Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Leeds go down?

• 08-11-2003 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

6-1 today. It just doesn't look good.

Yes I'm a Leeds fan.

:(

Will Leeds go down? 39 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 39 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I had to check that scoreline! :eek:

If the players continue to underperform then yes, in fact they could do a Sunderland and go into meltdown.

They have to get rid of the overpaid passengers and promote hungry youngsters from the reserves and youth side. They might'nt play much good football but they'll go down trying to win.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Being beaten 6-1 by a premiership virgin side is not a good omen. They will be very lucky to survive this season. if they do go down this season it could have catastrophic implications for their future

i wouldnt blame reid. i doubt even Alex ferguson or fabio capello could do a better job. leeds are now just sunderland with Alan smith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

if leeds go down i cant see them existing too much longer

im a villa fan, and i can see us going down this year unfortunately, but we have the infrastructure to survive it... leeds dont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I dont think leeds will go down cos if we are relegated i think there's a fair chance that the club will enter administration. I dont think we can afford nationwide football tbh

The papers are saying that Reid will be gone by the end of the week with a million pound pay-off...whats the point of that?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

If you go down - you still get a payment off sky for two years I think, so it might not be THAT bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

If Reid stays, Leeds will go down. They are a complete shambles at the moment, on and off the pitch. But who in their right mind would want to take them over ? Hmm maybe Mr Hoddle !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Its not Reids fault. How can you blame the manager. The team is in bits and if the players dont perform the results wont come. The team is a first division team and doesnt deserve to stay up. I don't blame Reid, I blame Ridsale (sp?). Leeds had a superb team and were 80mil in debt but so were Chelsea. The Ridsale sells all the best players and there still 80mil in debt. If they were still a half decent side maybe Abramovich would have taken them over and cleared their debts.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I think Leeds are a dead cert to go down. You have to look on the bright side though - Peter Reid gave us one of the funniest moments of the weekend, for anyone who watched The Premiership on ITV last night.

He had to restart his post match interview 3 times, and on the 4th attempt, the lighting system failed, and the whole room went into complete darkness.

Reid: "This just must be my f*cking day, right?"

Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

I don't think that getting rid of any of the players is going to help all that much. Likewise, getting rid of Peter Reid. Getting rid of the manager in a situation like this is just a cop out. The whole club is a shambles at the moment and it's going to take a whole lot more than replacing Reid with someone of lesser experience. Reid has been in this position before, he knows the players and he wants the job - so he must stay. A new broom does not always sweep clean. Just look at when Mick McCarthy first took over at Sunderland. Didn't they go something like 14 games without a win?

I think there's a good chance that Leeds won't go down. They're not dead and buried just yet - it's only November after all. It should be interesting to see how they react against Bolton (who are only 4 points ahead of them) in a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I feel sorry for Reid. He's taking a lot of flack for Leeds' situation but I doubt anybody could do any better. The players have no spirit and aren't playing like a team who wants to stay up should be playing. There is no conviction - it's almost as if they're resigned to relegation already. I can't see Leeds turning themselves around in the next few months, because the players clearly aren't prepared to put their heads down and work.

Reid came out and said that he won't quit Leeds, that in itself is worthy of huge respect. Few managers would stick it out with such a shambles of a club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

What I cannot understand is how with all the players leeds have sold over the last 2 years, they are now indebt by the same amount of money as they were 2 years ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭cr1spy

The reason Leeds are in such a large amount of debt is because of massive wages and transfer fees.

They may have raised large amouunts of money through player sales, but they're still in a tough position.

In their annual report just released, turnover was £50 million.
    The problem is wages account for 88% of that. Even adjusted for compensation payments to O'Leary and Venerables, wages still account for 77% of total turnover.

Therefore all the average, under-performing players at Leeds must be on at least 20-30K a week.

If the players really cared for the club they should offer to take a pay cut, like Vieri did at Inter.

(I'm a Man Yoo fan BTW, but I still think it's disgraceful what happened)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

I can only hope they go down as I stand to make a whopping EUR 13 (I bet 1 euro at 12/1 at the start of the season!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

with Reid now gone i would hate to be the poor bastard to get that job

Yep he's gone with the assistant taking the reigns for the moment (forgotten his name ...Something Gray I think!). Whats the betting Leeds win thier next game...?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Originally posted by James Melody
    What I cannot understand is how with all the players leeds have sold over the last 2 years, they are now indebt by the same amount of money as they were 2 years ago...

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leeds_united/3220109.stm

Leeds bought several players by securing loans to raise the money for their transfer fees.

In the case of Robbie Fowler, that meant repaying an £11m loan when United only realised £5m in selling him to Manchester City.

The club also continue to pay some of Fowler's wages and part of Danny Mills' salary during his loan spell at Middlesbrough, while McKenzie has revealed Mark Viduka was purchased on lease and that selling him would only realise a third of his £6m fee.

The wage bill was further increased by one-off redundancy payments of £7.2m, £5.7m of which was payable to former managers Terry Venables and David O'Leary and their coaching staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

In fairness, I think the poll should be "In what month will Leeds be relegated?

It's a matter of when, not if :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I have a feeling Leeds will survive. Maybe they'll do a Chelsea and get a Billionaire to bale them out. There's already been talk of some Billionaire Leeds fan from Saudi or something showing an interest. To be honest I hope this doesn't happen because it makes a mockery of the whole Premiership. It's bad enough that Chelsea are trying to buy the League without 2 teams with bottomless pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Best line about Leeds on BBC's Website

"Leeds United FC is an absolute disgrace. And it starts from the top.

I can't even laugh at them anymore. It's like watching a drunk man trying to pull his trousers up. Horrible. "

Couldn't have said it better meself
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

I don't think they'll go down. They have the players to stay up.
    It all depends on the manager they get.
    The players need to be motivated.
    At the moment they are just not trying.
    I think a lot of this has to do with the number of loan players at the club. i think it was a mistake to sign a lot of them.
    Reid had Leeds playing with a lot of Spirit towards the end of last season.
    He didn't build on that at all.

If they appoint Paul Hart what are the odds that Andy Reid and some others might go with him.
    MacPhail might even get his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

i dont think they will go down, there is still a long way to go yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

If (when?) they go down they will be in big big trouble, the premier league give clubs a parachute payment when they go down but its nothing like what the clubs in the premiership get. Also from next season any club that goes into administration gets 10 points deducted so leeds could become another sheffield wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I heard it was 18 points they would get deducted ? Maybe that's ballix.

Advertisement