Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP/98 Dialup

Options
  • 09-11-2003 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

hey

I stuck an install of XP on a machine with 98, cause 98 was getting too a bit slow to boot. XP runs perfectly in allmost everywhere. One major problem tho is the dialup. In 98, dialup speed would allways eb 44k or more, the connection would be stable, and it would take less than 30 seconds to connect.

With XP, it takes ages to connect, most of the time it fails completly. and the odd time it does get through, the connection speed is horrible, and it usually disconnects after 10 minutes anyway. Also, in 98 you could actually hear the modem dialing, whereas now, its allways silent. Even after changing the settings for speaker volume.

I've downloaded the latest drivers for the modem , and tried messing around with the dialup settings..to no avail. I've kept the 98 installation just for the net, but i'd like to get rid of it all together.

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

why not do a full format of your drive and stick on xp i think there's a conflict between 98/xp regarding the modem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

because they're on different drives. they have nothing to do with each other.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Do you just reboot to switch OS's ?
    Try shutting down and then press the reset button (or power on/off) to see if that makes any difference..

If it works file under "go figure"

Advertisement