Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question....

Options
  • 30-09-1999 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Got UT last night - in short wow.

Hoverever I only get 40fps at 640 *480 with me 16meg tnt card. Pretty bad considering I have a PII 450 and 256megs. Need a TNT2 me thinks ! smile.gif

So what I want to know plz is what is the best TNT ultra card, where can I get it and how much !

Thanx !

bubbaloo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

dont go near compustore unless you want to come out with a signifigantly reduced wallet.

Game sell the creative Ultra TNT2 for £179.
    At least they did, EB, Game etc.. seem to have stopped selling hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

dont expect any huge increase in FPS in UT at 640*480,

according to the website tnt2 cards are not fill rate limited up to about 800*600, so its probably your processor thats slowing you down.

ive a p2-433 tnt2 and i run at 800*600, i get average 40-45 fps in UT

but i turn down the detail levels etc. to lowest

the processor is too slow

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Coyler

This little discussion raises some serious questions.Are there any stores in Dublin that price the hardware reasonably?(I think gmae and EB have stopped stocking).Are there any sites on the web that dont charge huge delivery costs?If so tell me.
    At the moment im lucky enough to know someone in the states but I would like to be able to pop down the town and purchase wares and fell as if its a good deal.
    I've only recently started earning cash and now realize that you need to spend a small forture if you want to stay with technology never mind cutting edge
    Sorry to rant but I'm venting some pent up aggression.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Guillemot Xentor TNT2 Ultra is clocked at the highest speed. (the Hercules was higher but they're next to impossible to get a hold of nowadays)

Get it from www.simply.co.uk, should be about £200 all in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Good question. I don't think that any Dublin (or irish) retailers can cut it (unless someone on the boards is actually in the buisness of importing h/w and is willing to discount for Cloud Boarders...)

Anyhow, how about doing a 'I want to get a 'whatever', anyone interested???' type mail, x number of people reply, everyone pays for what they want up front (?) and everyone shares the transport costs.

The logistics are a bit mad, but you could do it for low, low prices!

Don't forget, shop smart, shop S-Mart!!!

smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Is there no where in dublic I can pick one up ? Kinda want to get it today smile.gif)

bubbles

bubbles@iol.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

EB carried the xentor cards previously i dont recall if they had the Ultra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If you dont mind being ripped off a bit, you can get the Creative Riva TNT2 Ultra in Compustore on Stephens green for 230 quid.

right so..

how much do scan.co.uk charge for delivery to dublin?
    say for a motherboard, ram and cpu.

memax are ripoff's at 30quid sterling ex.vat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭juNkie

I believe Colonel Mustard did eeeeit in daa study wit daa candle steeeeeeeik.

I also belive that Dunnes are doin a great line of yellow pack TNT cards, with a buy one get one free promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

D'you get free clubcard points with that?

Anyway, it was Colonel Mustard with Miss Scarlet in the bedroom, as we all know...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i was in st stephens green park yesterday and i saw a lesser spotter guillimot warbler.

but i dont think it was for sale. it was eating a piece of bread actually and had lovely soft brown feathers and a perfectly shaped beak.

not much good for 3d rendering though, but sure...you never know.

might be nice company for an elderly person during the winter. collect their pension and butter vouchers and make cups of tea. that sort of thing. what you reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭koloth

I think you've been in the sun too long.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah tis funny Koloth. Homeworld appears on the game shelves today and simultaneously at number 3 in their charts. Also they seem to have settled their dispute over Kingpin as it has also appeared.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

I wouldnt touch one yet. The GeForce is due out in the States early this month and if you check http://www.upgradesource.com/ . If you know someone in the States that will get it for you there and then maybe bring it over, you'd be sorted 'cos it looks like its going to retail at $211!!!

Kingpin was on the shelf for sale yesterday. Homeworld was also on the shelf (with the stuff in the box) but Oct 1st marked on it. Hate the way they do that. Anyway, couldn't wait another day so went ahead and bought SS2 - that better be a good game!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I want something like that Voodoo 3500 with the tv in/out, dvd, but with a TNT2 chipset. The nearest I've found is Asus (at www.scan.co.uk) but it doesn't seem to have DVD.

Oh and Eamo, I think you need to get a capture card to get the guillemot.

IT'S THE WAY I TELL 'EM!!!

p.s neither me or Eamo or as far as I know any sea-faring birds work for Scan, thank you.

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

Was in Game yesterday and could have sworn I saw that Guillemot Xentor TNT2 Ultra for 200 quid.

And Homeworld is out and on the shelves!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

EB in Liffey Valley sell both the TNT2 16MB (£99) and the Ultra (£179). They also should have the Neon250 32MB soon (approx. £120) which when patched up a bit should be faster than a TnT2 for Quake3 & UT.

Scan.co.uk charge a minimum of £30 to ship to Ireland. Not worth it for a single gfx card.

(Directed to amp) I don't know what you mean about the TnT not "doing" DVD, it obviously can't ENCODE DVD but like all cards made in the past two years it can play it back fine with its DVD hardware assist.

I also think its worth waiting to the Geforce, at the very least it'll push the price of the TnTs down.

KodaChrome

[This message has been edited by KodaChrome (edited 02-10-99).]

• Advertisement
Advertisement