Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QP: Positive stuff and lots more info.

Options
  • 28-09-1999 3:49pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here are some of the positive things I think about when I sit here and wonder wtf I put myself through this...

I've just come back from a visit to the site with the Gaelcon crew and all I can say is

Oh My God!

This place is custom built for us. We have our own room (about twice the size of area we had last year). With a balcony above us.

This room has a bar all for us!

If want a mental image of what its like, think of the scene in Bladerunner where Deckard meets Rachel (the good replicant) for the first time in Tyrells office and performs the Voigt-Compf test for the first time...
    Well its just like that (kinda). Its even got the sliding blinds down a sloped window with a great view.

Compared with this, the Burlo looks like a shanty town in Johanesburg.

Whats really good news is that we can drop our machines on Friday, directly into the room and set them up on the network (provided we do it between 7 and 9). This means we can get a running start on Sat with no set up time...

Each person will have their own decent sized table and we should all be able to fit around the outside this year...(its that big)

Power cables drop from the ceiling (but bring extension leads as you will need them).

I'm talking to a couple of companies about sponsorship but if anyone knows of some more who might be interested then please contact me.

Competitions that are going to be run are UT, SC, Q3, Q2, Q1 and others if there is interest.
    I'll personally run a CA 1 v 1 tournie (something koopa isnt *absolutely* certain to win).

Remember if you want to see something happen then get off your *****and stop waiting for someone to do it for you smile.gif

Anyone who approaches me with a kewl idea will get whatever help I can quickly throw their way.

This year there will be a timetable drawn up to accomodate everyone and all tastes, we have to stick to it this year as we have too many games to get through and most lans fall down on this point...

So lets have a little *positive* enthusiasm for our lan. Get shouting about it, make plans, make it THE event, come up with loopy ideas and lets have a blowout 3 days of gorging ourselves on gaming (and alchol) smile.gif

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

w00p! smile.gif

you really do too much for us man smile.gif, ta once again smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Great stuff Tomsers, but, you are NOT going to win the one on one CA, that honour belongs to our own Jadensers smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Slosh (edited 28-09-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭FutureQuakeDood

smile.gif oh cool smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif mad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Of course he won't win the CA tourney Brian, or even come second. (Second is where you'll come). smile.gif

What about a CA 2v2 tourney? Clan arena is after all a team game. I'd he happy to organise. (Not that it will take shag all organising.)

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

P.S. As far as I'm concerned, there is only one choice as a team mate in a 2v2 smile.gif

Hail To The King, Baby.

[DD]Jaden.
    (You thought they were dead. Wrong. You are.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Take it Quakapalooza !!

[DD]Slosh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

any food? those sarnies last year were just the ticket with a few pints smile.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ask and you shall recieve ... I forgot to mention the catering centre (read big shop stuffed with coke, chocs and sambos) withing the complex.

2v2 CA is a good idea, perhaps better then
    1 v 1 (altho that doesnt take long).

4 v 4 war and 4 v 4 CTF (winquake) will be running all weekend with a fixed compo at some stage (either regular clan war or Clan Survival style, probably the latter...)
    (Might even keep the reigning C.S. winners team intact eh Von? smile.gif )

If I get 4 servers (like I'm hoping for) I'm going to run 1 complete q1 server. One mostly q2 server (with maybe a webserver and ftp server on it too). One q3 server and one UT server. This will all depend on popularity, loadings and how many game servers per machine we can get on them.

More as I get it (anyone getting the tingles yet... I know I am smile.gif )

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

On the subject of allowing/not allowing TROLLS to qp, i dont think that post was appropriate FQD

Llama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

mmm CTF winquake start memorising those spawns.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think we should play some Ludo and stuff with the Gaelcon weirdos - just to see what ppl weirder than ourselves look like...

U get my email Tom???

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    homepage.tinet.ie/~davitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

Dont you love the way no matter how fringe a group in society is, they always manage to find someone else who they can give abuse to like they themselves were 'normal'.

Its amazing that people who try to argue that computer games should be a legitimate sporting event while still holding the same prejudices against other similar minorities.

