Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explorer Error

Options
  • 09-11-2003 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

right...it did appear it was my hd that was [still is] dying. see thread in tech

anyway...now I'm getting an explorer error when I try n open My Computer, my C drive, my D drive.
    wrote down the error msg [explorer caused an enexception 03H in module MSHTML.DLL at 017f:70c8666e]

MS help said to reinstall the mshtml.dll...still no luck.

*/
    Windows 98se
    GF4 ti4200
    */

My graphics in games are all corrupted. C&C Gen: Zero Hour is in pink and green :eek:
    H&D2 is just blocks of white.

my graphics card giving up or worse??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

how about win98 giving up, its like 6 years old now, upgrade ur os

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ha..

had XP home but it was such a bitch...98 solved all my bsod's and game crashing probs :)

gonna put XP Pro on the new hd when I get it...but need to know if tis a new graphics card i need aswell...or what :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

id say 99% its a software problem, not a prob with the card, if it was a prob with the card you should see it everywhere, not just playin games

see i cant access and software...can open my computer or harddrive... to get to the software [start menu shortcuts dont work]

dxdiag doesn't tell me the chip and dac type for my graphics card either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

When you install Windows XP, it should pick up your card. Or look at the card itself (the name is usually on the card somewhere)

Sounds like your Win98 is goosed. Just put on XP, you'll lbe OK

• Advertisement

I'm not worried about XP not picking up the card...it could be damaged tho hence the probs I'm havink.

prior to this explorer prb, I was getting a ddhelp error in unknown module when i clicked on anything.
    latest 98 GF4 drivers fixed that and now I'm getting this.

btw...I DO need a new hd...apparently there is physical damage to my current one :confused: so I am looking into a new one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

right...it did appear it was my hd that was [still is] dying[/unquote]

hehe...yes I know butt I'm not 100% sure if a new hd will fix it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by bananayoghurt

We should have a Moronic Post of the Month as well imo... :rolleyes:

Kaimera, have you access to another (known working) PC you can try the potentially offending hardware in?
    Is your graphics card overclocked?

More than likely it's a problem with your graphics card drivers (and Windows itself) being screwed up because of your hard drive, but it's no harm to make sure.

all i can do is lug the hd down to college with me and try it on a mates pc there.

I have a vanilla GF4 ti4200 with 45.xx 98 drivers.

I have a XP Pro so i might get the hd this week and stick pro onto it and see how things work.

I'm just hoping it's not my card giving up tho :( [or worse my mobo]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by bananayoghurt

Dumb quote..

Win98SE is nice - esp if you use win98 lite to change back to Explorer from Win95. - does what most users want it to do.
    And how much would it cost to legally upgrade it to WinXP ?? - a new HDD would be cheaper :)

There are utils to detect HW - have a look on the HW forum...
    cf. pci32 / chkpci

as of today...my home pc is dead...or barely hanging on. :(

came home from college...she was still being a bitch..explorer error at every double click.

said I'd format and install XP incase it was 98se had turned bad.

fine.

formatted the hdd...installing files...30+% gone, cant find file x...80+% gone, cant find file y....but she installs.

reboot.

installing and finalizing installation....installing devices...BOOM.

BSOD

something about ntfs *blah*...

happenned the next 2 times aswell.

so as it stands, I have a pc with no OS and no way of installing one on my current piece of **** mother****ing hard drive :(

off to komplett i go...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

A a guess i.d say the system Memory is faulty or configured incorrectly, failing that i would step the cpu back a bit to see if that helped.

Advertisement