. How many Irish player do you see kick themselves for not getting a good cross in or winning a ball when the team is already 3-0 up? Miller did it all last week. The guy seems to strive perfection, just like another Cork lad we all know and love (sometimes to hate).

Well said syke.
    My only fear is I thought the exact same thing about another cork man (Healy) who seems to have really gone off the boil!

i agree celtic need miller, never said they didnt.

im just saying if the man had a choice to stay at celtic or go to manu i'd understand if he left. anyway, it wont happen until at least the summer, fergie isnt gonna buy a player who has shone for just 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Originally posted by smemon

im a celtic and manu fan,

how can you support two clubs?
    I know they're from different countries - Man Utd being English and Celtic being Scottish [not Irish]

what'll you do if they meet in the CL?

I think, and I may be wrong here, that people feel obliged to support Celtic/look out for their results because of a misguided assumption about their "Irishness" - which really is quite spurious. I mean we complain about the English constantly harping on about 1966 but we forget that Irish Celtic fans are still going about Br Wilfrid and 1867 or whenever it was.

if you want an Irish club to support, there's plenty to choose from in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Qadhafi
    Miller played a good game against alderstein (or how ever they are spelt). However it must be noted that they arent the best of teams and it remains to be seen how he would perform against good sides. He is still pretty young. We'll all know if he is good or a complete flop in the next year or 2.
    I'm not sure what you mean by alderstein but I think you mean Anderlecht. I'm surprised you never heard of Anderlecht before if your a football fan but anyway they are a good team and they are just as big and play in a simila league as Celtic. Miller had a good game against them but the fans wanted him in the team from the moment the CL began. He also played about 25 minutes in the Lyon game and away at Anderlecht in which he played very well in both and scored against Lyon.

He was also on loan in Holland (I think) last season and the manager (who used to play for Celtic) said he should have been in the Celtic team a long time ago. He was the only second Irish person to score in the champions league (keane was the first and Duff the third). He captained the Irish U-21 which shows he is a good leader and he got banned for getting three yellow cards in the Euro Champs which shows he's not afraid to get stook in like a few Irish players I could name. He has never had a bad game so far and in every game i've seen him play 90mins he deserved man of the match. Hedman said he thinks he is the best 22 year old in the world and O'Neill said he would love to give him a 35 year contract he thinks he's so good. Will he be a flop? I don't think so.
    fergie isnt gonna buy a player who has shone for just 3 months.
    He paid about 12mil for an 18 year old who wasn't very well known of and thats a bigger risk then getting Miller for as lot cheeper. Also, he had to pay a few million compensation to Sunderland for signing Bellion.
    My only fear is I thought the exact same thing about another cork man (Healy) who seems to have really gone off the boil!
    Healy is still a good player he has just lost his determination and drive for some reason. Also, Martin O'Neill only gave Healy a few games and he was with them for years, he is giving Miller a lot more games which means he thinks he's a good player and he has proven that so far this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

United would be an ideal place for miller. He`d be able to learn from quality midfield players such as Keane,Scholes, Butt, P. Neville etc. Miller is the best young prospect i have seen in a long time. hes geting his game and scoring goals in the champions league. Hes movement off the ball is second to none.

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    United would be an ideal place for miller. He`d be able to learn from quality midfield players such as Keane,Scholes, Butt, P. Neville etc. Miller is the best young prospect i have seen in a long time. hes geting his game and scoring goals in the champions league. Hes movement off the ball is second to none.

I disagree, I think only Keane and Scholes could apire to really teach him anything. Celtic is the ideal place for him right now, as he gets to play guarenteed European football every season and is a first team regular with a supportive manager who knows how to nurture youth.

Miller still wouldn'tget a starting place in the CL contending teams and any other premiership team is a step sideways or backwards. At Celtic he plays and trains with top players, has a nice mix in quality of opposition (some teams are Nationwide 1st division quality, others are premiership) and he has certain European football.

Lets not jump the gun, as highly as I rate him he is still far form the finished article. He really needs to work on his first touch which often lets him down and he makes to many rash interventions (which highlight his first touch) and rash challenges which get him needlessly booked or conceed frees. This and another season at Celtic would turn him into another Keane.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth
    how can you support two clubs?
    I know they're from different countries - Man Utd being English and Celtic being Scottish [not Irish]

what'll you do if they meet in the CL?

if you want an Irish club to support, there's plenty to choose from in Ireland

there's that aspect of celtic that i like- the whole irish links thing. but mainly im a celtic because of their fight and passion. celtic park is the noisiest ground in the world when it gets going and the fans are undoubtably the best in the world.

if they met in the cl i really wouldnt mind who won. it would be an unusual experience but i'd be happy no matter what the score.

i'll support an irish club when the fai start to support them and get a decent league going. soccer in ireland is like gaelic, its just played so you can get one over on your rivals. theirs no real prize, only pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

A lot of people follow different teams in different leagues. i support Villa Roma Ajax Galatasaray and Shamrock rovers.

id prefer to see miller in the premiership than the SPL. its much more competitve he`d be practising against better teams than Dundee, Aberdeen etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭DEG viper

A lot of people follow different teams in different leagues. i support Villa Roma Ajax Galatasaray and Shamrock rovers.

agreed

Advertisement