Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about offside :

• 08-11-2003 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Lets say an attacking player is standing BEHIND the goalline (ie not on the pitch) when the ball is played to him and then comes onto the pitch in (what would normally be) AN OFFSIDE POSITION AFTER the pass is made .... is he still offside?

Someone asked me this question the other day and since I've never seen it happen I couldn't answer for sure. I reckon the player is still offside but what do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think you're not offside if you stay off pitch but are interfering with play the moment you step on.

edit> Just googled this www.wsoccer.com/history_and_rules/law11.htm

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

A similar scenario happened recently in a prem match and the goal stood. cant remember the match but i,m sure someone else will. By right a player who goes off the pitch of play need permission from the ref to return so it shouldnt happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

as said already you can't be offside when your not on the pitch and when a player recieves the ball from a goal kick he is not offside either. And Muppet, you don't expect having to ask the referee to get back on the pitch when you accidently go off.

And Muppet, you don't expect having to ask the referee to get back on the pitch when you accidently go off.

If a player leaves the pitch or re enters the without permission it is a foul and a free kick can be awarded. Of couse common sense prevails and a player accidentally leaving the pitch and coming back imediately goes unpunished but if as in the question asked if the player is standing behind the goalline he definitely needs the refs permission to return to the field of play .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

so how come the guy taking the throwins doesnt have to ask for permission to return to the pitch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Originally posted by Helix
    so how come the guy taking the throwins doesnt have to ask for permission to return to the pitch?

that is retarded.

missed the point of what The Muppet was saying. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i know what he was saying, i was just being awkward:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Yup its not allowed. It counts as interfering with play and re-entering the pitch without the referees permission.

It happened about 3 years ago in a Prem match where a player was pushed into the side netting at a corner, the ball went out and was played in, as the ball came forward (along with the keeper and a few othe rplayers) the guy got up and turned the ball into the net. The goal stood and there were many days of nagging.

It also happened in an African International match, I thinkit was for the African Cup qualifiers, the guy was actually being treated behind the goal and got up and ran on to the ball and scored. That stood too. Was on "What happened next" round of a question of sport.

I seen it happen twice, the first was Dion Dublin (I think) and the other was Robbie Keane last season. There was no complaints at all with the goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Apart from being a foul, it's blatantly unfair if the goal is allowed to stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by eireboy
    I seen it happen twice, the first was Dion Dublin (I think) and the other was Robbie Keane last season. There was no complaints at all with the goals.

completley different to what the thread is about!! this was a goalkeepers mistake and NOTHING to do with offside

Originally posted by VinnyL
    completley different to what the thread is about!! this was a goalkeepers mistake and NOTHING to do with offside
    The whole time i was looking at this thread I thought he meant what I just said. I should be reading the posts properly. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

If a player leaves the field of player deliberatly without permission he can be cautioned.

I was playing in a game about 3 years ago and I done my ankle in I was in the others teams half so I hobbled off the pitch so I wouldn't get done for offside if the ball cam back over to me. I was booked for leaving the field of play without permission.

In the player leaves the field of play because of his momentum then he is ok. remember you have to be Interfearing with play to be offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

what happens if u take a throw(in the other teams half) and dont come back into play until the ball comes near u and then u score ?

if he becoms active I'd imagine he can be blown for offisde, not sure do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by The Muppet
    A similar scenario happened recently in a prem match and the goal stood. cant remember the match but i,m sure someone else will.

Crespo' s goal against arsenal...

view an illustration of it here

He was onside WHEN THE BALL WAS PLAYED.

So thats allowed

Posted By Johnny the fox

Crespo' s goal against arsenal...

Thats The One.

Posted By Irish !

He was onside WHEN THE BALL WAS PLAYED.
    So thats allowed

Your missing the point Irish 1. He left the field of play to lace up his boots and returned without getting permission from the ref so the goal should not have been allowed. It should have been a free out.

Originally posted by The Muppet

Your missing the point Irish 1. He left the field of play to lace up his boots and returned without getting permission from the ref so the goal should not have been allowed. It should have been a free out.

That is a bookable offence doesn't mean the Ref has to stop play and award a free kick.

Checked the question about the throw out with my bro, he's a member of the FAI's school of excellence for ref's.

He said a player that stays off the pitch after a throw and then comes back on to gain an advantage can be cautioned for "Gaining an advantage from being absent from the field of play"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Irish 1. Ask your bro about these 2 I saw recently;

1) Defender & Attacker are tearing up the line nearing the goal-line. Attacker backheels the ball keeping it on the pitch but momentum takes both of them off the pitch. The attacker is 1st onto his feet and is about to run back to the ball. Before he gets to the pitch the defender hacks him down and he runs out with the ball. No penalty given, yellow card or nothing, play resumed with the attacker in a heap off the pitch

2) Pats v. Longford town. I always thought that to be onside there had to be 2 players between the player and the goal line unless the ball was played backwards or the player was behind the ball when kicked. At the end of the game there was only 2 players it the Pats half, one from each team. Longford broke and the ball was hoofed up the pitch. The attacker scored, was he not offside??

thegills

• Advertisement

I will do gills. In relation to Q2 was the other player the keeper??
    Or was the keeper not in his own half??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Longford's goal was offside but wasn't called.

In the first case, the defender should be red carded for a professional foul/stopping a goalscoring opportunity but no penalty/free kick seeing as the foul wasn't on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Irish1.
    The Pats keeper went up for a corner but when the ball was cleared made little effort to get back to his goal.

Ciaran,
    Is that the rule or an opinion?

thegills

If only one of the opposing team was behind the player then he was offside.

Ciaran is correct, red or yellow card but no penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Originally posted by thegills
    Ciaran,
    Is that the rule or an opinion?
    Well the card would be for the ref to decide I suppose but there's definately no free kick/penalty.

Advertisement