Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial-up Problems

• 08-11-2003 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    When I turn on the PC my system automatically dials-up, how can I stop this as it's not in the Start-up menu?

Secondly aftre using the Net I try and disconnect but can't. I get an error sayng that some protocols don't support 'plug-and-play' or that some other application is using the connection (no evidence of this in task manager)

Help!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

First get Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware, both available from http://www.download.com

Run them both as your problem could be due to a dialler that has installed on your system. Remove everything found by the above programs.

If the problem persists, report back.

Wheeler_1028.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

wheeler_1028,
    I'll download these in work tomorrow. Tried at home on dial-up - 2.2kb/s or 30minutes.

Anyone know if the Killaloe exchange is DSL'ed??

thegills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Just to note that if your using Internet Explorer there is an option to dial whenever your not connected to the internet,

To get rid of this open Internet Explorer and click on

tools -> options -> connections and you will see the option there , set to never dial a connection and it will open the dial-up box only when you want to go online

Hope this helps

Fionn

#tech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

think the biggest dial up problem ive ever had is just not being able to get through! when are they (the powers that be) gonna cop on and make broadband very available and very cheap??

in germany it costs 20 yoyos a month for broadband. lucky suckers..... :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Guys
    Thanks for all the advice.
    I downloaded both programs and got rid of a lot of rubbish. The problem didn't go though. Then I realised that there was an all users 'start-up' menu (W2K) as well as my own start-up menu. I deleted the rubbish in that and it solved the dial-up problem

My problem now is that I can't disconnect. When connected and I check the status it says 'IOL Free, 0 packets sent, 0 packets received'. When I try and disconnect an error comes up saying 'this device does not support plug and play protocol or else another application is using the connection'. Thing is there are no other apps running.

thegills

• Advertisement
Advertisement