Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop help needed

• 08-11-2003 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Im gonna be using a laptop on the continent in the coming months and i want to find out if what if any plug adaptors im going to need-where can this info be found?
    Also, ive got an existing eircom account on my pc at home- can i pay the bill for net use when im away on the home acc?If you understand!
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Moved to technology.

Evil Phil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Voltage is the same as here (even if it wasn't many/most laptop A/C adapters are multi-voltage 100-240v). All you need is a plug adapter. You can get this for under a fiver at the airport, even less elsewhere (e.g. Roches Stores). If your laptop A/C adapter takes a standard 'radio cable' similar to a radio or video recorder, you can just bring a cable with a European two-pin plug at the end (which you may have lying about - I know I have several).

With regard to the internet you are better off signing up with an ISP in the country you are going to, otherwise it's an international call (if I understand you correctly). If it's short term, use a 'free' ISP (e.g. you pay for the phone charges only) - check out http://www.freedomlist.com/find.php3?continent=3 for a list of free European ISPs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the other thing is, that the eircom pop number for free accounts isn't accessable from outside ireland.

if you have a subscription account, you can change your pop number to one that will work in other contries, but as has already been said you'll be paying the cost of an international call to do this. if you really want it, you can dial +353 12171100 from outside ireland with a valid subscription username and password and it will work.

the other thing is, you will have to change your outgoing email server to that of the local ISP if you want to send email from your eircom email account, as although you can still receive your eircom email on your laptop as long as you are connected to the net somewhere in the world, you won't be able to use eircom's mail server to send email as it will be able to detect (though your IP address) that you are not dialled in through an eircom number and will not let you send emails.

by changing your outgoing mail server to that of the ISP you are using you can send email from your eircom account.

hope that helps. if you need any mroe info (or elaboration) post away and someone here will be glad to help.

bon voyage

Advertisement