Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB radio reception ?

Options
  • 08-11-2003 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

[I've tried searching for DAB on all forums but the dumb four-letter-minimum cut me off in my stride]

I've become hooked on BBC Radio 6 via the web (and of course Sky Digital).

Has anyone managed to receive UK DAB stations in Ireland ?
    If adding a decent antenna is likely to work then I'll give it a lash.
    Or am I asking too much of the laws of physics ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

As you say ALL DAB Radio broadcasts are available Free to Air via any 'Sky Digibox & Sat Dish' through your TV here in Ireland. I have mine set up via my surround sound set up as well, ruddy brilliant.

So I have no intention of spending money on one of those new DAB Radios.

I cancelled my Sky subscriptions a long time ago, but still get a load of TV & DAB Radio channels free.

P.:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by shabbyroad

Has anyone managed to receive UK DAB stations in Ireland ?
    If adding a decent antenna is likely to work then I'll give it a lash.
    Or am I asking too much of the laws of physics ?

You can't receive British stations in Ireland. In northern ireland there's only about 8-10 DAB stations you can receive and most of them are BBC.
    That's why i've never seen DAB radios on sale in the republic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

Boots in liffey valley have dab radios for sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I'd like to be able to listen in a couple of rooms in the house where I don't have a TV. I do have satellite connections in those rooms though - perhaps I should just get a couple of used digiboxes and active speakers.

...off to ebay so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

They say that the audio is not so good on DAB. Might be better on Sky which is a relay of some of the services that are available on the digital multiplexes.

Just shows you that the UK retailers don't care about the Irish market ... selling products that can't function over here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

did a bit more reading up on DAB and it appears that all is not it seems to be. apparently there's loads of compression on the audio so the dynamic range is not all it should be. claims of cd-quality sound are apparently <gasp say it ain't so that advertisements lie!> nonsense.

off to ebay for a couple of cheap digiboxes I go

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I wonder how much Boots are selling them for?

I do recall someone in sligo receiving DAB from NI, who posted over in ICDG terrestrial I think.

I listened to a portable DAB radio in central london in selfridges.
    It was on the fifth floor or thereabouts but well inside the building.
    Some of the channels were breaking up, although that was a dab that was tranny size and with just it's own telescopic aerial.

If they are selling them in boots in liffey valley and they are not too expensive,I might get one for the crack as I have a VP Vhf aerial on a mast which might bring something in.

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

Boots have dab radios for 161 euros and 268 euros.
    The dearer one has fm as well.

Originally posted by sixtysix
    Boots have dab radios for 161 euros and 268 euros.
    The dearer one has fm as well.

WHAT! I was looking at a really good one in the BBC shop in Belfast today for £85! (Less than 130 euro)
    Reception was grand for me when I tried it.
    I think I want one :-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

How bout irish stations like radio 1 and today fm. can u pick them up with dab, or do they not transmit in ireland

Originally posted by cuan
    How bout irish stations like radio 1 and today fm. can u pick them up with dab, or do they not transmit in ireland

I think RTE *may*. Not sure. Do a search on their website perhaps.

RTÉ did tests in late 1999, but its all off since.

I have a Psion Wavefinder DAB radio for the PC, it has yet to see a signal. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

That's a bit lame really. We seem to always get things last in this country, broadband etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by eth0_
    That's why i've never seen DAB radios on sale in the republic :)
    PC World in Limerick have some. And some DAB PC cards.

As you'll (correctly) point out, that doesnt make any sense at all given that you certainly can't pick up any DAB stations down here.

(I've no idea on price. I was in there to buy cd labels and I hadn't time to start laughing)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

For most serious radio listeners in England DAB has been a big letdown thats according to the various hi fi magazines as the radio stations have tended to use the advent of digital radio to increase the number of actual stations rather than the bit rate.

Anyways just a reminder as people often forget all the BBC radio stations well up as far as Radio 5 and the world service as well as various others are available on FM for anyone who has ntl.

You can even get them on a cheapo 'transistor' by running a wire from the cable box to the fm aerial itself just use a crocodile clip to clip it on.

Originally posted by sceptre
    PC World in Limerick have some. And some DAB PC cards.

As you'll (correctly) point out, that doesnt make any sense at all given that you certainly can't pick up any DAB stations down here.

This is absolutely ridiculous. They're selling something that....just plain doesn't WORK in Ireland. I know DAB radio's can pick up normal Fm stations but that's not why people buy them.