Just remember, QP didnt just happen, it was an extention of a gaming convention (Gaelcon) that has been going on for well over a decade now, and has in the past taken in over 2-3 thousand people (or so they say). This should make your silly 50 computer 100 person lan look pretty stupid in comparison.

In addition, I am no doubt sure that you have played some of the computer game versions of games that have existed in convention life for many years - most of the RPG type games still use the original AD&D combat and magic system, Mechwarrior (and all its spinnoffs ) came from the original board game by FASA, and no doubt the whole idea of a strategy war game, a computer RPG and a host of other game types could not have existed without the original deveolpment done by those gamers that you so seek to demean.

</deep breath>
    </rant>

phew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

What kinda spec machines we looking at for the servers, out of interest?

'Course, we can always raid the Q2 server and lash on an extra UT if necessary smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I think it's the same demeaning people have for those that still use typewriters instead of a computer. smile.gif

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

err steady on skyclad, he was just taking the **** smile.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

SkyClad is right tho, if we told them all the organisation that goes into Quake around the world, they'd look at us as weirdos.

Similarly if I told you that there are national level champions for Magic and people regularly travel to over 12 separate conventions a year around Ireland to meet up with mates etc you'd think they were mad...

We cant hold prejudices, we're just as strange as they are....

Gaelcon for your info, runs on a budget of about 12 times that of QP. It attracts over 500 gamers from all over. Its been running for 12 years including this year and is the largest independant games convention in Europe. It started as a meet up for a few laughs with mates (I was one of them smile.gif )

DeVore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

DeV,
    i havent the time right now to mail you, besides id kinda like ppl to know what im thinking.
    the place its happening at i presume is actually within croke park?
    i know of a few places that are linked to somewhere but you end up going miles from the original spot. so the q is... the conference centre is in croke park is it?
    if so thats cool as i am about 20 mins walk away.
    i will be available on the friday to help in the evening, well, most of the day in fact to help set stuff up and get stuck in.
    luckily this time i have my own network card installed and its just waitin to be plugged in.

as well as helpin set up, i will also organise a few q2 comps if you want someone to get that side together.
    i will organise clan matches (that wil lbe real hard since theres only about 3 q2 clans in irelnad!)
    apart fro that i will spend a little time doing up a one-on-one tourney and a 2 v 2 tourney as well. only prob with that is that id prefer it to be a straight draw for the 2v2 as i know the best ppl will bunch together and theres **** all chance for the rest of us.
    so if ppl are interested drop me a mail.
    dev, if you think its ok for the help on friday and the organisation of the q2 stuff drop me a line and i'll see what i can do
    eamo

Shell of shotgun, Pint of gin
    Numb us up to shield the pins

WWMan,

The convention centre is actually IN Croke Park (some of the rooms for Gaelcon have a view of the pitch)

Organise Q2 away to your hearts content. If anyone else from Q2 wants to help then please feel free. I provide the infrastructure for you guys to run stuff.

Help on friday evening will be appreciated...

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ok,
    i will be there on he friday to lend a hand. just tell me closer to the date what time you want ppl there at to lend a hand.
    what time will be ppl be bringin their pc's an stuff down at.
    if you need someone there for an extended period during the afternoon, i should be free to let ppl in and give them a table if you want and maybe even get them ready to hook up to the lan, insatllin network cards etc

as for the q2 stuff , me and castor will organise that

i'm sure scobe would b up for a q2 clan match smile.gif

depending on where i/rev am/are on friday evening, we can help out too. and we'll stay off the drink till we're finished smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

erm, Sky - I was joking. I was at Gaelcon before, long before I knew how to turn on a PC - I've been playing Games Workshop (Warhammer and 40K) games for over 6 years - trust me, I know I'm weird tongue.gif

And yes, I'll probably go for a game or 2 this year (as I did last year) if there are games running where I don't need my models sunglasses.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

there DEFINITELY must be a dk/ins/scobe/cw tourny and a REAL ONE smile.gif

Advertisement