I'd be interested to go into PC World and act the n00b and see if they try and tell me I can pick up DAB in the republic. Pffth pc world.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by dub45
    For most serious radio listeners in England DAB has been a big letdown thats according to the various hi fi magazines as the radio stations have tended to use the advent of digital radio to increase the number of actual stations rather than the bit rate.

Do you think most people like digital TV for the extra channels or because it looks a tad sharper?

What I’ve read of DAB, if it was in Ireland it would be easy to bring a channel nationwide, so the like of Phantom could possibly broadcast throughout Ireland - correct me if I’m wrong. This would explain why RTE would not like DAB.

Do you think most people like digital TV for the extra channels or because it looks a tad sharper?

Hmm good question:) had not really thought about it. Probably a bit of both I would imagine. Most people are not interested at all in the technical side of these things so I assume that they dont even think about these things. On mature reflection I would go for the extra channels.
    What I’ve read of DAB, if it was in Ireland it would be easy to bring a channel nationwide, so the like of Phantom could possibly broadcast throughout Ireland - correct me if I’m wrong. This would explain why RTE would not like DAB.

I dont imagine this is the main reason I would imagine its a cost thing and that RTE did not see much in it for themselves.

I dont know if the Government here is pressing RTE in the same way that I think the Gov in England is pressing for the FM frequencies to be released.

It would probably cost RTE a lot just to try to educate people about DAB and they probably thought that with the high cost of DAB radios and the huge installed base of FM radios that very few people would bother buying them at least until the cost came down considerably. I dont think there is much advantage to DAB for most people anyways so why should RTE bother when they are under pressure for money in so many other areas.

Are there any DAB radios for under 50 euros yet?

When you think about it RTE has plent of competition anyway so I dont imagine that they would be greatly concerned with the impact of Phantom nationwide.

When you think about it RTE has plent of competition anyway so I dont imagine that they would be greatly concerned with the impact of Phantom nationwide.

Well, Phantom is just an example, of what I know of DAB, it would be cheeper and easer for any station to go nationwide

• Advertisement

Irrespective of the means (either fm or dab) any station that wanted to go nationwide legitimately anyways would require a license. are you talking in terms of it being easier for say pirate stations to go nationwide via dab?

Are there any DAB radios for under 50 euros yet?

Ha, I wish. Can't pick one up for less than STG£80

Irrespective of the means (either fm or dab) any station that wanted to go nationwide legitimately anyways would require a license. are you talking in terms of it being easier for say pirate stations to go nationwide via dab?

No, on the grounds it would be harder to refuse such, less costly, and not as technical hard. (Again correct me if I’m wrong – I’ve only read a limited amount on the subject)

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Of course it is. They were selling DSL modems in there before the first exchange went live too.

Originally posted by sceptre
    Of course it is. They were selling DSL modems in there before the first exchange went live too.

Before the first _business_ exchange went live? When was this?

Originally posted by monument
    No, on the grounds it would be harder to refuse such, less costly, and not as technical hard. (Again correct me if I’m wrong – I’ve only read a limited amount on the subject)

I'm guessing DAB broadcasting equipment costs a HELL of a lot more than regular analogue. If it were that easy, there'd be rafts of DAB stations in the UK :-)
    I don't get the 'harder to refuse' thing...afaik you're assigned an FM frequency aren't you? Same as a normal station?

I don't get the 'harder to refuse' thing

DAB has more room for stations then FM, right?
    If it were that easy, there'd be rafts of DAB stations in the UK :-)

More BBC stations, and at least one London station has gone nationwide. I'll look into it when I get time. You have to take into account DAB is only new.

DAB has more room for stations then FM, right?

Now I am a very untechnical person just want to make that clear but from what I understand organisations are awarded a space say ( I think its called a multiplex) and within that theres a certain amount of room. there is then the tradeoff between the number of stations that broadcast and the quality that they broadcast at. Sounds familiar? When BBC started DAB apparently quality was wonderful because theyused high rates for broadcasting. Just like ripping cds higher rate you rip at higher the quality but more space required.

The quality of BBC radio has apparently gone down as they have increased the number of stations in the multiplex.

So its not jsut a matter of broadcasting nationallly you would need acess to a muliplex first.

If I am misleading anyone here I apologise now:)

• Advertisement

Before the first _business_ exchange went live? When was this?
    Can't remember even a rough date eth0, but it was about a month ot two before the first (business) exchange went live (wouldn't have noticed except for having to read all the IOFFL posts). Of course the trials were running then but I've not heard of /anyone/ buying a modem or router for the trials.

Advertisement